Indie Games Summer Uprising Embraces Democracy

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Indie Games Summer Uprising Embraces Democracy

A poll on Facebook asks gamers to pick the last two games to be part of the Indie Games Summer Uprising.

Getting your game noticed on the Xbox Live Indie marketplace can be difficult, particularly when you're competing for space with such luminary titles as Card Creator, Why Did I Buy This? and Try not to Fart. Some developers don't think that's good enough. The Indie Games Summer Uprising [http://www.indiegames-uprising.com/Finalists.aspx] is a developer-run initiative to help promote Xbox Live Indie games that aren't, you know, crap.

Eight of the uprising's ten flagship games have been announced but the last two spots are reserved for the winners of a poll on Facebook. [https://www.facebook.com/XBLIG.IGSU] Voting closes on August 15th with the winners being announced the following day. You can sneak a peek at the current Uprising line up in the trailer below which, thanks to some choice music from Megaman, contains the most exhilarating train-track-building gameplay you will ever see.

The Eight games currently in the lineup:

T.E.C. 3001
Speedrunner HD
Raventhorne
Take Arms
Train Frontier Express
Cute Things Dying Violently
Doom and Destiny
Battle High: San Bruno

There are far too many candidates for the remaining two slots to list here, but you can take a closer look at each of the candidates, including those that have already earned a spot here. [http://indiegames-uprising.com/EntryMain.aspx?currentPage=0] Personally, I'm going with Katana Land, partially because of the game's cute squashed aesthetic, but mostly it's called Katana Land, which sounds like the best theme park ever.

The vote is a huge deal for Indie developers, as inclusion in the Summer Uprising may be their only chance to actually shift a decent amount of games in a market flooded with hastily produced quiz games and Minecraft knock-offs. While not every game in the Summer Uprising is a diamond in the rough, any attempt to highlight the genuinely good games hidden in Xbox Live's labyrinthine menu system is okay by me.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/voting-for-xbox-live-indie-games-summer-uprising-now-open-207750.phtml]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Xzi said:
Better idea indie devs: ditch XBL and come to Steam. They'll promote your game alongside titles like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dead Island rather than throwing them into a buried section of the interface that nobody ever visits. Sure as hell worked for Cthulu Saves the World.
This. I would buy Doom and Destiny and Battle High: San Bruno in a heartbeat if they were on Steam...just like I did with Cthulhu Saves The World. I don't have LIVE, unfortunately.

EdwardOrchard

Jan 12, 2011
Xzi said:
Better idea indie devs: ditch XBL and come to Steam. They'll promote your game alongside titles like Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dead Island rather than throwing them into a buried section of the interface that nobody ever visits. Sure as hell worked for Cthulu Saves the World.
At first, that sounded like a bit of Steam-fanboyism. But really, you're totally right. I didn't realize that consoles even had an indie scene, but even so, it seems like Steam is THE place for indie games. If they are trying to get some notice, I'd say Steam would be their best bet.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
So... the games which already have the largest fan base, and which are most able to mobilise them into helping them advertise, get help with advertising?

Surely they should just switch and pick the BOTTOM two once the voting is over?

Jul 22, 2009
Xzi said:
Why not just develop for Steam also?

I play Xbox as my main console and I enjoy good indie games.

Cthulu Saves the World and Zombies and Pterodactyls take up way too much of my time...

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Xzi said:
Indeed it did,when I heard of it on XBL I was like "Ok,that's nice I guess." Then I bought both games on Steam (Then I needed a new hard drive which means I have to start all over -_-) So yeah,indie games usually get more credit when they are on PC.

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
Oh boy another Indie Games uprising, please, please, PLEASE let there be Breath of Death VIII, or another new game by Zboyd; those guys are fantastic! :3

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This is direly needed, and I hope they get their dues, denied from them by M$.