DVT Death Blamed on Excessive Gaming

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DVT Death Blamed on Excessive Gaming

The father of a gamer who died of deep vein thrombosis warns that excessive gaming may cause blood clots that can travel to your lungs and kill you.

20-year-old Chris Staniforth died in May from deep vein thrombosis, a condition in which a blood clot forms in a deep vein, most commonly in a leg. Some DVTs are asymptomatic while others can cause redness, swelling and pain, and in rare cases the clot can break free and travel to the lungs, causing a fatal pulmonary embolism. Age, obesity and immobilization can all contribute to the occurrence of DVTs; long-distance air travel in cramped quarters is well-known as a factor in their development, leading to the rise of the term "Economy Class Syndrome."

But in the eyes of David Staniforth, Chris' father, there's another risk that might be even more dangerous: heavy gaming. Chris was known to spend up to 12 hours at a time on his Xbox and his father believes that those long stretches on the couch created the clot that ultimately killed his son.

"After my research I saw there was no difference to Chris sitting at a desk on his Xbox and someone on a long-haul flight," Staniforth told the BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-14350216]. "Sitting still is literally the danger zone. Chris loved to play and would stay up all night. Millions of people worldwide are playing these games for hours, and there is a risk."

Staniforth said he doesn't blame console manufacturers for his son's death, telling The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3723107/Lad-of-20-is-killed-by-blood-clot-caused-by-playing-his-Xbox-for-up-to-12-hours-at-a-time.html], "It isn't their fault that people use them for so long. But I want to highlight the dangers that can arise. Playing on it for so long is what killed him - and I don't want another child to die."

It's a relatively level-headed attitude, particularly when compared to blaring headlines like The Sun's "Death By Xbox" [which has since been toned down to "Xbox Tragedy"] but it's still a grasp for a simple answer to a very complex problem that overlooks the reality of the modern era: that countless millions of people around the world spend an unhealthy amount of hours in the seated position. The villain here, if there is one, is not videogames. It's the world in which we live.

Which isn't to say that it's not a good idea to get up off the couch once in awhile and do something else. "We have always encouraged responsible game play through our education campaigns such as Play Smart, Play Safe," Microsoft said in a statement. "We recommend that gamers take periodic breaks to exercise as well as make time for other pursuits."

Thanks to Jaredin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Jaredin] for the tip.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I don't see how gaming itself here is to blame.

He could have staid sat still for 12 hours watching TV, reading a book, knitting, web-surfing, working, ANYTHING.

The problem here is clear: sitting down for too long

How many people got DVT after sitting watching trash TV all day? Is that not in the news because it doesn't happen, or is it simply not reported. Is it just too damn juicy to say "games killed my boy!"

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Plenty of games warn you to take a break, or take it in moderation. Common sense should dictate that as well.

But I have a different problem here. As much as its nice to stay informed, its getting tiring even having all these bullshit news stories posted. We all know its garbage, its just designed to get our goats. (I suppose, in that regard, its working)

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Excessive gaming?

Maybe it has to do with the gross amount of inactivity. Just an idea.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Nothing to get worked up about here, people - the man has a perfectly reasonable attitude even after a tragedy like this.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
It's a pretty nasty way to go, there's been mainly cases of DVT and gaming over the years, a startling amount connected to Korean gaming cafe culture where you can spend days on games like Mu Online and Starcraft.

Whereas gaming doesn't cause DVT, it's a lot more common for gamers, PC gamers especially, because we actually enjoy sitting at a desk for hours on end. I reinstalled Medieval 2: Total War last night and played till 7 am. I only took a break because my legs started hurting. I doubt it was anything DVT-related but ever since reading a PC Gamer article on it years back I've always stayed vigilant, though my years of 16-hour Guild Wars sessions are behind me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Treblaine said:
And one of the risk factors there, which is what the article is saying, is "gaming for long periods."

I don't get what's so horrible here.
\
Both the article and the boy's father take pretty reasonable approaches. The headline is crap, but I've come to expect that from the Escapist. Headline: SOMETHING SHOCKING!

Text of article: Something far removed.

Besides, if I were to guess, I'd guess gaming marathons are more dangerous than TV marathons. People have a tenden cy to be more anchored to their TV when playing a video game because of the direct link. You need sensory input from the TV to actively participate.

However, the main thrust here is that he did not say...Umm, how did you put it?

"games killed my boy!"
He said a rather more reasonable thing:

"Sitting still is literally the danger zone. Chris loved to play and would stay up all night. Millions of people worldwide are playing these games for hours, and there is a risk."
So I don't know what has you so upset.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
How did he sit for 12 hours without getting up to eat or piss? He's a Halo player, that should warrent a Mountain Dew stroll to the kitchen at least once an hour.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
First, I love how, if Fox News put this to press, everybody would argue bias, but we will all soon forget that the Sun and BBC broke this story.

Second, let us take the father at his word, out of the "millions of of people worldwide (who) are playing these games for hours," how many died in such a way? Keep in mind, gaming is only being argued as a proximate (not ultimate) cause.

Third, the father "does not want another child to die" like "20-year-old Chris." If he believes his child to be a child, he was no great father to the man-boy and warrants more blame than the XBox dealer who lured Chris (having been raised spineless and without will) into the dangers of sitting.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
There's also a risk in not teaching your kids healthy habits. (Still, sorry that he died)

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
Still quite odd, even assuming he was sedentary for long (really long) periods of time. Was he over-weight? How was his diet? Did he have any pre-existing medical conditions, such as anaemia or diabetes? Important questions when uncovering the events that lead up to the development of DVT. In this case, gaming is apparently what fueled a sedentary lifestyle (for lack of disability), however other significant factors must have contributed to why he gamed for so long so often. Was he unemployed? Was he unhappy? Did he suffer from any other psychological illness, such as social anxiety? If so, these should be more directly attributed to the chronic-uninterrupted gaming sessions.

The actual cause of DVT was, therefore, a sedentary lifestyle mitigated by environmental pressures, including unhealthy sociological, psychological and dietary factors (or so I'd suspect).

If it turns out he was healthy, physiologically and psychologically, then I admit this is one of those times DVT struck outside the bell curve, and there was nothing anyone could have done.

Regardless of all of the above; I am sorry for their loss, and wish them strength and comfort in this unimaginably difficult time. They have my sympathies and condolences.

Off Topic. Does anyone else have issues with the captcha failing first time?

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
"Xboxs don't kill people, people kill people."

I love games as much as anyone else on these forums, but the fact of the matter is that Xboxs certainly help in some cases.

I've been waiting to see the backlash against this story here. The issue is relatively simple: video games killed him. Regularly sitting around playing video games for extremely long hours with virtually no physical activity is really bad for you. Really bad for you. In all sorts of ways.

When you try to suggest that this isn't a problem, you just give credence to the notion that gamers are childish and irresponsible with very little regard for the implications of their behavior. This is not the time to rally to the defence of video games. This is not the time to try to misdirect blame by pointing out that a lot of other activities also involve sitting still for long periods of time - the fact that other activities are just as bad doesn't make video games any better.

The father has exactly the right idea about this: video games are not some evil murder weapon that must be eliminated, but there's still a lesson to be taken from this. Jumping to the defence of video games just because you're so used to them being attack for bad reasons just proves how right the media caricatures of gamers really are.

TL;DR: Stop acting like dicks and proving the media right about everything they say about gamers.

Oct 30, 2010
Anacortian said:
First, I love how, if Fox News put this to press, everybody would argue bias, but we will all soon forget that the Sun and BBC broke this story.

Second, let us take the father at his word, out of the "millions of of people worldwide (who) are playing these games for hours," how many died in such a way? Keep in mind, gaming is only being argued as a proximate (not ultimate) cause.

Third, the father "does not want another child to die" like "20-year-old Chris." If he believes his child to be a child, he was no great father to the man-boy and warrants more blame than the XBox dealer who lured Chris (having been raised spineless and without will) into the dangers of sitting.
If your parents are still alive, you are still their child. (Technically, you are still their child when they are dead too, but they won't care). Or are people supposed to stop caring about their spawn once they reach the age of majority?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Treblaine said:
And one of the risk factors there, which is what the article is saying, is "gaming for long periods."

I don't get what's so horrible here.
\
Both the article and the boy's father take pretty reasonable approaches. The headline is crap, but I've come to expect that from the Escapist. Headline: SOMETHING SHOCKING!

Text of article: Something far removed.

Besides, if I were to guess, I'd guess gaming marathons are more dangerous than TV marathons. People have a tenden cy to be more anchored to their TV when playing a video game because of the direct link. You need sensory input from the TV to actively participate.

However, the main thrust here is that he did not say...Umm, how did you put it?

"games killed my boy!"
He said a rather more reasonable thing:

"Sitting still is literally the danger zone. Chris loved to play and would stay up all night. Millions of people worldwide are playing these games for hours, and there is a risk."
So I don't know what has you so upset.
I know that The Sun is doing here.

The headline in block capitals is all that people are going to take away from this, they may legally excuse themselves with clarification but they know full well the impression that their readers will take away with them. Sensationalist headline is MORE than just attention attracting, it completely sets the presentation of the events.

Remember, this is the sister paper to The News Of The World, the infamously immorally and criminally culpable newspaper that ran a massive hacking ring.

My problem is not with the parent, it is how this rag misrepresents the parent's loss.

They decided to spin this with innuendo that singles out video games as the cause. It DOES NOT MATTER what they "actually" said, these are legal experts in literally saying one thing but leaving the other impression. British courts are notoriously strict on defamation but The Sun always finds a way to dig the knife in.

Anyone who is not familiar with video games who reads that article will take away the impression:

"Video games killed my boy!"

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, a bit sensationalist. But, as one poster already pointed out, this is what draws them to the article.

There is a danger in living a sedentary lifestyle. That is the truth. Such a lifestyle is not fixed by going to the gym for an hour a day either, anybody who has a job that involves them sitting for long periods of time and then goes home and plays video games, even with an hour at the gym, is still living a sedentary lifestyle. Anything that has you sitting for long periods of time is a danger. But, if you get the proper chair and sit appropriately, a lot of related health problems can be negated, as well as taking regular breaks.

This article was actually very concise, now if we could only get the people to read the articles instead of commenting on the headline.

James Gordon

Jul 1, 2011
Even the system manufacturers say to take a 15-30 min break every few hours........thus giving them a notice of a health disclaimer to prevent lawsuits from happening from events like this.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
NezumiiroKitsune said:
Still quite odd, even assuming he was sedentary for long (really long) periods of time. Was he over-weight? How was his diet? Did he have any pre-existing medical conditions, such as anaemia or diabetes? Important questions when uncovering the events that lead up to the development of DVT. In this case, gaming is apparently what fueled a sedentary lifestyle (for lack of disability), however other significant factors must have contributed to why he gamed for so long so often. Was he unemployed? Was he unhappy? Did he suffer from any other psychological illness, such as social anxiety? If so, these should be more directly attributed to the chronic-uninterrupted gaming sessions.

The actual cause of DVT was, therefore, a sedentary lifestyle mitigated by environmental pressures, including unhealthy sociological, psychological and dietary factors (or so I'd suspect).

If it turns out he was healthy, physiologically and psychologically, then I admit this is one of those times DVT struck outside the bell curve, and there was nothing anyone could have done.

Regardless of all of the above; I am sorry for their loss, and wish them strength and comfort in this unimaginably difficult time. They have my sympathies and condolences.

Off Topic. Does anyone else have issues with the captcha failing first time?
You have made some superb points. Even playing video games too much and sitting for long periods of time, a great many other factors must be taken into account. It's the same kind sensationalism that got Ephedra banned in the US (since been undone, I think....). Health is dictated by lots of things, not just a single act, no matter how much of your time that single act may take up.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Stubee said:
Just think, a kinect would have saved his life!
Awww, you got to it before I did >.>

Although by all means he probably would've just played Sonic Riders and used one of the motor bikes which allows you to sit down >.>

TheOneandOnly

Jun 7, 2010
Solution: Buy a really uncomfortable chair so that you can't sit still for too long. Works for me. <_<