BioWare and Mythic Merge, Mark Jacobs Leaves

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioWare and Mythic Merge, Mark Jacobs Leaves

EA announced its intentions to merge its RPG divisions - most prominently including Mythic and BioWare - under a single RPG/MMO banner helmed by BioWare founder Ray Muzyka. Longtime Mythic boss Mark Jacobs, on the other hand, is leaving.

According to the post on the official Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning site [http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=841], Jacobs - founder and CEO of Mythic Entertainment - left the company yesterday, June 23rd. The other Mythic co-founder, Rob Denton, will be stepping up to fill Jacobs' spot as head honcho.

Denton, though, will now be reporting to BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka as part of EA's new RPG/MMO-focused megastudio umbrella. The announcement only mentions Mythic and BioWare by name, though the particular wording refers to "a new group that includes both Mythic and BioWare" (emphasis mine,) so one can assume that there will be other, smaller studios included in the merger as well.

Boy, there's so much you could potentially read into this. Did Jacobs leave of his own accord, or was this a "We're not entirely happy with you, please leave" move from an EA unhappy with how WAR was faring? Sure, 300,000 subscribers isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, but it's perfectly reasonable and sustainable from an MMOG these days.

At any rate, merging a longtime MMOG developer with a well-known and respected RPG studio (currently developing one of the most highly-anticipated MMOGs in recent memory) is a pretty high-profile move for EA. So, what do you all think? Is this EA kicking things into high gear for a head-to-head confrontation with Blizzard's World of Warcraft? Is this the death knell for the single-player RPG?

Feel free to freak out and speculate wildly. I mean, that's half the fun.

Update: Not much of an update here, to be honest - an EA rep got back to us and pretty much confirmed what we knew: "Mythic and BioWare are grouped together into a new RPG/MMO studio group, led by Ray Muzyka, but will continue to operate as two teams. Nothing changes in the day-to-day roles and responsibilities of the dev teams."

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Rob Denton must be one of the coolest names ever...

Anyway I hope this will shed new light into games of both studios (especially Warhammer Online).

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I hope Mark finds something soon, the man has a lot of good ideas and potential.

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Over at Warhammer Alliance, where I serve as Assistant Site Manager, this has set off a flurry of speculation, from what this means for WAR, to what it means for SW:TOR and more.

From our perspective, WAR has done decent, but has suffered from the "overhype/underdeliver" syndrome of the past few MMO releases. Sadly, Mark Jacobs was a big part of this, and the very public quotes he created for the game pre-release (such as quoting exact sub numbers for profitability and server numbers as a gauge for success) hurt WAR's reputation and were probably not set as realistically as they could have been.

WAR has trended downwards in subs but has remained steady at 300k since the beginning of the year. It's unknown where subs are now, but a major content patch was just released, so what that means for the game remains to be seen. The Post-WoW syndrome has created unrealistic expectations from players and developers alike to reach millions of subs and mass market appeal, but has contradicted that by sticking to a core vision that really isn't mass-appealing. WoW is the McDonald's of MMOs, taking from other titles to create casual-friendly, gateway gamer appeal, and if you're not willing to do that, you won't reach their numbers. But not reaching them doesn't mean you fail as an MMO. WAR, by non-WoW standards, is doing just fine. I have a balanced view of them and know there are problems, but said problems have been addressed in a progressive manner these past six months.

We respect Mark for what he's done, but when it comes to when something isn't doing as well, the top of the chain is the first to go. We've had a lot of contact with the Mythic team and they are all hardworking, dedicated people, so it isn't for lack of trying.

This honestly can only be beneficial to both companies. Bioware has tons of developer equity but has zero MMO experience, something Mythic can certainly offer in terms of dealing with crazy MMO fans like us. Mythic can benefit from a fresh direction for WAR and the successful practices that have made Bioware a successful and positively perceived company.

There are tons of people speculating that WAR is on the chopping block with Bioware in charge of the new combined group under EA, but I don't know we can say that. If EA can create profitable markets in both the fantasy and sci-fi MMO areas, it will end up being extremely powerful as a player in the industry.

JimmieDean

Jun 11, 2009
All us single player rpg fans are just keeping our fingers crossed that this doesn't mean bioware will be an mmo company now.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
EA announced its intentions to merge its RPG divisions - most prominently including Mythic and BioWare - into a single RPG/MMO studio helmed by BioWare founder Ray Muzyka.

I have to correct that immediately. We are not "one studio." It just means that all of the studios are now gathered under a single heading and label, while operating as normal.

If it were an actual merging of studios, there'd be a lot more panic. ;)

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
As long as they give me a brilliant Star Wars MMO, Im happy enough to ignore the politics.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
As much as it pains me to admit it...

Studios WANT the single player game to die, it makes their lives a whole lot easier.

Less AI to program, less reason to hire writers to work on a story, less need to include meaningful gameplay in the case of MMO's (replacing it all with frustrating grind) and of course, subscription/micro transaction based games which require you to spend money constantly to keep playing.

It's a big corporations dream, cut costs and increase profit.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

WHYYY BIOWARE, WHYYY!!

Aw Jesus, seriously... Bioware was doing fine, Mythic was failing, they didn't want to kill the cheese-giving cow that is called Warhammer Online.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Seriously? I hope BioWare doesnt stop making Single Player RPGs.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
EA announced its intentions to merge its RPG divisions - most prominently including Mythic and BioWare - into a single RPG/MMO studio helmed by BioWare founder Ray Muzyka.

I have to correct that immediately. We are not "one studio." It just means that all of the studios are now gathered under a single heading and label, while operating as normal.

So BioWare still lives? Wait.. You work for them?

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
What?! NOOOO!!!!

I feared something like this would happen, but I didn't want to believe it. BioWare's integrity has been compromised!

DAMN YOU, EA! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
Undead Dragon King said:
What?! NOOOO!!!!

I feared something like this would happen, but I didn't want to believe it. BioWare's integrity has been compromised!

This is the kind of Chicken Littling I disagree with. It's an extremely slippery slope to predict, at least in the thread that we have on our site, everything from WAR being shuttered, to Bioware and Mythic combining into a single studio (they're just merging into a group consistently managed, now), to SW:TOR being tainted forever.

People need to calm down and not pose speculation as fact.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
In other news, EA plans to acquire Blizzard and Bethesda to further their goal of forming RPG Voltron.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
fsanch said:
Undead Dragon King said:
What?! NOOOO!!!!

This is the kind of Chicken Littling I disagree with. It's an extremely slippery slope to predict, at least in the thread that we have on our site, everything from WAR being shuttered, to Bioware and Mythic combining into a single studio (they're just merging into a group consistently managed, now), to SW:TOR being tainted forever.

People need to calm down and not pose speculation as fact.
Of course the two studios are not fully merged, but now Dr. Ray has to deal with a lot of extra dead weight as he is now in effect the leader of Mythic, beyond the EA suits, at any rate. That's what I meant by BioWare's integrity being compromised.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
RollForInitiative said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Corrected it. Thanks, James :)

PhoenixFlame

Dec 6, 2007
CantFaketheFunk said:
RollForInitiative said:
CantFaketheFunk said:

Corrected it. Thanks, James :)

Ah ha! So that's who beat me to informing the Escapist. I'm not surprised.