Artist Harvests Flesh-Eating Power Of Fungus In A Corpse Suit

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Artist Harvests Flesh-Eating Power Of Fungus In A Corpse Suit

No, no, stop. You had us at "Mushroom Death Suit."

Most people don't realize that when they die, there aren't too many socially acceptable methods for disposing of a corpse (feeding a body into a wood chipper apparently doesn't go over too well). When a body isn't cremated, it's commonly injected with a lot of formaldehyde, a dangerous chemical that eventually leaches out into the ground after a burial. However, an artist has come up with a much more environmentally-friendly way of disposing bodies via The Infinity Burial Suit (though it also goes by the much sexier name, the "Mushroom Death Suit").

Artist Jae Rhim Lee has apparently been working on this suit since 2009. The suit uses ordinary shitake and oyster mushrooms to consume a body and break it down. Lee has been training the mushrooms to eat people by having them consume her skin, hair, and nails. After a while, she'll "pick the best mushrooms to become 'Infinity Mushrooms.' These Infinity Mushrooms will recognize and eat her body when she dies."

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I've seen a few movies that start this way and end with the fungus wiping out humanity.

At the moment, Lee's prototype of the suit has been embroidered with "mushroom-spore-infused thread." Additionally, the embroidery pattern is designed to resemble the way thtat mushroom mycelium grows.

Lee hasn't been able to test out her flesh-eating suit, "but she did say she has some expired meat in her fridge with which she may test the Infinity Mushrooms."

Source: Geek

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Pah!
This guy stole the name off me!
Although, my 'mushroom death suit' did a little bit more death...

But i am defiently sure my realtives would want to be buried in tha- of course they wouldn't.
But it's pretty clever.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
SHE STOLE MY IDEA!

Granted, I wrote that idea in a highschool notebook while extremely stoned myself, but still! I DEMAND PAYMENT FOR MY MUSHROOM DEATH SUIT!!!

... seriously. I wasn't aware this was even an issue. It seems like much more of a waste than anything else - why not look for a safer enbaulming fluid? Doesn't diet soda contain chemicals that, if heated up, resemble fermaldahyde? Im not a scientist, but I'm certain they could work from there. That suit just sounds expensive. Disgusting. Awesome. Etc.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
"Lee has been training the mushrooms to eat people by having them consume her skin, hair, and nails."

Because there is no way THAT could go wrong. It has never happened it any movie. Ever.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
I really don't know what to say about this. This is borderline Lovecraftian, and yet still an environmentally sound way. Still, you'd think they could come up with some more earth-friendly way of temporarily preserving a corpse, but I guess there wasn't much research into it. You know, because carcinogens are perfectly fine. Anyways, JUST IN CASE I'm in need of my body after death, I'm leaving my body intact (or as much as I can). Don't ask why, I'm not even totally sure myself.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
i think i can hear the geneva convention coming down on this as a form of torture...

better hope china and north korea don't get wind of this

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Heh, it really does sound like the first step of fungi ruling the Earth and killing all humans.
We're doomed, and it's because of this fungus deathsuit.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Lee has been training the mushrooms to eat people by having them consume her skin, hair, and nails.
Either she fails at biology forever, or someone is misinterpreting what she's doing.

Uber Waddles said:
... seriously. I wasn't aware this was even an issue. It seems like much more of a waste than anything else - why not look for a safer enbaulming fluid? Doesn't diet soda contain chemicals that, if heated up, resemble fermaldahyde? Im not a scientist, but I'm certain they could work from there. That suit just sounds expensive. Disgusting. Awesome. Etc.
Every embalming fluid has the same issue: they fucking kill every life form which comes near it; that's how it protects a body from degradation. I don't understand why we embalm people in the first place, since they're going to be put underground anyhow, but yeah...

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
When someone screams only to have mushrooms blossom and bud, forcing their way upward into the air as they open their mouth you know we're fucked. Also get real used to this sound:

"SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORES!!!!!!!"

Edit: I have mspainted up an artist's conception of this. forgive me, my art isn't great and I did it fast but here.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Warning Signs:

1. They're called Infinity mushrooms. Whenever somebody names something with a word like "Infinity" or some other kind of neat sounding word which may have figurative and/or ironic meaning to the project, there's a good 30% or so increased chance that it's going to go horribly wrong.

2. It's a human shaped suit designed to graft to human tissue and absorb it using mushrooms selectively bred for that specific purpose by constantly feeding them human remains. If that wasn't bad enough, there's also the chance that it may latch onto the subject's nervous system and integrate with it. You can probably see where I'm going with this line of thought.

3. Spores are pretty much impossible to eradicate. They are also airborne, can enter your lungs, and really like moist places to grow in. In fact, you probably have some spores in your lungs right now.

4. Presenting the image of this diagram in a dark room is enough to make anybody shit their pants.

5. It would be extremely funny for somebody to be eaten alive by the two of the most delicious mushrooms in existence.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Well, this may be the end of humanity and I won't even have to lift a finger...
Wait, did I just type that out loud?