Starcraft 2 Gets Unlimited Trial Mode

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Starcraft 2 Gets Unlimited Trial Mode

The new trial version of Blizzard's best-selling RTS sequel Starcraft 2 will include both single and multiplayer components.

Starcraft 2 already has a demo, but Blizzard has unveiled a new way for people to try the game before putting down their cold, hard cash. Blizzard will offer an unlimited trial, giving potential purchasers the chance to play though a not insubstantial amount of content for free.

The trial, called the Starcraft 2 Starter Edition, includes the first four single player missions, two challenges, and the ability to play as the Terran side in custom multiplayer matches across four multiplayer maps. Players of the Starter Edition will also be able to watch all the replays that they want, although you can only watch them online. You will have to sign up for a Battle.net account in order to play the Starter Edition however.

Starcraft 2 will be the second Blizzard game to get this kind of unlimited trial, following in the footsteps of World of Warcraft. It's not a bad way to get people to try your game, and hopefully Blizzard will be able to convert some of those people into paying customers.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/08/03/starcraft-ii-gets-unlimited-trial-in-place-of-demo.aspx]

Ocealot

Aug 3, 2011
I thought I was good at this game until I saw in personal 'Perfessionals' play and it was like his pinkie was having a spasm tapping all the hotkeys, he didn't even touch the mouse once. The unlimited trail intrigues me but I bet blizzard will make a nice little profit from this Idea.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Ah, yes. The old marketing screwover. Get people to buy your game just in time to tell them the expansion/sequel is coming out in a few months and the current multiplayer will become useless. Way BM, Blizzard. Earlier on, this would have been a noble idea, but now it's just kind of a dickmove to the people who end up buying it unaware of Heart of the Swarms imminent release.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
EverythingIncredible said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Starcraft 2 technically doesn't have a demo, but that doesn't mean that you can't try it out before you put down your cold, hard cash.
Yes there is.

Even before this announcement, there was an offline demo version of the game available

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/1797995
Ah, so there is. I was sure that there wasn't.

I have updated the story to reflect this information.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SwimmingRock said:
Ah, yes. The old marketing screwover. Get people to buy your game just in time to tell them the expansion/sequel is coming out in a few months and the current multiplayer will become useless. Way BM, Blizzard. Earlier on, this would have been a noble idea, but now it's just kind of a dickmove to the people who end up buying it unaware of Heart of the Swarms imminent release.
Imminent release? You really must not buy a lot of Blizzard games :p

HotS is at least a year out.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
SwimmingRock said:
Blizzard is a bit like Valve: lots of QA and time, too little hurry-up.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
John Funk said:
SwimmingRock said:

Fair point about Blizzard, but I'm somebody who manages about 5 hours a week to play videogames and doesn't keep track of time very well, so it took me 5 months just to finish the campaign of WoL. I suppose assuming other people game on my schedule is not a good idea.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
That's awesome, when is it happening and where can I get it?
I've always been on the edge about trying out Starcraft 2 but I've never really put in time for downloading the demo. I'm not entirely sure if it will work on my computer either. So I guess this will be it...

Edit: found it [https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/;jsessionid=F85F14EB7DA43BE0CDAD411A3C47DEA3.blade34_01_bnet-mgmt], thanks "EverythingIncredible"

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
See, Blizzard gets it. You'd never see this kinda demo treatment from Activision or EA. And heck, Capcom is taking to charging people for demos. *Sigh* Sometimes I weep for the current state of the gaming industry.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Irish Soulface said:
I miss this game, don't know why I uninstalled it :p
You say as you reinstall and get zergling and dt rushed... XD "Ohhh yeah!"

Just playing though, everyone should know by now that there are easy ways to avoid that from happening. :p Atleast I hope D:

Pretty cool that they are allowing this. Bit surprising really!

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
See, Blizzard gets it. You'd never see this kinda demo treatment from Activision or EA. And heck, Capcom is taking to charging people for demos. *Sigh* Sometimes I weep for the current state of the gaming industry.
The biggest problem there is it's not mainly down to the games industry ... we as gamers are the reason for it.

We're willing to pay so they charge. If they have a chance to make money and we, as gamers, are gullible enough to pay for it then of course they will milk something for everything they can get.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
SwimmingRock said:
John Funk said:
SwimmingRock said:

Fair point about Blizzard, but I'm somebody who manages about 5 hours a week to play videogames and doesn't keep track of time very well, so it took me 5 months just to finish the campaign of WoL. I suppose assuming other people game on my schedule is not a good idea.
If it took you that long to complete the campaign, then I don't see what's wrong? They provided you with ample content. By that logic I'd expect you to be eagerly anticipating the expansion pack. Even so, offering up a portion of the first game for unlimited play before an expansion pack isn't a bad thing at all. It provides for a good demo, and it makes Blizzard money.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
An extremely large-scale demo? An easy-to-use registration and download? Huh, maybe I had Activision and Blizzard all wrong, maybe they are worthy of my respe...

Oh, an error authenticating my download of the demo that no one can fix because it doesn't synchronize with my internet?

Yeah, I take it all back. Screw you forever Blizzard.