Mine 4 Dead: Blockhawk Down: Minecraft Meets Left 4 Dead

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mine 4 Dead: Blockhawk Down: Minecraft Meets Left 4 Dead

Mine 4 Dead: Blockhawk Down isn't just the most clever title in recent memory, it's also the moniker for an astonishing recreation of Valve's zombie shooter in the blocky world of Minecraft.

"Someone made a Left 4 Dead level for Minecraft?" I hear you snort derisively. "So, what? They made a couple blocky zombies and a gun or two?"

Rein in that cynicism partner. You obviously don't understand just how detailed this recreation is. I will direct your attention to the trailer embedded to the right.

Ignore the French text that only a handful of you can read. Instead, focus on the atmospheric darkness, the oppressive loneliness and the ruination of a recognizable, if blocky, American metropolis. That couldn't be more Left 4 Dead if Gabe Newell was waiting at the end to offer players cake and lies thereof.

Perhaps the cinematic take on this isn't your style. How about a nearly 10-minute playthrough of Mine 4 Dead courtesy a (presumably) unaffiliated gamer? That exists also:

Those of you now sharing my sense of awe, and itching to bust caps in the direction of geometric undead can find full details on Mine 4 Dead on the Minecraft forums [http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/487984-surv-mine-4-dead-blockhawk-down/]. Creator Bananafone31 has written an appropriately well-detailed guide to her creation, alongside a full walkthrough of how prospective zombie hunters can get this thing running at home.

Now I have a question for you Minecraft players: Given the scope of creative work in place here, and the overall quality of the resulting game, which is more impressive, Mine 4 Dead or that Legend of Zelda modification that appeared a few months back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111184-Modder-Drops-Legend-of-Zelda-Into-Minecraft]?

Update: As it turns out, Bananafone31, the creator of Mine 4 Dead, is a woman. We apologize for our gender confusion, and have corrected the above text to reflect her correct chromosomal orientation.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/02/minecraft-extraordimoddery-mine-4-dead/]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
"That is a true zombie game, because you could replace all the zombies with koala bears and it would still feel like a zombie game."

I think those words are suitably appropriate to describe my feelings on this mod;

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
I choose the third option to your question! Neither! The LotR one is by far the most impressive. :p

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Dragonborne88 said:
I choose the third option to your question! Neither! The LotR one is by far the most impressive. :p
I agree with this, the scope of that is just ridiculous. That blew my mind at the sheer size of everything.

This is still damn impressive though, especially since anybody who has played No Mercy will recognize that intro right away. The texture pack adds to it all.

millertime059

Jan 7, 2011
Minecraft mod of Left 4 Dead... Snore.

Minecraft mod of downtown Chicago... Woot!

I'm gonna play it just to destroy ... err walk around in... Daly plaza.
My day is made.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Im kind of unimpressed. Over the past year, it has become apparant that people enjoy taking things they like and mixing them with Minecraft. The music in the first vid was pretty irritating, as well.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I think this blows the zelda one out of the water, as Yahtzee said... Err, fuck it. Anyways, this is pretty amazing, showing that Minecraft is a better platform FOR games instead of little big planet.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
'Focus on the Atmospheric Darkness.'

Pretty hard not to on that first vid... It's all I could see for the most part.

Like, there was nothing else besides darkness.

Sure it's a cool Mod and all that, but like many others have said or are thinking, it just won't ever compare to the Middle Earth Recreation.

That's Pretty much the pinnacle of Minecraft creation until something truly wondrous arrives.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
That guy's gameplay footage makes my soul hurt. How can he go so slowly and get lost so often? Ug.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I just can't bring myself to be impressed by Minecraft recreations.

Likely because such massive projects offend my sense of pragmatism. Or perhaps it's just my general disdain of the program.

I'm just too old for this age.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Judging by the play through all it really need is some tweaking to the spawning mechanics.

Druyn

May 6, 2010
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Dragonborne88 said:
I agree with this, the scope of that is just ridiculous. That blew my mind at the sheer size of everything.

This is still damn impressive though, especially since anybody who has played No Mercy will recognize that intro right away. The texture pack adds to it all.
Off Topic: Your avatar is moving perfectly in sync with the beat of my music, and its making it hard to take it seriously. Escape by Mt Eden. I ask you desist before I am forced to file a restraining order.