Diablo III Diorama Now Available for Preorder

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Diablo III Diorama Now Available for Preorder

Are you a Diablo [http://www.diablo3.com/] fan with 300 bucks and nothing to do? Maybe you'd be interested in the exclusive and very expensive new Diablo III statuette, "Overthrown."

Created by Sideshow Collectibles [http://www.blizzard.com], the Overthrown statuette features the Diablo III barbarian in full battle regalia, axes in hand, raging defiantly at the Heavens, or perhaps at you, depending on the height of your shelf. The polystyrene diorama is the first in a planned Diablo III Collectibles series, standing roughly six apples high and individually painted and finished to the most exacting of standards. At 300 bucks a pop, I would certainly hope so.

right here [http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=8023].

At least it's cheaper than Frostmourne [http://www.epicweapons.com/products/frostmourne/]. Rumors that John Funk has already ordered two are probably true.

Source: Diablofans.com [http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=8023]

SAccharing10

Jul 3, 2008
I don't understand why they think people would spend this amount of money on something like that - I looked into the WoW figurines, very nicely made and handcrafted but for £120 it's just not worth the price.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Malygris said:
standing roughly six apples high
Fruit needs to become the new standard for measurement. Let's forget that Metric and other garbage.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
The sort of person who will pay for this is extremely likely to go apeshit over the sequels 'failed' attempts to innovate/slightest change to the formula.

SAccharing10

Jul 3, 2008
BlindTom said:
The sort of person who will pay for this is extremely likely to go apeshit over the sequels 'failed' attempts to innovate/slightest change to the formula.
Nobody who worked on Diablo 2 is working on Diablo 3, for a start it wasn't even blizzard, it was Blizzard north, then after they made it, Blizzard fired them, stole basically all the ideas for Warcraft 3/World of warcraft - then the guys who got fired made Hellgate: London, which failed, but I heard the key designer for Fallout 1 and 2 is working on Diablo 3, so I have mix feelings about it.

Reg0

Dead Eye
Jun 15, 2009
The apple is so shiny, shinier than the statue, i wonder how much it would cost ;o

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
SAccharing10 said:
BlindTom said:
Nobody who worked on Diablo 2 is working on Diablo 3, for a start it wasn't even blizzard, it was Blizzard north, then after they made it, Blizzard fired them, stole basically all the ideas for Warcraft 3/World of warcraft - then the guys who got fired made Hellgate: London, which failed, but I heard the key designer for Fallout 1 and 2 is working on Diablo 3, so I have mix feelings about it.
That's kinda what I mean, I'm not pointing any fingers but franchises revived by people other than their original creators have a certain 'reputation' and the people this kind of merchandise is aimed at would be fools not to have mixed feelings themselves.

I'm just finding it hard to envision a demographic still going for this whilst being resigned to the fact that they're not the core market anyway.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
What kind of apples are we talking about here? Last I checked Golden Delicious were a lot taller than Macintoshes. Looks to be a pretty standard apple you have there but I thought I'd ask and see.
I use Granny Smith as my standard measurement units.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SAccharing10 said:
BlindTom said:
Wow. That's incredibly untrue :p

No one was fired from Blizzard North. A bunch of them decided they wanted to go form their own studio, they did, (and Hellgate: London failed) and the other B-North people got rolled into the main Irvine campus. So there are definitely D2 people working on D3. Also, Jay Wilson, the project director, was one of the leads on Relic's Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, not the Fallout titles. I'm fairly sure he was never at Black Isle.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Malygris said:
standing roughly six apples high
I fell out of my chair laughing. That was the best bit of humor I've experienced in a long while...thank you Malygris.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
gRiM_rEaPeRsco said:
Why don't they spend less time fannying about and just finish the bloody game?
I don't think people working on engine, gameplay, balancing and testing for bugs are busy making those figurines.

I'd buy it, if I had spare thousands of dollars and if it was Diablo. Not Barbarian, I don't like that character.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Malygris said:
standing roughly six apples high and individually painted and finished to the most exacting of standards. At 300 bucks a pop, I would certainly hope so.
That's bloody hilarious if you miss the first part of the sentence (it's pretty good if you don't, too :p) If it was 5 apples high, I would expect it at half the price!

And yes, I think fruit should become the new unit of measurement for the world.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Khell_Sennet said:
For that kind of money, I'd have expected it to be the King Cow from the secret cow level.
I would never buy anything like pictured above, ever, not for that price.

I would however consider a King Cow at that price. Though I probably wouldn't buy it, considering is more than I ever did for the Barb.