Nathan Fillion Wants You to Stop Pestering the Uncharted Director

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Nathan Fillion Wants You to Stop Pestering the Uncharted Director

Nathan Fillion asks his fans to take a more subtle approach to getting him the role of Nathan Drake.

Ever since notoriously angry director, David O. Russel, left the Uncharted movie project, taking his imaginative vision of the game's fiction and his favored leading man, Mark Wahlberg, with him, the role of Nathan Drake has remained tantalizingly unfilled. Many fans still maintain that popular Firefly actor, Nathan Fillion, is the only rational choice for the role. In fact, the rising chorus of demands and the wailing and gnashing of teeth that accompanies even a mention of any actor but Fillion in connection with the role has grown quite annoying. Not least of all to Fillion himself.

"I am certainly still interested in playing Nathan Drake. I think every actor I know wants their action-adventure hero, their Indiana Jones. That would be a good one for me, I think." said the square-jawed, Fillion in a recent interview, but he did go on to add, "What I don't want is people pressuring that poor man [director Neil Burger] and souring him on the actual idea."

He makes a fair point. By now I imagine director Neil Burger is probably so sick of hearing Fillion's name he may refuse to cast the ruggedly handsome, Castle star, out of, quite understandable, spite.

Though Fillion has said that he supports Avatar leading man, Sam Worthington, for the role [http://twitter.com/#!/NathanFillion/status/95515893366403072], the glistening Adonis hasn't given up all hope of eventually playing Drake himself. He simply advocates a more subtle approach. "If we could somehow just... do you remember the movie Inception?" he said as he tossed his manly hair back and forth, " I think that's what we need to do. We need to let him land on the idea on his own."

Of course anyone who's seen Inception will tell you that no one in that movie "lands on an idea on their own." Instead, unscrupulous criminal types break into people's brains and plant ideas in their subconscious. So, just to be clear; shouting through Neil Burger's letter box is out. Breaking into his brain and violating his deepest, most precious memories with forbidden technology is in. Oh, Fillion, you beautiful scamp.

Source: Screenrant [http://screenrant.com/nathan-fillion-drake-uncharted-movie-benk-125277/] via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5824701/even-nathan-fillion-wants-you-to-chill-on-the-uncharted-movie-talk]

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Is no one else sick and tired of playing games where you're a white American gunning down people of opposite ethnicities?

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Not Sam Worthington! the man cannnot act, Why has he become the go to guy when you need bland and uninteresting.

Avatar? Nobody went to see it because Worthington was in it, Clash of the Titans? The bloody Kraken manages to emote more than that man

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Pipotchi said:
Not Sam Worthington! the man cannnot act, Why has he become the go to guy when you need bland and uninteresting.

Avatar? Nobody went to see it because Worthington was in it, Clash of the Titans? The bloody Kraken manages to emote more than that man
I went to see Avatar because I hadn't seen Pochontas in almost 10 years and I thought it would be improved if it took place in space on a neon colored planet of blue cat/human people. DUH!

Also this version had Sigourney Weaver in it.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Hungry Donner said:
Is Nathan Fillion petting a wooden fish?
Do not question the Fillion. The Fillion does what the Fillion wants.

I think he'd be pretty good in that role. I just don't think it should be a movie.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
No. What he's doing is so awesome your mind has failed to comprehend it, and has subsequently managed only to parse the image into that of Nathan Fillion petting a wooden fish.

-m

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Nathan Fillion is all kinds of awesome, but isn't he a bit old to be playing Nathan Drake?

Matt_LRR said:
Hungry Donner said:
No. What he's doing is so awesome your mind has failed to comprehend it, and has subsequently managed only to parse the image into that of Nathan Fillion petting a wooden fish.

-m
Mind=Blown

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
This is rather interesting since when was the last time if ever multiple well known actors were gunning for a role of a video game character?

sravankb said:
Nathan Fillion does whatever the fuck he wants, man.
King Toasty said:
Do not question the Fillion. The Fillion does what the Fillion wants.
Matt_LRR said:
I'd say that pretty much answers that question. To all future posters, you can now move along.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Cid SilverWing said:
Is no one else sick and tired of playing games where you're a white American gunning down people of opposite ethnicities?
Not really, but I am getting tired of people complaining about a problem that doesn't exist, and has largely been popularized by some jokes Yahtzee was making.

It's sort of like looking at Ninja games and going "doesn't anyone else get tired of playing games where your a Japanese person engaging in mass homicide?"

I mean the joke was funny when Yahtzee made it, but with Uncharted it's important to note that our hero is pretty much travelling to uncivilized portions of the world. If your in South/Central America, Africa, The Middle East, etc... what do you think the hired muscle is going to be like? It would be kind of ridiculous if you say hired a bunch of South American gueriellas who know the area to hunt down a treasure hunter, and every one of them was a pasty white guy. That kind of thing is political correctness and it ruins everything it touches.

Also your kind of missing the point of the original joke, and why it was classic. The main bad guy in Uncharted (the first one) was a white dude. The thing with Yahtzee's rant was he drug it out to the point where pretty much anyone playing the game was probably thinking "wait, isn't the bad guy a white european? with lots of money" and itching to respond, before making a crack about how the leader of the guy's thugs that he hires betrays him and becomes the actual final boss (which honestly was probably done because it would have been another "Fable 2" if you just walked up and shot some dude whose only real abillity was his deep pockets).

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
Hungry Donner said:

-m
Suddenly Bubba Ho-Tep makes sense.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Cid SilverWing said:
No, Never. The day I'm forced to be anything besides White is the day that I stop buying video games. *bad attempt at satire*

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Grey Carter said:
Though Fillion has said that he supports Avatar leading man, Sam Worthington, for the role... [http://twitter.com/#!/NathanFillion/status/95515893366403072]
Oh, God no. Worthington doesn't have the charisma to be Nathan Drake, his performances are too low-key.

I would still like Fillion to get the part, but if he doesn't, Bradley Cooper should be the one to get it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
I can't remember the last time I did anything like that. In fact the last few times I played a white anyone I was also gunning down white people.

OT: I have the feeling that after all the bullshit if he does get the part all of those people will download it illegally and it will be a bomb.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I like Nathan Fillion as an actor (like most nerds) but I would point out that there might be more to this than we're considering.

Looking at Nathan in Castle recently, the dude is developing some MAJOR bags under his eyes, you can even see it in the above picture though it conceals it a lot better. While that in of itself doesn't prove anything, it definatly seems like the guy might be showing the effects of some heavy drug use. It might be that he has lame makeup people, but I think it's more of a sign that the problem is pronounced enough where they can't cover it up any more than they are.

What does this have to do with doing voice work for video games?

Well, not every celebrity problem winds up getting out in the tabloids, or causes enough tension to be shouted from the rooftops. If the guy is a mess though, it might influance people not wanting to work with him.

After years of hearing why various actors/actresses/etc.. I thought were decent didn't go anywhere, the whole "I didn't know he/she was in Rehab all those times" thing I've started looking at the signs... and it does influance directors.

That said I don't think he's a Jonathan Frid (played Barnabas in the old "Dark Shadows" TV show, big time alcoholic, acted on the show drunk, with bloodshot eyes, and/or the shakes with some frequency) by any means, but there might be something there. Those bags do give him the look.

LackingSanity

Apr 15, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
In Uncharted 2, most of the people who you shoot are white. Well, white or blue, but that's beside the point.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
No, because there aren't that many games like that. And the ones that are like that, have an excuse (original Uncharted is set in Tropics, RE5 is in Africa, etc).

I am sick of people looking for racism where it isn't, instead of dealing with it where it is.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Pfshhh in Inception they kill a load of people, spout some exposition, talk about a crazy lady's death and when they finally stop mucking around the wake up and the guy has "come to the idea on his own" :D