Modern Warfare 3 Dev Welcomes Negative Feedback

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Modern Warfare 3 Dev Welcomes Negative Feedback

Being told where you're going wrong isn't a bad thing, says Infinity Ward's creative strategist; it's vital to helping you improve.

Infinity Ward, the studio behind the Modern Warfare games, isn't worried about getting negative feedback; if anything, the reverse is true, with the studio actually embracing it. Robert Bowling says that listening to criticism helps give Infinity Ward a more grounded perspective, and makes it easier to identify where it could be doing better.

Bowling said that it would be very easy for Infinity Ward to look at the massive sales figures for Call of Duty and the number of people playing the Modern Warfare games on services like PSN and Xbox Live, and think that its work was done. But going online, where people weren't afraid to speak their minds about something they didn't like, showed the studio that there was always room for improvement. "It allows you to have a gut check and a perspective that 'this is where we still need to go,'" Bowling said. "'This is work that we still need to do.'"

According to Bowling, the best decision he had ever made - at least from a developmental point of view - was joining Twitter. "It allows you to not rest on acclaim alone, whether critical or commercial," he explained. "And makes you realize that there are still audiences out there that want to enjoy your games that may not even play shooters." He said that the survival mode in Modern Warfare 3 - which is designed to give a multiplayer-style experience to single player fans - was a result of feedback from Twitter.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5825298/the-new-york-yankees-of-first+person-shooters-welcomes-the-negative-feedback]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
...thus seperating IW from developers who insist that if you don't enjoy the game, you aren't playing it right.

On the other hand, I've seen developers invite critism before, but mostly just for show. If they actually act on this, I will be very impressed.

EDIT: I should probably state that I thought a major problem of MW2 was that they included basically everything that was asked for, making it a bit too overpowered, if you understand what I mean.
Also, I am a fan of both MW1 and 2. Yeah, MewTwo may have lacked imagination and innovation compared to Mew, but it was still very well made.

[Pokemon refences FTW]

Dec 27, 2010
Oh okay then IW, if you can criticism, why don't you listen to half your former fans and stop making games in this f*cking franchise! Seriously, just make something new, or at least a little grounded in reality.

Captcha: oh, wait

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
If they actually act on this, I will be very impressed.
Literally EVERYTHING In Modern Warfare 2 was asked for on IW's twitter page when they asked "What do you want to see in Modern Warfare 2?"

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
Literally EVERYTHING In Modern Warfare 2 was asked for on IW's twitter page when they asked "What do you want to see in Modern Warfare 2?"
Ye, and look how that turned out..

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
I'm not positive what this will accomplish. The big FPS franchises all have their fans now and they are pretty much what they are. At this point, because of the way and people these products are marketed to, the brand is just as important (if not more so) than the gameplay mechanics, which by the way, haven't really changed all that much since FPS's first came out.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
L3m0n_L1m3 said:
The Cheezy One said:
If they actually act on this, I will be very impressed.
That's why it sucked. Most people who post those wishes were 13 year old kids. And IW were stupid enough to just throw everything in the game without any regard to balance in the gameplay. Taking fan feedback into consideration is a good thing, but developers should just use that feedback as guidelines, not literally. If people want more weapons and perks, by all means add more weapons and perks. But don't add what fans want, add what seems logical and what doesn't break the balance of the game.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Hopefully they listen to a lot of people and try to calm themselves the fuck down with this series. It won't bore us to death if we go a minute or two without something exploding.

captcha: your erection. what the... *runs*

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I wonder if they'll accept any criticisms...

"Dear I.W, I will not buy Modern Warfare 3 unless there's a mode that requires every player to wear a tutu".

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Phoenixlight said:
People just like hating the Modern Warfare games regardless of how good they are.
Please explain my love of CoD, CoD2, The Big Red One and CoD4:MW, but then my hate of WaW, MW2, BlOps and refusal to play MW3.

Is it because I hate CoD games no matter what or because I dislike the direction the series took? IE: One of stagnation and lazy development cycles.

OT: I just read that as, "Husk of IW welcomes criticism, then promptly ignores it, because they know game will still make more money than god."

kurokenshi

Sep 2, 2009
Hey IW(Treyarch)! I'd like Leaning & Proning for single & Multiplayer back? Also dedicated servers would be nice! If you do that maybe I'll buy it.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Robert Bowling in a article about listening ?

He didnt listen to the complaints about the lack of dedi servers for the PC ver. amongst various valid and reasonable complaints.

I didnt sign that boycott, but unlike the majority that did sign... I havent bought a CoD title since MW1 (CoD4), only tried that CoD:BO during that free MP weekend.
Damn weak losers that did sign then still bought the bloody game, completely negated the impact of the consumer voice... yeah yeah whine all you like, we all know you will still beg us for the privilage of handing over your cash to us.

... I also havent bought L4D2, unlike the other losers that signed the boycott and was first inline to buy the damn game.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
GET. RID. OF. IWNET.

Seriously, I never wanted to get MW2, but my little brother wanted it for his birthday, and I'm a nice guy. So now I have both Bad Company 2 and MW2, and good lord, is IWnet screwy.

Incidentally, if I did a thorough video review/comparison of MW2 and BC2, how many of you would be interested in viewing it?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Dedicated Servers. Dedicated Servers!

[HEADING=2]DEDICATED SERVERS![/HEADING]

Seriously Bowling, even gears of war is embracing dedicated servers, 90% of the complaints with COD series of late has been lag induced. The series NEEDS dedicated servers in SOME capacity.

Even if the user has to pay a subscription fee (if moderate like $2 a month) then it is the best way to go.

Also don't expect the PC version to be at all well received without dedicated servers.