Red Orchestra 2 Marked "Low Violence" For Australia

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Red Orchestra 2 Marked "Low Violence" For Australia

R18 is coming but FPS fans in Australia may still have to put up with a "low violence" version of Red Orchestra 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Red-Orchestra-2-Heroes-Stalingrad-Pc/dp/B002MFU290/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312407285&sr=8-1].

Second World War FPS Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad isn't for everyone. It boasts realistic gameplay elements, with weapons modeling that includes bullet spin, drop and no ammo counter on the HUD, blind firing, permanent health loss, limited cover and more. Set as it is in the vicious Battle of Stalingrad, it will presumably also bring its share of violent imagery to the table - unless you're in Australia, that is.

Preorders on Steam are now available but if you happen to log in from the Land Down Under, you'll receive a message telling you that you're getting the "low violence version" of the game. That's the same message that came attached with the Aussie version of heavily edited [http://www.amazon.com/Left-4-Dead-2-Pc/dp/B002BRYXRQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1312407408&sr=8-2] in order to keep the country's censor brigade happy.

With an R18+ rating for games in the offing, the assumption was that this sort of nonsense was over, but as Tripwire Interactive Vice President Alan Wilson explained, it's not quite so cut-and-dried.

"We've put 'LV' up for Australia because we haven't got the rating back yet - and dear old Oz has just announced the new higher rating category," he wrote on Steam's Red Orchestra forum [http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24076736&postcount=9]. "We are HOPING that they will take the same view as PEGI/BBFC and NOT go all silly on us. However, until we're sure, we putting LV up to be safe. The Okkers may want to wait a few days and see what the end result is - but we'd hate for you to buy it and THEN find your ratings board can't cope with dismemberment (like USK...)."

The USK, for the record, is Germany's videogame rating board, which takes a dim view of such shenanigans [particularly when Nazis are involved], while "Okkers" is apparently a term of endearment for Australians.

The PC-exclusive Red Orchestra 2 comes out on August 30 so there's still plenty of time for the Australian situation to be resolved, but unless and until it does, consider yourselves warned.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Normally I'd be rather annoyed at this news on principle, but in the case of another WWII shooter (even one that is apparently making some effort to be unique) I have to say:

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Arcane Azmadi said:
Normally I'd be rather annoyed at this news on principle, but in the case of another WWII shooter (even one that is apparently making some effort to be unique) I have to say:
You realize that A) there aren't that many any more and that B) that it's a sequel to a moderately successful (not in terms of sales so much, but it has a devoted fan base) game? At least like three, four fucks have been given. Maybe even five, as more people find out.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
first time I've looked at anything about this game. The gameplay elements mentioned sound good. Hope they get the ratings sorted out.

By the way if anyone is interested, Okker is a very specific type of Aussie not all Aussies. Okkers are old school, stereotypical Ausssies like croc dundee. If we were to speak like that on here alot of people wouldn't understand us. Heres an Okker dictionary http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
snip
Actually, it isn't simply "another WWII shooter." It's basically the ArmA (though that might be pushing it, but you catch my drift) of WWII shooters, far from your average WWII FPS.

Luckily that also means that this isn't a game that thrives on gore, like L4D2. As long as all the gameplay mechanics stay intact it isn't that much of a problem. Still sad to see that such censorship is still around though.

puffy786

Jun 6, 2011
Well they just have to remove blood and gore to get the game sold in Australia. Its not like those 2 really matter in the game, since most of the shooting is from long distance and you probably won't identify your enemy for anything more than a blur from a distance.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Wabblefish said:
As an Australian when I see stuff like this I just breathe in and think 'At least we aren't Germany...at least we aren't Germany'

Also why does everyone think RO2 will be a mediocre generic WWII shooter? Come on, have you even looked at the game? Also its made by TRIPWIRE, they don't even have to try to make it a non-generic game
I want to look at the game but I YouTube won't let me.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I don't think much will be lost from the impact of the game. Red Orchestra is all about hardcore sim-like gameplay, not graphics. Besides Brendan is going to steamroll NSW soon and make them adapt a R-18+ rating if they don't pull their thumbs out of their arses soon.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Arcane Azmadi said:
As others have said, this isn't ust another WWII game. There will be no rushing rambo style at the enemy and taking out 12 guys. You try that in Red Orchestra and you die horribly. Not to mention if they keep the tank mechanics (where anything short of a 3 man team is going to fail) its more of a WWII simulator than a standard fps.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
As an Aussie myself, I wish developers wouldn't do this. I would really rather see them just say "Well, we're not going to sell it in your country then." It's not like Aussie gamers have a hard time importing it, or using proxies or VPNs to buy online as if they were from another country. I prefer developers just refusing to comply with our crappy ratings system altogether.

BTW, it's "Ocker", not "Okker".

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
So it's a "low violence" version of the battle of Stalingrad? I need to give my brain a second to comprehend that.

I'm glad the R18 rating seems to be on track, but I understand these are untested waters, and smaller developers would rather be safe than sorry. Once the rating has been firmly established and a precedence set then hopefully things should be business as usual.

xenos60

Mar 14, 2009
This makes absolutely so sense
The violence will be exactly the same as Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, and they didn't feel the need to censor it now especially when we are so close to obtaining an R rating.
The fact that this is the only game I've been remotely excited about this whole year just magnifies the rage I'm feeling right now.

GoGummiBear

May 12, 2010
kalt_13 said:
first time I've looked at anything about this game. The gameplay elements mentioned sound good. Hope they get the ratings sorted out.

By the way if anyone is interested, Okker is a very specific type of Aussie not all Aussies. Okkers are old school, stereotypical Ausssies like croc dundee. If we were to speak like that on here alot of people wouldn't understand us. Heres an Okker dictionary http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html.
hahaha, I've lived in Brisbane my entire life and I didn't even know what an "Okker" was...

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Arcane Azmadi said:
I give a fuck, It sounds like a really good game.

I've only ever heard okker used as an adjective not a noun. But I know what he's getting at.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Granted, I've killed more nazis than the actual red army but this game actually sounds hard. No regenerative health means I don't just wipe the jam from my eyes and limited cover means I have to maneuver well.

After watching a gameplay video, I would like to thank them for having a first person cover system in multiplayer and insane attention to historical detail.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Why can't all digital distributors give retailers the middle finger and stop tracking ISPs like GoG? :(