Dragon Age 2: Legacy Review

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Good to hear that it has some interesting story aspects.. I still think I'll wait awhile. Maybe when they're completely done with all DA2 DLC.

But really? Did you have to suggest a "Game of the Year" edition at the end? It will only fuel the fire. We get enough DA2 raging on these forums.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Xzi said:
Looking at this, it feels like Susan should have reviewed DA2. It's obvious she would have given it a much more sensible score, rather than one based entirely on blinding Bioware fanboyism.

A bit too short and a bit too easy.
Both complaints which could have been levied against the base game as well.

Then again, she's quickly become my favorite reviewer on this site regardless.
Give it up, man ...

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Good review, still would have got it around payday if the review slated it mind.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
How is 5 hours of gameplay not worth 10 bucks? That's the price of a beer here in Norway. :\

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Xzi said:
Looking at this, it feels like Susan should have reviewed DA2. It's obvious she would have given it a much more sensible score, rather than one based entirely on blinding Bioware fanboyism.

A bit too short and a bit too easy.
Both complaints which could have been levied against the base game as well.

Then again, she's quickly become my favorite reviewer on this site regardless.
Give it up, man ...
Why should he? The DA2 review from here gives the game a 5/5 if I recall. Saying it deserves a 5/5 is total and utter rubbish. Whoever reviewed it either chose to ignore the glaring faults with the game or didn't bother playing it any great deal and just ran off a review. No unbiased critic can look at that game's total package and think "Gee there's a game that deserves a PERFECT score". I can see people making an argument for possibly a 4/5 despite the obvious faults but to give it a perfect score and make no mention of almost any of the biggest faults is laughable.

I've paid good money on games based solely off reviews done by The Escapist. I've yet to be terribly let down. However, had I done the same for Dragon Age 2 I would have been properly pissed.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
Easy? Perhaps on normal. Too bad there's not higher difficulties you could bump it up to...oh wait. I'm never quite sure what to make of reviews that mention something is too easy but then don't try it at a harder level. Hard or nightmare makes this a challenge.

And the real value with Legacy isn't the initial playtime, it's the replay value. Every single companion--including DLC exclusive Sebastian--got new dialogue for this. There are hours upon hours upon hours of new lore, banter, comments, etc. And the dialogue reflects game choices, romances, the fate of your siblings, etc. This is easily the most reactive piece of DLC BioWare or perhaps any company has ever released. I've gone through it four different times now and I'm still finding new content.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
That's how I feel about most BioWare DLC in general to be honest. (Okay, haven't bought all of the Origins stuff but I did for ME2) It's pretty good, but honestly I always feel like I'm not getting my money's worth.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
MatsVS said:
How is 5 hours of gameplay not worth 10 bucks? That's the price of a beer here in Norway. :\
It's understandable where you're coming from, but the XBLA has so many amazing, original, clever unique little games that offer way more than five hours for about ten bucks, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.
If I had the 1000 MSP, I have a bunch of stuff I'd buy first.

And that's just XBLA, there's awesome stuff on PSN, too.

nobodysomebody

Jun 30, 2011
I actually really liked the DLC. It had more of the DA:O feel of tactics, well, within reason, since the combat is entirely different. It just seemed more Dragon-Age-y than the entirety of DA2, but thats just my opinion.

Jul 9, 2008
Worr Monger said:
But really? Did you have to suggest a "Game of the Year" edition at the end? It will only fuel the fire. We get enough DA2 raging on these forums.
Are you joking? EVERY game gets a GOTY edition (which makes it a bit meaningless, if you think about it), I don't see how anyone could possibly rage about that.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Worr Monger said:
Are you joking? EVERY game gets a GOTY edition (which makes it a bit meaningless, if you think about it), I don't see how anyone could possibly rage about that.
Yeah, they really just call them like Gold editions like they used to.

Worr Monger

Jan 21, 2008
Worr Monger said:
I realize there are more than 1 "Games of the Year" each year out there... but it doesn't take much to get people raging on DA2.

Just look at the comment RIGHT below mine. The name alone brings raging.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Sounds decent. I'll look up an LP when one is out. It is like LotSB, I'm not interested enough to buy it, but I'm interested enough to see a playthrough. You are right about the GOTY edition comment, though. It seems to be the best strategy when it comes to RPGs today (Is currently waiting for the New Vegas GOTY Edition).