Gearbox Unofficially Confirms Borderland Sequel

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Gearbox Unofficially Confirms Borderland Sequel

Gearbox Software isn't officially working on the sequel to Borderlands, but it's announced that it's got future plans for the franchise.

<a href=http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Xbox-360/dp/B000WMEEB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312358554&sr=8-1>Borderlands is one of those games that was a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6712-Review-Borderlands>big enough critical and commercial success that everyone's known a sequel was coming for quite some time. However, recent rumors on the Web have claimed that Borderlands 2 would arrive in stores sometime in 2012. Gearbox's fearless leader (and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110967-Gearbox-Duke-Nukem-is-Not-a-Chris-Brown-Kind-of-Character>ardent defender of the character Duke Nukem) Randy Pitchford has decided to break radio silence and lay these rumors to rest while giving rise to yet another batch.

Speaking to Eurogamer about the proposed release date, Pitchford had this to say:

"I can tell you that myself and everyone at Gearbox LOVES Borderlands and we have been absolutely thrilled at the reception it's gotten from our customers and the fact that it's sold over four million units now.

"So you can see that we supported the game like mad with lots of great DLC and you can imagine that we're going to want to do a lot of things with Borderlands in the future.

"But we've only announced what we've announced. If we haven't announced it, it doesn't exist.

"Plans and efforts towards the future always exist with a forward looking studio like Gearbox, of course, but brainstorming and blue sky research and development should never be allowed to be construed into a customer promise.

"A customer promise should not be made until that promise becomes sufficiently clear and ready and the commitment is there to deliver upon the promise."

While this isn't an official confirmation of a sequel, Pitchford's comments certainly imply that the sequel is going to happen. However, Eurogamer claims that "We've heard an announcement from publisher 2K Games [about Borderlands 2 will be made soon."

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-02-borderlands-2-confirmed-source>Eurogamer

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
WHAT IS THIS STRANGE FEELING???? GETTING EXCITED ABOUT A GAME?????

I really hope there's a sequel.
Borderlands is one of my favourite games of all time...

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I do hope they make another one.

There's just so much they can do, provided they improve on what is already a solid concept.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
More Borderlands sounds good to me... Well, not Moxxi's Underdome or Crawmerax. But the rest of it, yes please.

"A customer promise should not be made until that promise becomes sufficiently clear and ready and the commitment is there to deliver upon the promise."
Now if only other developers felt this way... *coughcapcomcough* Oh excuse me.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
vansau said:
Say what you will about duke nukem forever, you can't say Pitchford doesn't conduct himself as a respectable man. Between honoring old pre-orders for dnf and realizing that it's just not right to promise fans something only to never deliver the guy's got some genuine class.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Let me get this straight: they're saying "hey, don't get all worked up making assumptions and reading too much into things", so you wrote an article doing exactly that?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Hurrah! Borderlands is a fantastic game!

In fact, I'm going to send an email to Gearbox right now to tell how fantastic their game is.

Hopefully, the minor issues will be dealt with and they'll just keep the character and style in the sequel. I still need to get through all the DLC too...

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
There's a lot of issues in Borderlands, but I bet a sequel could iron them out.
LIST. MORE. THAN. FOUR. ATTRIBUTES. FOR. GUNS. WHEN. THEY. HAVE. MORE. THAN. FOUR.

Sorry, I don't know what came over me...

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Oh shit yeah.

In my eyes the gameplay aspect of Borderlands is mostly nailed, but I would like to see more emphasis on story, and hopefully a new locale and setting. While I loved the hell out of Borderlands I would like to see it be taken in a new direction somewhat.

Anyway, we all knew this was coming, only now I really can't wait.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Borderlands was a good game lots of fun times in a really unique world, the biggest problem I had with the game was the bare bones story there wasn't much there and it was virtually non existent in the side missions and they cut the different stories for the different classes thay would have made the story much more engaging. Gearbox does good work and I'd gladly pick up a sequel no if they'd only announce it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sounds good overall, but I do hope they remember to clear out most of the bugs this time before release.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
I loved number 1, its a great laugh with a few of you friends. I just hope the world is a bit more expansive and a little less linear in places.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
A Borderlands sequel should have been made instead of DNF!, WHHHYYYYY RANDYYYYYY!

Ahem.

Booze Zombie said:
LIST. MORE. THAN. FOUR. ATTRIBUTES. FOR. GUNS. WHEN. THEY. HAVE. MORE. THAN. FOUR.
I personally thought that feature (or lack of) kept each character quite balanced.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
CardinalPiggles said:
Booze Zombie said:
I personally thought that feature (or lack of) kept each character quite balanced.
What do you mean? A gun can have up to about 8-12 special abillities but they only show you the first four, so you have to guess which guns are better.