Uncharted Director Wants to Include as Much of the Game's Action as Possible

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Uncharted Director Wants to Include as Much of the Game's Action as Possible

The director says he wants to make the best movie that he can.

Uncharted fans have cause to be happy, or at least cautiously optimistic: Neil Burger, the new director behind the Uncharted movie, seems to be something of a fan of the game, and says that he wants to get as many of its "very cool and very intense" moments into the movie as he can.

Burger said that what appealed to him about Uncharted was that it was a "classic, great adventure." He said that he really like the character of Nathan Drake, comparing him to someone like a war correspondent or an extreme adventurer. "I know guys like him ... these guys that are living in a very different way and who are slightly hustlers or con men. I think it's a great character."

He was aware that previous videogame adaptations hadn't lived up to their potential, but said that the way to break that streak was just to make the best movie you could out of the material. "We need to make it exhilarating and wild," he said. "Make you completely identify with this character and take you along on this ride."

As exciting as this all sounds, it's probably going to be quite a while before we actually get to see the movie. Burger has confirmed that he is essentially starting from scratch on the project. Burger is also writing the script for the movie, which is a pretty handy for getting exactly the movie exactly the way he wants it.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/neil-burger-uncharted-movie-limitless/103196/]

Dec 14, 2009
Meh, I never look foward to movies based on games anyway, so It's not like I'm disappointed when they end up being terrible.

Also, inb4 the Nathan Fillion fanboys (seriously, why is that guy considered cool?)

Sep 14, 2009
huh color me interested, I loved the games and obviously he does, and uncharted is a "movie like" game anyways, so If any movie has the possibility to be a GOOD video game movie, i would say its uncharted

(Note: I really liked prince of persia, but I think uncharted can do better.)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Thank god for that!

The first thing I do when I sit down and play Uncharted 2 is think to myself: "man, I wish this lasted only 2 hours and didn't let me play it, that'd be awesome!".

Its a little ridiculous that we're making films based on games that are based on films.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The important thing about Uncharted is getting Drake right, characters drive entertainment media. If the character back story is written like in the games, and the actor looks and acts enough like Nate Drake, you could potentially stick him into any generic treasure hunting story and it would still be Uncharted.

Personally I would hope they go for a new story instead of rehashing one we've already seen better in the games. That way, if they don't butcher the characters, it feels like part of the cannon instead of a shameless cash in.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
I saw the Uncharted movie years ago, what was it caleld again...? Oh, right! Indiana Jones!

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Just as long as that action doesn't involve curses and swearing at puzzles and then going to gamefaqs.com to look up the answer.

Not that I've done that of course... because I'm awesome.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Harbinger_ said:
Just as long as that action doesn't involve curses and swearing at puzzles and then going to gamefaqs.com to look up the answer.

I don't see how anyone got stuck on the uncharted puzzles. If the painfully obvious solution didn't smack you in the face you just needed to open up your book and it essentially told you exactly what to do.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
AC10 said:
Harbinger_ said:

I don't see how anyone got stuck on the uncharted puzzles. If the painfully obvious solution didn't smack you in the face you just needed to open up your book and it essentially told you exactly what to do.
There was one puzzle in the first game that was especially difficult to solve just because Drake wouldn't interact properly with the object. This is me remembering back 3 years so I'm a bit fuzzy.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Considering the actual writer for the game made a decent Hollywood blockbuster in video game form, why not just hire them?

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Good luck, Mr. Berger! You're sure as hell gonna need it!

Seriously, it's going to take a lot to convince me that it will a] not suck and that it b] needs to exist. An Uncharted movie could work, but it's gonna be very difficult to make me feel that it should've been a movie instead of another game.

Though having Nathan Fillion would help... :)

puffy786

Jun 6, 2011
Well if it try to be a movie like experience, it should remember to be at least 7 hours long, and actually let the player do something. The game shouldn't be littered with uninteractive cutscenes or parts that just require boring navigation. I really hated the platforming puzzles for the second game, as they were so many objects that looked climbable that were not, so I wish that boring platforming would go away.