Latest Behind The Scenes Clip Examines Vast RAGE World

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Latest Behind The Scenes Clip Examines Vast RAGE World

[video=3739]

Beyond the guns, beyond the explosions, beyond the dystopian street racing, lies the vast world of RAGE. id Software's latest vignette explores the burned-out realm.

Through all the media we've seen from RAGE over the last few months, one of the quirks that few people ever mention is how large the world seems. That's no surprise given the game's focus on immediate, bombastic action and brutal violence, or id's history as the industry's best "corridor shooter" developer, but RAGE is more than just point-blank shotgun decapitations.

Yesterday RAGE publisher Bethesda Softworks issued the above clip; four-and-a-half minutes of gameplay footage and conversation with the game's creative team on what went into the construction of the game's vast world.

"The wasteland in RAGE is kinda like a plate that the rest of the game sits on," says creative director Tim Willis. He then goes on to explain a system of exploration that seems almost roleplaying game-esque in its scope.

"In RAGE we try to make the game open, but directed. Player choice is very important in RAGE," Willis adds.

It interesting that id would seemingly put such focus on offering players a large realm to explore as they see fit. This is a firm with a very distinguished history in the gaming business that hinges almost entirely on games wherein the player has a very static, pre-defined path to walk.

Generally that path is littered with all manner of demonic and cybernetic foes trying to end the player's metaphorical stroll via rocket launcher or color-coded railgun, but the general specifics of id titles have rarely been in question.

Is RAGE an attempt to branch out into more open-world-style gameplay? If so, will id's die-hard fans accept that from the people best known for DOOM and Quake?

Or is everything copacetic as long as the headshots are visceral and the 'splosions are satisfying?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
As excited as I am about Rage, I cringe when they boast about electrifying the water as a hot feature.

Apr 28, 2008
MiracleOfSound said:
As excited as I am about Rage, I cringe when they boast about electrifying the water as a hot feature.
Yeah, I laughed at that.

It's not a hot feature anymore. Yeah it was neat the first time we did it, but it's not exactly that impressive now.

Much like Valve's see-saw physics puzzles.

Dec 27, 2010
Meh, I'm not seeing anything particularly interesting about this, seems like Call of Duty: Fallout, with added vehicle combat. I would just prefer normal Fallout.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
RAGE looks like Jak 3 having a threesome with Fallout 3 and Borderlands - with Dark Sector coming in for a quickie to leave behind the Glaive that has now become the Wind Stick.

And in case you didn't notice: that's a good thing.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Irridium said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Yeah, I laughed at that.

It's not a hot feature anymore. Yeah it was neat the first time we did it, but it's not exactly that impressive now.

Much like Valve's see-saw physics puzzles.
heh, I remember getting the invulnerability power up in Quake then jumping to the water with the electric gun and frying all them bastards ^-^

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
As far as I gathered, the open world part is less the levels themselves and more that part of platformers with doors to the various levels albeit a lot larger and more involving one of those.

This game really interests me, have to see what happens when it comes out. Firefly and Starcraft have forever stolen those chords at the end from the true west to me. It's more, wow this western hsa firefly style music

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Well it looks to be the closest thing to Mad Max (2) the game. Which is a good thing

andreas3K

Feb 6, 2010
Looks somewhat unoriginal. I mean, the scifi wasteland shooter thing has been done a few times in the recent years. Despite that, it still looks pretty amazing and unlike Fallout 3 and Borderlands, it doesn't have an RPG system fucking up the shooter gameplay.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Alternatively, you could just play this trailer and it would have the same effect:

Behold, the film that 'atompunk' titles can't seem to stop borrowing from. Not that it's a bad thing.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
I had no idea ID was publishing this through Bethesda! Awwwww nuts.... Wolfenstein was done through Activision what happened?? Seems fitting since I'm buying this instead of Skyrim....

OT: Thanks for the video this game is looking just as great as I knew it would be. I can't wait for this in October! I wish I knew more specifics about the free "Anarchy Edition" upgrade though. Anyescapist have some details?