Gears Of War Goes From TV Screens To Tabletops

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Gears Of War Goes From TV Screens To Tabletops

Not only is Gears of War getting the board game treatment, but it's even coming with a single-player mode.

There hasn't been any update on the Gears of War film for a while (IMDB still lists it as being "in development", but there hasn't been any news since <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102395-Gears-of-War-Movie-Goes-Back-to-the-Drawing-Board>it was reported last year that the film was getting drastically scaled back), though the franchise is still being brought over to other forms of media. The series has been adapted into comic books, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Gears-Aspho-Fields-Karen-Traviss/dp/0345499433/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312007402&sr=8-1>novels, and -now- it turns out the games are being brought into the world of board games.

Fantasy Flight Games has revealed that it's about to release <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-GE01-Gears/dp/1616611693/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312007871&sr=8-1>Gears of War: The Board Game. While a board game based on Epic Games' hit action series may seem like a strange idea, the details certainly sound interesting. The game is playable for 1-4 players and Fantasy Flight has revealed that it will include the following items:

? Over 30 plastic figures
? Over 200 cards
? 35 Locust AI Cards
? 17 Double-sided Map Tiles
? Nearly 75 tokens and markers
? 1 Mission Reference Sheet
? 5 Attack Dice and 4 Defense Dice
? 1 Line-of-Sight Ruler

The official description from Fantasy Flight includes one other interesting tidbit: The game will come with a set of "optional solo rules" meaning that this board game will have the equivalent of a single-player campaign. The game is set to come out "soon" and carries an MSRP of $69.99.

If you simply can't wait to play as a tabletop COG soldier (or don't want to spend $69.99 on a board game), then you should also be aware that the <a href=http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315174>characters are coming to the HeroClix universe on August 17th.

Source: <a href=http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=167&esem=2>Fantasy Flight Games via <a href=http://gamepolitics.com/2011/07/29/gears-war-becomes-board-game>GamePolitics

Xealeon

Feb 9, 2009
So then the plot of GoW 1 was actually taking place in a monopoly game...

Marcus got sent to jail and Dom showed up with a Get out of Jail Free card and then the rest of it was them trying to pass go and collect their Lightmass bomb.

Anyayws, sounds interesting. There's a board game of Doom 3 which is apparently pretty good so it's possible to make a working board game out of a video game.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I have to admit, I'd dig a Gears table-top game made by Gamesworkshop.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Nouw said:
Well, since fantasy flight makes all the GW boardgames now, this is the next best thing, right?

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Salad Is Murder said:
Nouw said:
Well, since fantasy flight makes all the GW boardgames now, this is the next best thing, right?
Well to be honest, just reading the description got me interested. I never knew that but since I know now, yes it is the next best thing!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Ah, Fantasy Flight Games, amazing as ever.

That reminds me - is it August yet? I want my Black Crusade rulebook!!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Dang, if this comes out by 5th of septermber my best friend is getting it for his birthday.

albear

May 18, 2009
Xealeon said:
So then the plot of GoW 1 was actually taking place in a monopoly game...

Marcus got sent to jail and Dom showed up with a Get out of Jail Free card and then the rest of it was them trying to pass go and collect their Lightmass bomb.

Anyayws, sounds interesting. There's a board game of Doom 3 which is apparently pretty good so it's possible to make a working board game out of a video game.
Lmao when i read this, i might have to reuse this when describing the board game to friends, hope you dont mind, Cheers :D

OP: yeah deffinetly be getting this, hoping for Carmine, A, B and C figures aswell as the COG soldier :D

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
$70 is a bit steep, but I wouldn't mind at least giving it a shot. I also might start playing HeroClix...

Still, I'm glad Gears of War is spreading into deeper territory. It really makes it feel more like a universe than just a video game.

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
ProfessorLayton said:
$70 is a bit steep, but I wouldn't mind at least giving it a shot. I also might start playing HeroClix...

Still, I'm glad Gears of War is spreading into deeper territory. It really makes it feel more like a universe than just a video game.
It cannot be overstated that FFG does not fuck around when they make a game. They have excellent sculpting for the minis, heavy card stock and this awesome thick, layered paper stock that makes up the board/tiles. My husband used to own a game store and I've seen a lot of FFG product, they are the Bioware of board games.

Serving UpSmiles

Aug 4, 2010
TheEndlessSleep said:
Lol 'Solo campaign?'

There's something weirdly depressing about the idea of playing a board game alone...
lol Welcome to the internet.

I will be paying attention to this in the future, hell might even pick it up after playing Gears 3.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Based on the quality of other Fantasy Flight board games I've played (primarily the Arkham Horror series) this should look great and certainly be worth the $70. And with the option to play solo I wouldn't lament my lack of friends nearly as much as when wanting to play other board games.