Legal Disputes Delay The Witcher 2's Xbox 360 Debut

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Legal Disputes Delay The Witcher 2's Xbox 360 Debut

CD Projekt says that gamers will be happy with the Xbox 360 version of The Witcher 2, even if they have to wait a little longer than expected.

The release for the Xbox 360 version of CD Projekt's dark and gritty RPG The Witcher 2 has been pushed back from late 2011 to the first quarter of 2012. CD Projekt attributes the delay in part to the legal dispute between CD Projekt and Namco Bandai over who has the rights to publish the console version in Europe, as well as the former's decision to remove the game's DRM on the PC.

While the whole story is undoubtedly much more complicated, the short version of the dispute seems to be that because Namco Bandai published the PC version of the game in the PAL territories, it believes that it should have received first refusal to publish the Xbox 360 version. But unfortunately - for Namco Bandai anyway - CD Projekt brokered a deal with THQ instead. Namco Bandai also claims that CD Projekt's removal of the game's DRM on the PC in a recent patch was a breach of contract.

CD Projekt's Adam Kicinski tried to put a positive spin on the delay, and said that it would give the studio extra time to polish the game. He said that CD Projekt would have more information on how the game would be released on the Xbox 360 closer to release, and added that he was confident that gamers would be very happy with what the studio had in store for them, even in spite of the delay.

Source: Gamepur [http://www.gamepur.com/news/4794-witcher-2-xbox-360-delayed.html] via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/313752/the-witcher-2-xbox-360-delayed/?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Dec 16, 2009
I've only just got onboard the watcher train, on my first play of Witcher 1
I will be buying number 2, the only question is which format. i might try to show my support for PC gaming if i buy a new CPU anytime soon

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Loved the look of this game, then realised my PC would never run it, then realised its going to be a LONG time for it to be on the PS3, If ever.

Sep 8, 2010
Ah, Japanese corporations. I have a feeling the "breach of contract" issue is mostly spite over not being given a chance to refuse to publish the game (what?). How dare CD Projekt dishonor them like that.

For the record, I've never played any of CD Projekt's games, but I'm a HUGE fan of them because of GOG.com and their general stance on DRM. Not to mention that middle finger they threw up to Autralia's government when it tried to censor them, and the fact that when they were forced to charge Aussies more after letting them pre-order The Witcher 2 at the more reasonable US price, they gave them a shitload of free stuff to make up the price difference.

Good company and good people. So Namco-Bandai can go screw.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Wow wow, CD Projeckt removed DRM that does jack all in stopping piracy and only inconveniences legit owners of the game and Namco is unhappy? WHAT NERVE!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, that's a shame for the console players. Stupid Namco Bandai.

Also, Loredo's the bigger prick in that picture.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
The extra time might give them enough time to make the UI any good.

Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, god forbid CD Projekt Red thinks about the well-being of their customers by removing the game's DRM after it was found that the DRM negatively affected the performance of the game.

And wait, were they saying that they should have been contacted about the publishing deal first so they can refuse it first? What? I'm betting they just wanted to sue for the DRM thing, but realized that it would look stupid if they just sued for that.

Sep 8, 2010
vrbtny said:
I have to admit, games that have already-complex (and from the sounds of it, unintuitive) UIs on the PC are rarely better for having all that crammed onto a controller. (See also Two Worlds II, which sucked for many reasons, but a bad UI was up there). That said, I'm still gonna give this game a rental when it comes out, because my computer has the processing power of a TI-82. So I'm exiled to the Console Ghetto for now.

Sep 8, 2010
Irridium said:
Yeah, god forbid CD Projekt Red thinks about the well-being of their customers by removing the game's DRM after it was found that the DRM negatively affected the performance of the game.

And wait, were they saying that they should have been contacted about the publishing deal first so they can refuse it first? What? I'm betting they just wanted to sue for the DRM thing, but realized that it would look stupid if they just sued for that.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese corporate "injured pride" thing. You know how those guys are.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
it's probably good for the game not be released this year, the release schedule is full enough with good looking games as it is.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
After I heard about the Namco thing I knew it was probably going to be delayed, doesn't make it any less annoying though. I wish I had the PC to run The Witcher 2, but I don't, so now it's the waiting game (I have a thing for Eastern European games designed primarily for the PC that are insanely difficult).

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
I'm pretty excited for this game because I know my PC will never run this beast so yeah, fuck off Namco. On a much more positive note, this delay will give CD projekt more time for polish.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
hooray for CD Projekt! boo for namco.
honestly, it looks like a great game and i would get it on PC if i could run it/it werent apparently so confusing.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
TheMagicLemur said:
vrbtny said:
I have to admit, games that have already-complex (and from the sounds of it, unintuitive) UIs on the PC are rarely better for having all that crammed onto a controller. (See also Two Worlds II, which sucked for many reasons, but a bad UI was up there). That said, I'm still gonna give this game a rental when it comes out, because my computer has the processing power of a TI-82. So I'm exiled to the Console Ghetto for now.
The problem with the UI for pc is that it is as though it was designed for consoles.

I'm sure it will be intuitive and easy to navigate for you guys.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
Mr Ink 5000 said:
I've only just got onboard the watcher train, on my first play of Witcher 1
I will be buying number 2, the only question is which format. i might try to show my support for PC gaming if i buy a new CPU anytime soon
I'd normally say buy it for PC because it's a port. However, from what I've heard, it's more of a port to the PC. People who had trouble with the game's difficulty/controls/interface seem to lose all trouble when plugging in a gamepad. This shows that the game was meant for controllers (even the developers used a controller when showing off the then upcoming game). So either use a controller or get it for the console.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Awwww, I really wanted to play this game but I don't own a 360 or have a good PC.

Any particular reason it isn't being released on PS3?

Sep 8, 2010
Bobzer77 said:
The problem with the UI for pc is that it is as though it was designed for consoles.

I'm sure it will be intuitive and easy to navigate for you guys.
Well good then. It's about time you PC people with your bitchin' processors had to feel the pain and misery of a wierd, clunky UI that doesn't feel right :D

Sep 8, 2010
ChupathingyX said:
Awwww, I really wanted to play this game but I don't own a 360 or have a good PC.

Any particular reason it isn't being released on PS3?
If I had to guess, it's easier to develop between PC and 360 than PC and PS3 is all. Who knows, you may get a PS3 release if the 360 port sells decently.