Brink Gets Free to Play Weekend on Steam

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Brink Gets Free to Play Weekend on Steam

Why settle for just a demo, when you can try the whole game?

For the next few days there's a way of playing the entirety of the team-based shooter Brink for free, without having to steal it from GameStop or download it illegally. Publisher Bethesda has announced that in celebration of Quakecon, Brink will be free to play all weekend on Steam.

Brink is set in a dystopian future where two rival factions battle for supremacy on the Ark, a floating city in a flooded Earth. The game mixes objective-based gameplay, RPG elements like classes and experience points, a not insignificant assortment of customization options, and an ambitious parkour-style movement system.

As well as the main game, the free to play weekend includes recently released DLC pack, Agents of Change, which adds two extra maps, a higher level cap, and more costumes. You can head over to Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/] right now, grab the game, and play it until 1PM PST on Sunday. For people who don't live on the West Coast of North America, that's 5PM EST, and 9PM GMT.

Developer Splash Damage has a long history making this kind of shooter, having created the Wolfenstein and Quake Wars Enemy Territory titles, both of which proved popular with reviewers. Brink has admittedly did get a slightly more mixed reception, but if you're curious and you have a PC that can run the game, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Source: Bethblog [http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/08/04/quakecon-2011-brink-free-to-play-on-steam-this-weekend/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bethesdablog+%28Bethesda+Blog%29]

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Alot of games go on free to play weekends all the time on steam... what makes Brink so much more different that it deserves a news article?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Yeah good that steam is keeping some part of the try before you buy tradition going on the PC. Now demos seem to be a console only thing, the one platform that does not need it as much, due to rental being a possibility.

Good that steam is filling in for devs now. And yes I know devs have to give the OK for Steam to offer this, but without Steam we would have no chance of getting things like this....

Edit: ignore my rant, Brink had a normal demo that odiously past me by....

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
tombman888 said:
Alot of games go on free to play weekends all the time on steam... what makes Brink so much more different that it deserves a news article?
Probably only since it's Quakecon.

OT: I tried it, not a bad game, not a great game either for that matter, but decent :p

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
without having to [...] download it from the internet

[...]

You can head over to Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/] right now, grab the game, and play it until 1PM PST on Sunday.
Wait a minute...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Sgt. Dante said:
But TF2 is F2P forever... WHy would you want a cheap imitation?
Take a drink :3

I wouldn't call it just a cheap imitation of TF2, it has it's "differences" if you may, but ya. Might aswell play TF2 since it's F2P now...and it has lower requirements of your PC then Brink.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Logan Westbrook said:

[...]

You can head over to Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/22350/] right now, grab the game, and play it until 1PM PST on Sunday.
Wait a minute...
I think he implied pirating with that "without having to download it from the internet" ;)

I loled though..skimmed past that part it seems xD

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Good that BRINK is getting a free weekend, after the atrocity that is the brain dead critics bashing it so hard, I hope this brings some new people into the mix. An extremely underrated game.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Tried it out and... well, it wasn't very good.
Maybe it was the fact that my teammates were all "herpa derp let's only use the frontline and only be soldiers and operatives" or maybe it just wasn't very good.
Plus, for all the customisation that it bragged, there was hardly any.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
therandombear said:
Sgt. Dante said:

I wouldn't call it just a cheap imitation of TF2, it has it's "differences" if you may, but ya. Might aswell play TF2 since it's F2P now...and it has lower requirements of your PC then Brink.
In work so only hot chocolate or water atm, will save it for later.

But yeah, Tf2 is a simpler to run, more classes, better (imo) art style (disregarding hats etc) and is free forever. I don't see that there's a comaprison. It's like comaring a perfectly cooked steak to beef flavoured crisps.

I'm all for different gaming experiences, but Surely people would want to spend their time playing the best examples of a genre? Rather than anything that uses similar mechanics.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
tombman888 said:
Your statement matches your avatar perfectly by the way. And maybe it's because there is no other news right now?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Sgt. Dante said:
therandombear said:
Sgt. Dante said:

In work so only hot chocolate or water atm, will save it for later.

But yeah, Tf2 is a simpler to run, more classes, better (imo) art style (disregarding hats etc) and is free forever. I don't see that there's a comaprison. It's like comaring a perfectly cooked steak to beef flavoured crisps.

I'm all for different gaming experiences, but Surely people would want to spend their time playing the best examples of a genre? Rather than anything that uses similar mechanics.
Ya, true. Atm TF2 is one of the best FPS online games, and it's free. Gets constatnly updated with maps, weapons and ofc hats, and the balancing issues now then xD

TF2 also has more personality imo, with all the comics "Meet The...." videos and even the TF2 blogposts ;)

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Thanks, The Escapist, I take my leave with the knowledge that Spiral Knights has PvP now.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
I don't see why Brink should ever cost any amount of money, seeing as the game is absolutely terrible.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
tombman888 said:
Well I think this place announces ALL free to play weekends,because I could've sworn that they talked about Dino D-Day being free for the weekend.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Eh, i could run it on my computer i might play it for the multi, but i rented it...and it was just so boring.
And some missions were impossible while playing by yourself.
Fucking "Hak dat Missul!".
If i cant get to the damn thing i cant freaking hack it.

But it was fun while it lasted, it had some cool ideas and the classes had some awesome abilities.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Logan Westbrook said:

[...]

Wait a minute...
Ha! Good point. I was referring to piracy there, but I can see how that might be unclear. I shall fix that post haste!

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
frederichvon said:
Sgt. Dante said:
Thats ever so slighty dismissive, just because BRINK is class based does not make it similar to TF2. Thats like saying STALKER is a cod clone just because its first person and has guns. I have played both of them and they play completley differently.
Ah, but that's kinda my point, WHy did you suggest CoD as your example of FPS?

Because it's pretty much accepted as the best in it's genre.

The same as TF2, it's prettymuch the best class based shooter out there. Every genre has it's "goto" example of how things "should" be done, and any game of that type will and perhaps should inevitably be comapred to that gold-standard title.

The same way all sandbox games are compared to GTA and all MMORPG's are comapred to WoW.