Serious Sam Studio Zings EA's Origin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Serious Sam Studio Zings EA's Origin

Devolver Digital has given up on plans to launch its own digital distribution service and will instead just release Serious Sam 3: BFE on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/41070/], where people might actually want to buy it.

The upcoming shooter Serious Sam 3: BFE was originally intended to debut on Devolver Digital's new, proprietary distribution platform, codenamed "Krundle." Following further study, however, Devolver CFO and massage parlor enthusiast Fork Parker decided to pull the plug on the whole thing.

"I think we could have revolutionized how I make a shitload of money," Parker said in a statement. "But the reality is, Steam is an amazing digital platform. That's where we want to distribute our top-tier titles like Serious Sam 3: BFE to generate the kind of revenue it takes to buy things like velvet-covered jet skis. Holy crap, did I just invent those?"

Krundle was intended to bring an entirely new level of customer service to gamers, with preorder incentives like in-game nachos and unexploded Cold War munitions, $50 free-to-play releases that people are free to play as much as they want after they pay 50 bucks and complimentary Portuguese adult films with every purchase over $200. And while Devolver has been forced to step back from the project, Parker said it would continue to do its best to make good games and also reminded consumers that other distribution platforms remain available.

"I guess consumers could also sign up for EA's Origin service if they're into ten-year-old train simulators," he said. "But you can be sure those sons of bitches will never deliver in-game nachos."

Serious Sam 3: BFE comes out later this year on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. And no, we still don't know what BFE means.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
C'mon. That's funny.

You can bet these guys are all talking to each other, so this kind of satire is probably pointing us in the right direction.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Railroad tycoon? I don't get it.

I looked at EAs wikipedia page and they had some published some awesome games in the 80s. Archon, Starflight, M.U.L.E., and the mighty yet-to-be remade Mail Order Monsters.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I thought people weren't buying the new Serious Sam because it was shit.

OT: That's not really that clever. It was about a "Family Guy" on the topical humour scale and that's not a compliment.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
didn't BFE meant "Battle for Earth"?

or was it "Before First Encounter"... huh considering who Devolver Digital are and what kind of game Serious Sam is, it might as well mean the latter

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
manythings said:
I thought peope weren't buying the new Serious Sam because it was shit.
We know hardly anything about it except for a level in Egypt and Serious Sam's trademark balls-to-the-wall action.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
teh_Canape said:

or was it "Before First Encounter"... huh considering who Devolver Digital are and what kind of game Serious Sam is, it might as well mean the latter
I'd expect some more like "Big Fucking E_______".

OT: I love these people. I haven't really been paying attention to the game, but I might get it for the lulz it'll contain.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Phlakes said:
teh_Canape said:

I'd expect some more like "Big Fucking E_______".
not sure, Serious Sam hasn't actually had swear words, so far only in Second Encounter, in which he confesses "I may have dropped a few F-bombs here and there, but my assistants picked them all up, also, I may have said a little curse here and there, but who gives a shit?"

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:
We know hardly anything about it except for a level in Egypt and Serious Sam's trademark balls-to-the-wall action.
It was more of lazy zing to go with theirs.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
Traditionally BFE means Bum F*** Egypt, meaning out in the middle of nowhere. Like out in BFE.

Skaraa

Dec 13, 2007
Seeing that the first Serious Sam was called The First Encounter and SS3 will be a prequel this leads me to deduce that BFE stands for Before First Encounter.

Or I could be a dirty-mouthed asshole and say it stands for Butt Fuck Egypt.

The choice is yours.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I love this guys press releases. He always makes me laugh. So disappointed they canned Krundle though, that sounded almost as awesome as velvet covered jet skis...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
manythings said:
JeanLuc761 said:
manythings said:
It was more of lazy zing to go with theirs.
it went beyond lazy and became stupid

my biggest gripe about the new serious sam is that it doesnt have a effin release date yet

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
Great news. I'm not sure if I could deal with another digital distribution platform no matter what awesome incentives, Steam and GoG are kind of attached to me now and they are mild sauce compared to what Krundle would have done.

Maybe Sam can deliver unto us what the almighty Duke fell absolutely short on. Also, keep up the great press releases, love the humor.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Odd sort of press release, isn't it?

I don't mind Origin in principle. I guess I'll form an opinion once I try downloading something from it. Assuming it goes reasonably smooth, I'm good. Some people seem to go into shock at the thought of another program on their computers, but I think they're exaggerating, where they could just say "I dislike EA" and get it off their chests.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
Well thats good i guess but i would rather use these guys Digital Distribution-platform than Origin.

Andy Chalk said:
Serious Sam 3: BFE comes out later this year on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. And no, we still don't know what BFE means.
Before First Encounter.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Man, you just gotta love that Parker! He's insane in so many ways, but so are his games, and you gotta love insane games!
I think they could have made Krundle work, but this will probably benefit them in the end, and that poor guy deserves his velvet jet ski!