Simian Cinema

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Simian Cinema

There's more to primate-based cinema than just giant gorillas.

Read Full Article

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MovieBob said:
A film you missed.

A lost film only know of it's existence from this single surviving poster, it was supposed to of been made by Toho, best know for making Godzilla. Little is known of the film, and it is suggested that all copies were destroyed during the bombing during WW2. Completely losing films was REALLY common at the time, we only have about one third of all films made before 1950, and many the ones we have are in incomplete form (Metrapolist is thought to have about a third to a forth of the film lost), or only exist in one single copy (Thomas Edison's Frankenstein).

Mackie Stingray

Feb 15, 2010
So! I just watched Monkey Shines.
It's Romero, I had to try it out.
Not bad. Sort of Freudian, though not in the 'kill your father to fuck your mother' sense. More like Lord of the Flies was Freudian. Kind of made me think of a recent article here about Rousseau vs. Hobbes (and also, in that case, about Red Dead Redemption and Fallout New Vegas). Definitely more on the Hobbes end of things.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Haha, I was at a friend's house talking about our childhoods TV shows with their kids. I broke out Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp and we went to Youtube for some videos. They could not believe their eyes. Kids today....

For "great apes" MovieBob, George of the Jungle is worth a mention for John Cleese's performance. Dare I say it was "primal"?

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
No mention of Congo? The only ape movie I know of that shows Apes ripping out and eating the eyeballs of the human antagonists?

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Hey! Don't be dissin' on Lancelot Link. I've been thinking for a while that it's overdue for a big-screen revival.

Of course, I also want someone to do a big-budget state of the arts special effects feature based on the old TV series UFO. (Still set in the 80s, naturally.)

Distazo

Feb 25, 2009
Another great random list of movies that I have never heard of before this point. I am not really that into monkeys but I think I will check a few of the more cocaine-fueled ones out.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Am I the only one here who saw the title of this post and instantely thought of Ape Escape 3?

Also, good job Bob.

JehuBot

Jun 1, 2011
Man , that was so good , I wish it was a "Big Picture" episode -_-

fun read , though. ^^