Summer Is Magical In Battlefield Heroes

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Summer Is Magical In Battlefield Heroes

To celebrate the most oppressively muggy time of year, EA's Battlefield Heroes is getting some new recruits, namely wizards.

Normally, Battlefield Heroes is a military-themed, free-to-play online shooter. It borrows the majority of its gameplay tenets from Battlefield 1942 and its sequels, though Heroes' art style is decidedly more cartoony than its gritty predecessor.

Likewise, the game is more lighthearted than the standard Battlefield series, as evidenced by the otherwise inexplicable appearance of wizards within the game.

The official Battlefield Heroes site heralds the arrival of these magically inclined soldiers, and offers a kayfabe explanation for their presence:

Powerful wizards wielding new powers join the battle!

Wielding devastating arcane powers these highly trained wizards will bring never before seen destruction onto the battlefield.

Become a master of the forbidden arts with Bane's Toxic set for the Nationals or use powerful arcane magic with Frost's Biting set for the Royals.

That's not all! Rumour has it that many centuries ago, two legendary wizards named "Arcane" and "Inferno" were sealed within boxes. The Nationals and Royals have both stumbled upon these boxes with the name "Pandora's Box" etched into the side. Do you dare to open Pandora's box and unleash the power of Arcane and Inferno?

So that totally clears it up. Now the wizards showing up in the middle of a World War II analogue totally make sense, right? I mean, obviously they're after Pandora's Box. Everyone knows that.

Levity aside, I don't really care that this doesn't make any logical sense. The gameplay in that clip up there looks way fun. Combating snipers with miniature black holes? You won't see those kinds of hinjinks in Modern Warfare 3.

Source: Battlefield Heroes [http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/en/]

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Battlefield Heroes takes more after Team Fortress 2 than the rest of the Battlefield series. I wouldn't bat an eye if a wizard showed up on TF2 (there's already been a ghost, after all) and I don't bat an eye at this.

NEEDS MORE HAT.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010

That is awesome. If I didn't have BFBC2, I'd definitely try this out.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Dang it, why did I have to play Battlefield Heroes during it's "We're Team fortress 2 Lite for free!" period? Now TF2 has sucked all of my online gaming time and I'll have no time to play this...in-between trading hats and eventually giving in to Valve's brilliant micro-transaction scam...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Phlakes said:

That is awesome. If I didn't have BFBC2, I'd definitely try this out.
Battlefield: Heroes is F2P and browser-based. Give it a shot just for laughs, I found it pretty entertaining, especially for a free game.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Holy shit, EA is still keeping the game running? I remember testing it, and most of the other testers were pissed that:
A) people paid money to rent digital items that lasted only a week or 2
B) The incredible time sink to get enough in-game points for just a few items was too big to rope enough people into paying for the game.

It was like that upon release too; a big rush to play it, then the mass exodus for the reasons mentioned above. They didn't listen to the testers who were or would have been paying customers. I could only stomach a few weeks before giving it up.

EA can't get it through their dense corporate skulls that it's pointless to make an F2P game if you're making it too difficult for people to actually play for free! They never learn that most people see through attempts to force them into paying for microtransactions and will go someplace else out of spite.

ramboman88

Jul 24, 2009
LOLOLOLOLOL

It's not a new class, it's just a skin, which of course you can buy... and the big magic thing only has limited uses until I suppose you need to pay for a refill!

:p

EDIT: I see that they have a lot of pretty cool skins (item packs), and that it's usually a single item that gives the special, limited ability. One of them was a jetpack... as soon as I saw the jetpack I noticed they actually know how to gauge money fropm their clients... I feel helpless now...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Nurb said:
Holy shit, EA is still keeping the game running? I remember testing it, and most of the other testers were pissed that:
A) people paid money to rent digital items that lasted only a week or 2
B) The incredible time sink to get enough in-game points for just a few items was too big to rope enough people into paying for the game.

It was like that upon release too; a big rush to play it, then the mass exodus for the reasons mentioned above. They didn't listen to the testers who were or would have been paying customers. I could only stomach a few weeks before giving it up.

EA can't get it through their dense corporate skulls that it's pointless to make an F2P game if you're making it too difficult for people to actually play for free! They never learn that most people see through attempts to force them into paying for microtransactions and will go someplace else out of spite.
Exactly why I stopped playing. I remember someone did a mathematical equation and found that it was literally impossible to maintain an upkeep of valor points required to maintain rentals on new weapons.

And of course there was the massive VP price spike, as well as the extra benefits given to Battle Fund players.

And the Nationals are still overpowered due to their starting base advantages.