Humble Indie Bundle #3 Makes a Million Dollars

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Humble Indie Bundle #3 Makes a Million Dollars

The latest Humble Indie Bundle has made a million dollars in just over a week.

Humble Indie Bundle #3 is chugging along nicely. Having made just north of a million dollars thus far and with another week left on the clock it seems set to reach or even exceed the $1.8 million bar set by the Humble Indie Bundle #2.

Humble Indie Bundle #3 lets players pay what they want (as long as it isn't zero dollars) for Crayon Physics Deluxe, VVVVVV, And Yet It Moves, Cogs, Hammerfight, a two week trial of Minecraft and, as announced today, a copy of Steel Storm. According to the Bundle's constantly updated tracker, they've shifted 216,144 bundles thus far, making a grand total of $1,032,521.82. The average purchaser has spent $4.78. The average Mac user has spent $6.60, marginally more than the average Windows user who paid $3.80. It's Linux users, however, that appear the most generous, having spent an average of $11.62.

The purchase which put the bundle over the million mark and also dethroned top contributor and Minecraft developer, Notch, was made by internet currency merchants Bitcoin. They apparently spent $4,096 on the bundle edging out the beloved Minecraft dev by fifty bucks.

Source: Gameindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-08-02-humble-bundle-3-scores-USD1-million-in-sales]

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Inb4 people justifying their $0.01 purchase.

I'm glad to see this, personally, I like seeing the indies making money.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
"We hit dirt pay!"
"That's pay dirt!"
"All I know is that we filthy *****."
"Filthy RICH!"
"I hope you doing that on, purpous, even if you're not."
"BANZAI!"

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Sober Thal said:
Here I figured over 1 million PC gamers would step up and donate at least a dollar.

The avg. donation was (for 216,144 bundles) $4.78? Where are you PC gamers hiding?
It was too much work to pay a cent, so they pirated it, therefore not factoring into the equation.

No but really, as a PC Gamer, it makes me happy to know the Indie crowd is receiving the support they rightly deserve from the community.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I upped my donation this time around because I like what they are doing, and supporting Childs Play and Indie developers.

I mean this thing is a no brainer, throw money at them in either small or large quantities.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
SgtFoley said:
Marudas said:
Sober Thal said:
Here I figured over 1 million PC gamers would step up and donate at least a dollar.

The avg. donation was (for 216,144 bundles) $4.78? Where are you PC gamers hiding?
It was too much work to pay a cent, so they pirated it, therefore not factoring into the equation.

No but really, as a PC Gamer, it makes me happy to know the Indie crowd is receiving the support they rightly deserve from the community.
But if I pirate it I dont have to deal with the steaming pile of dogshit that is steam.
Oh yeah, I steal things all the time because I have a stick up my ass about various people, things, or abstract ideas. Anything that will give me a flimsy excuse to validate myself while I make myself happy at the expense of others livelihood.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
SgtFoley said:
Marudas said:
Sober Thal said:

But if I pirate it I dont have to deal with the steaming pile of dogshit that is steam.
Actually, the bundle does not require Steam. While you can register your games with STeam (which I did) you can also download individual executables that don't require any internet acess at all (which I used so my wife could play Crayon Physics, which was why I bought the pack in the first place, other reason was so I could play Cogs).

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I'm a Windows user and paid $18.25. People are cheapskates, Notch is awesome.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
Marudas said:
Sober Thal said:

Giving you the slow clap, since paying only 1 cent would do more harm than good.
I'm not advocating that people pay a cent. Just lamenting that even though its an option, people would rather turn to piracy.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
SgtFoley said:
Marudas said:
Sober Thal said:

But if I pirate it I dont have to deal with the steaming pile of dogshit that is steam. Also getting my wallet out and typing in credit card info is really a lot of work.
(a) It doesn't require steam. (b) Have you ever heard of paypal?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SgtFoley said:
Marudas said:
Sober Thal said:

But if I pirate it I dont have to deal with the steaming pile of dogshit that is steam. Also getting my wallet out and typing in credit card info is really a lot of work.
Well, thank God it doesn't need Steam.

And as for pulling out your credit card taking work, (removed due to not wishing to be banned).

Feb 13, 2008
A million dollars and no Dr. Evil pic? Grey, I am disappoint.

But good for them, just a pity so many of the PC lot are such cheapskates.

Slick Samurai

Jul 3, 2009
If I cared to play any of these indy games, I would be one of the people who would pay one cent.

Why? One, I hate indy games and indy developers. Every single one of them seems to be an overrated little game everyone justifies with "But they had so little money to work with!" which doesn't translate to a good game. Two, when someone is given the option to pay how much they see fit for an item, there always seems to be some sort of stigmata for the people who pay the bare minimum. Apparently "Pay how much you like!" actually means "Pay how much you like, but it has to be above 3 dollars or you become the scum of the Earth in the eyes of everyone around you."

The irony in this situation is that the indy developers are supposed to be the developers who "Totally don't care about the money, dude, and just want everyone to have fun, man!" when the so called "fans" of these developers get their panties in a twist when someone doesn't give them that much money.

Someone in this forum had to take a stand for the sensible people.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Slick Samurai said:
If I cared to play any of these indy games, I would be one of the people who would pay one cent.

Why? One, I hate indy games and indy developers. Every single one of them seems to be an overrated little game everyone justifies with "But they had so little money to work with!" which doesn't translate to a good game. Two, when someone is given the option to pay how much they see fit for an item, there always seems to be some sort of stigmata for the people who pay the bare minimum. Apparently "Pay how much you like!" actually means "Pay how much you like, but it has to be above 3 dollars or you become the scum of the Earth in the eyes of everyone around you."
they consider you the scum of the earth because its charity not because its indi games. people tend to look down on you too if give a salt packet to a food drive and walk away with the free coffee mug there giving out.

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
Marudas said:
qwerty19411 said:
Marudas said:
Sober Thal said:

Giving you the slow clap, since paying only 1 cent would do more harm than good.
I'm not advocating that people pay a cent. Just lamenting that even though its an option, people would rather turn to piracy.
You're saying people resorted to piracy instead of paying one cent, with the later doing more harm than good.[footnote]Not advocating piracy, just pointing out the flaw in this logic[/footnote]
They are most likely charged a fee for each CC and PayPal. With PayPal I think that fee is .30 a transaction and 3% of the total amount. Paying them a penny could possibly cost them money. How they manage to work out that they made so much if this is actually happening is beyond me.
But I am so glad you took advantage to get in the generalization that PC gamers are pirates. Bravo. And in a topic that has nothing to do with piracy at all.