The Videogame History Museum Needs Your Help

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Videogame History Museum Needs Your Help

The Videogame History Museum is an ambitious new non-profit charity created by the guys behind the Classic Gaming Expo, and it needs your help to get off the ground.

The Classic Gaming Expo's been entertaining folks for over a decade, and its founders are now taking the concept one step further with the Videogame History Museum. The Museum is designed to preserve the industry's past; the bad news is that the venture hasn't been fully funded yet, but the good news is that you can help solve that.

John Hardie, Sean Kelly, and Joe Santulli are the guys who established the Classic Gaming Expo, and they're seeking $30,000 in startup cash to help finance additional fundraising ventures (as well as to help the show travel to various trade shows). While that's a rather large amount of money, this is a pretty impressive-sounding project , based on what Sean Kelly says:

"The museum we envision promises to be all-inclusive, comprehensive and interactive. Unlike some of the other efforts in recent years which have a limited focus, our intention is to cover it all: every game made for every system, every piece of promotional material made for each game, every revision of every console with specific notes as to the differences, the design progression, and so on."

On top of this, Joe Santulli explained that, "the videogame industry is double the size of the music industry and while there are several music 'halls of fame' and museums, there isn't a single dedicated, all-inclusive videogame museum."

Funds for the Videogame History Museum are being raised on Kickstarter. As of right now, the project has raised almost $11,000 and it still has 37 days to go. If you're interested in helping out, <a href=http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1760848975/the-videogame-history-museum>you can kick in some cash here or you can <a href=http://www.vghmuseum.org/news.shtml>read up some more on the project at its official website.

OneBig Man

Jul 23, 2008
Shoot, just go into the Angry Videogame Nerd's basement. That might as well be the museum.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
"The museum we envision promises to be all-inclusive, comprehensive and interactive. Unlike some of the other efforts in recent years which have a limited focus, our intention is to cover it all: every game made for every system, every piece of promotional material made for each game, every revision of every console with specific notes as to the differences, the design progression, and so on."

Well, that's certainly ambitious.

Does their goal sound a little more....possible in context?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Aw, if only it was an actual museum I could visit. That'd almost be worth having kids for.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Heh, lofty goals. I'm sure there are games out there that are so close to impossible to find that they would take years to gather. But isn't that the whole point of a museum?

I like. I hope this gets off the ground.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
If it gives me a chance to play the nintendo virtualboy, I'm in. I wanted it so bad when it was being hyped, so many years ago. I don't think I've even been in the same state as one, however, considering how bad it flopped.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
starwarsgeek said:

Well, that's certainly ambitious.

Does their goal sound a little more....possible in context?
If this thing became legitimate a lot of Devs and publishers would probably donate a lot of those things. A lot of stores will also sell merchandsing stuff once it's time for their new set up and a lot of this kind of thing is somewhat recreated online so I'd say they could find old promotional stuff. It's doable with patience.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
This is the second time an Escapist News article brings this 'cause' to attention.
Yet another in a proud new tradition of reposting news.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Just tell extra credits. They would get several thousand pounds Dollars for this thing.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Can you donate old consoles for the museum by any chance? I have an original Sega Master System II lying around in my attic thats doing nothing right now...