PSN FF7 Gets 100k Downloads

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PSN FF7 Gets 100k Downloads

Gamers seem especially eager to replay Square's groundbreaking PS1 JRPG: Final Fantasy VII has sold 100,000 copies via the PSN store in just one week.

The Emo Amnesiac Adventures of Cloud 'N Pals - better known in some circles by its unofficial title, Final Fantasy VII - is a fond memory for many a gamer. It introduced an entire generation of gamers to the convoluted storylines, giant swords, and even gianter hair of the JRPG. For many, it was a mindblowing cinematic experience unlike anything they'd ever experienced before. For others, it was an exercise in frustration in breeding that goddamn golden Chocobo.

Apparently, Square-Enix decided that it had had enough of releasing spinoffs and movies to milk the FF7 name, and just cut to the chase - last week, the classic PS1 title hit the PlayStation Network, clocking in at 1.32 GB for $9.99. In just one week, it became the fastest-selling PS1 title on the PSN store, selling a rather impressive 100,000 copies. At $10 a pop, that's a cool million bucks split between Squeenix and Sony... not half-bad, when you think about it.

Of course, one could easily see this as testing the waters for a true current-gen FF7 remake. If this is any evidence, an honest remake might do rather well ... and would likely have rumors about it being multiplatform for the Xbox 360 from the moment it was announced. Still, Squeenix seems reticent to commit to a full remake of the game, possibly because it might mean they couldn't do any more spinoffs.

Still, it won't stop gamers clamoring for a remake. Or will it stop other gamers clamoring that they should let it rest and move on already. Nope, they're just going to keep yelling at each other. And all is right with the world.

Sony also announced further PS1 titles to hit the PSN Store this summer: Wild Arms 2, Mobile Light Force and Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol. None of which will sell even half as well as FF7, but hey, you can't blame them for trying.

(Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/23/psn-re-release-of-final-fantasy-vii-downloaded-over-100-000-time/])

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
I really need to try this game, it has enough fanboys watering at the teeth over it that I'm interested.
Go in with lowered expectations.
Coming from someone who hates Random Encounters: it's good, not "THE BEST GAM3 EVAR!!!!"

Pirate Brahm

Jan 9, 2008
From experience, it's a tough game to go back to and try to replay. In terms of gameplay and graphics, it didn't age as well as the 16-bit classics.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
You can download and play this on the PSP right?
If so then Ill make sure to get this before I go on vacation.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Played it. Had a jolly good time with the minigames and found out that breeding the golden chocobo was the easiest thing ever (once you learn the secret. ;) ).

The story is rather convoluted though. Cloud isn't an emo really, but the story will have the logical part of your brain crying.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I heard MGS1 was released as well on the American store.
Guessing thats gonna make a couple of thousand sales for Konami and Sony.

Cant wait to get some money into my wallet though to relive those beautiful 90's RPG moments.
If they release 8 and 9 then Ill end up getting the whole collection, seeing as though I lost my PS1 in a GODDAMN FIRE.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Armored Prayer said:
Yeah, I've been playing it on my PSP. Just watch out for the file size, as it's a pretty big install - with the way the store works on the PSP, you might need around 3gb free on your memory card to download/install it without going through a PS3.

I've been enjoying it, it has held up well for its age. I also found that playing it on the smaller screen also counters the older graphics - they look just fine.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Virgil said:
Armored Prayer said:
Yeah, I've been playing it on my PSP. Just watch out for the file size, as it's a pretty big install - with the way the store works on the PSP, you might need around 3gb free on your memory card to download/install it without going through a PS3.

I've been enjoying it, it has held up well for its age. I also found that playing it on the smaller screen also counters the older graphics - they look just fine.
OK, so the only thing i need is a big memory stick and a PSN point card. (if I'm not mistaken)

Thanks for the tip Virgil.

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
Hopefully they finally fixed the gamestopper that happened if you saved under the feet of Diamond Weapon.. That thing ruined my perfect save ><

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Dele said:
Hopefully they finally fixed the gamestopper that happened if you saved under the feet of Diamond Weapon.. That thing ruined my perfect save ><
Wait, why would you save there? o_0

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Cloud isn't emo, but the rest of the game really gives you that feeling. He's actually quite laissez faire about everybody dying, etc.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Jman1236 said:
100,000? I was picturing alot more than that with a high profile game like FFVII.
In a week? That's still pretty impressive. Nearly ten downloads per minute. That's six thousand dollars earned per hour... not too shabby.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Cloud is actually more of a jackass than an emo during most of the game itself. It's the Compilation of FF7 that makes him into a the brooding emo we all know. I blame the fans. :D

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
The Emo Amnesiac Adventures of Cloud 'N Pals - better known in some circles by its unofficial title, Final Fantasy VII
I think I just heard something......yeah, it's Onmi screaming in rage....you'll see....

Anyway, I'm definately going to be downloading this as soon as I can, which won't be for another two weeks or so....d'oh?