U.K. Scientists Warn of "Planet of the Apes Scenario"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.K. Scientists Warn of "Planet of the Apes Scenario"

Scientists in the U.K. are warning of a looming "Planet of the Apes scenario" that could result from ongoing experimentation and "humanization" of animals.

The last thing any of us wants is a bunch of damn dirty apes poking and pawing at us and making us their slaves, which is why we might want to pay attention to a new report put together by U.K. researchers calling for new regulations on the "humanization" of animals for research purposes, including at outright ban on "Category Three" experiments. Scientists in the U.K. are not allowed to experiment on great apes like chimpanzees but such research is permitted in other countries, including the U.S., and as the inimitable Rise of the Planet of the Apes [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8653962/Scientists-warn-of-Planet-of-the-Apes-scenario.html].

"The fear is that if you start putting very large numbers of human brain cells into the brains of primates, suddenly you might transform the primate into something that has some of the capacities that we regard as distinctively human [such as] speech, or other ways of being able to manipulate or relate to us," said Professor Thomas Baldwin, part of the Academy of Medical Sciences working group that wrote the report. "These [are] possibilities that are at the moment largely explored in fiction [that] we need to start thinking about now."

Baldwin said that if modified monkeys, which can be legally used for research purposes in the U.K., begin to display abilities similar to those of chimpanzees, we'd all better arm up and head for the hills - or, at the very least, slow things down a bit. "If it's heading in that direction, red lights start flashing," he added. "You really do not want to go down that road."

Aside from ethical concerns and the potential for maniacs to blow it up [God damn you all to hell], the report also noted the "Frankensten fear" that such experimentation could create "monsters."

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Any tests that attempt to make animals more human should be given a big sticker that reads "Warning: Likely To Be A Really Fucking Bad Idea."

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
My nuclear missile trumps your Frankenstein-Scenario. Thank you very much, Researcher lunging for Attention by cashing in on an obsolete movie.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
I would restrain from doing this more from ethical reasons rather than being afraid of intelligent animals staging a coup on their human masters.

If we did this and made animals capable of interacting with us in a human way are they still animals? Are they people? Do they get rights? Should they still be treated as inferior to us?

Moral minefield.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Aside from ethical concerns
Shouldn't that be the real fear? That we unwittingly create something that isn't human, but undeniably a person, then proceed to abuse them?

It seems so selfish that people are more worried about the point after that, when we've made them so pissed off that they feel the need to overthrow us.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
These kind of outrageous remarks are why noone takes you serious Medical Science. Now get back at doing some drug testing and leave real monkey brain science to biologists and chemists.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
What a silly fear. Obviously the robots will exterminate both us and our gorilla super soldiers long before this becomes something to worry about.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Why would you want to make apes more humanlike anyway? Laser eyes I understand but like us...?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
That's quite a silly fear. No matter how many apes we manage to make just as smart as humans, humans will still outnumber them a million to one. I don't care how many gorillas they have on their side, we still beat them with sheer numbers. That's why the new Planet of the Apes movie is silly.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I'm more worried about the constant effort to make life easier by creating the real AI. How much easier can it get? People are starting to become really fuckin' lazy. They are making things way to easy for our future robot masters.

Seriously, people need to stop with this sci-fi crap. If monkeys try something they will simply shoot them and shut down the experiment. Real life isn't like Hollywood. That's why zombie outbreak will never happen.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
If it started looking like Planet of the Apes was going to happen we could...you know, just kill the apes. They can be smart all they want but I don't think they can deflect a carpet bombing.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Its almost enough to make me shed a tear...

Not for the testing animals, but that some bigots calling themselves scientists think they can use fictional works as a means to stop experimentation on animals that are purpose bred for for experimentation.

But what is really pissing me off is that its coming from the UK.

Stilkon said:
Wait, wait, wait... Experiments like that actually exist?
There is so much you dont know and should probably never learn of.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Quaxar said:
Why would you want to make apes more humanlike anyway? Laser eyes I understand but like us...?
It's so you can test pharmaceutical, and other, procedures and drugs in as close to a human scenario as possible, without human testing.

Testing on humans is generally frowned upon in the scientific community, but monkeys are perfectly acceptable subjects, so making them as close to human as possible makes your test that much better. I find the whole thing kinda silly and think we should just move on to voluntary (or convicted) human testing, but that's life.

Edit: Also, let it be known that whoever came up with the original report is just a fearmonger trying to grab attention with the new Planet of the Apes movie. It's not feasible for there to be a successful monkey uprising from one of these testing facilities. The real problem is the ethical nature of the testing. If it's not acceptable to experiment on humans, why is it acceptable to experiment on a monkey that qualifies by one or more philosophical metrics? Questions like that are the real dilemma.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
I think there should be a report classifying all experiments producing sapient chimp-human hybrids as goddamned awesome.

Screw "God's domain." He doesn't want us trespassing, he should have put up a sign or something. I want to talk to a chimp within my lifetime.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
I for one welcome our demi-humanoid brethren. All Terran life forms will be needed to rally together against the alien invaders so any hand, paw or hoof that can hold a gun will be needed!

In all seriousness, science should be not be about imposing limitations on what can be done. If you can make a chimpanzee that can talk then your next step is to teach it Shakespeare. More Dr Moreau than Planet of the Apes

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Uh huh... well, when they develop fission technology, we should probably start worrying. Until then, nope.