Maroon 5 Lead Singer Suing Activison

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Maroon 5 Lead Singer Suing Activison

Adam Levine, the callous mastermind behind pop band, Maroon 5, is suing Activision over his depiction in Band Hero.

Making a claim very much like that the one former members of the now defunct ska-pop outfit No Doubt made earlier in the year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107817-No-Doubt-Gets-the-Go-Ahead-on-Activision-Lawsuit], Levine argues that he only signed on to appear in Band Hero to sing one song, his own. Of course that's not quite how it panned out. Band Hero allowed the player to select Levine as a band frontman then have him perform not only the Maroon 5 hit "She Will Be Loved," but any song in the game's roster, with often hilarious results. The lawsuit, which covers allegations of fraudulent inducement, breach of contract, violation of the common-law right of publicity, and unfair business acts or practices, was filed in a Los Angeles superior court yesterday and seeks an undisclosed amount of damages.

Apparently a specific source of irritation for Levine was the fact his motion captured likeness could be used to perform songs with female vocals. That and he was apparently getting paid less than other musicians signed to the game.

Essentially Levine claims that he did not agree to be depicted as he was in the game. Though it's easy to dismiss this as another celebrity money grab, just take a look at the picture in the top right there. Good lord, He looks like Morrisey crossed with Cleetus Spuckler from the Simpsons. Whatever your feelings about Maroon 5, that horrendous digital approximation of a human being certainly adds some credibility to Adam Levine's complaints. Also, five bucks says that's the first time the words "Adam Levine" and "credibility" have been used in the same sentence by any reputable news source, ever.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/maroon-5-frontman-sues-activision-over-band-hero-208025.phtml]

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
I think "prat sues prick" would of been a better headline, but thats just me.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009

Sorry,but I don't give a fuck about Maroon 5 and I see Activision as a bunch of money grubbing shit suckers,so yeah,I'm outta here.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm getting the distinct feeling that Grey Carter doesn't like Maroon 5 much. Anybody else picking that up too? Weird...

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
It's been something like 2 years since Band Hero came out. Surely this is leaving complaints a little bit late?

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Just a note: As far as I know, No Doubt are still together. A new album is coming out this fall.

OT: Well, wonder who else is going to end up suing over their likeness in video games...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well how else you expect the guy to make any money? I have my doubts his stuff even gets torrented.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Little late to the party now, are we?

Regardless, it all depends on the contract he signed. If he didn't read through it and they can legally do this, I've no sympathy for him.

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
What is this is strange feeling of not caring? I've felt it before and I feel it here now. Hmmm, they're probably related.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
This story is pretty unimportant, but what I want to know is what does everyone have against Maroon 5?

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I think he's just pised because the in game character model of himn looks like shit...which he should have expected since all the character models in all the Guitar Hero and Band Hero games look like shit.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
I don't really like Maroon 5 but I support Levine on this one. For two reasons; Activision is evil, and these rockband/guitarhero/bandhero/musicband/heroguitar/nippleband/heroartist/blahband/failhero games need to die. Misrepresenting artists and misleading them into terms of using their likeness is shady.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
koroem said:
I don't really like Maroon 5 but I support Levine on this one. For two reasons; Activision is evil, and these rockband/guitarhero/bandhero/musicband/heroguitar/nippleband/heroartist/blahband/failhero games need to die. Misrepresenting artists and misleading them into terms of using their likeness is shady.
I would normally be all on board with this idea, except Activision made some pretty good points when the same thing was brought up with Cobain and No Doubt (both bringing suits). The major one is that all the Guitar Hero games have set the precedent from day 1 that anyone can be used for anything. Something like 3 games in the series before this had celebrity guest stars and it was well known that they were used for everything (Ozzy was hilarious to make sing all kinds of fun songs). Precedent had been set, and as long as the contract DIDN'T say they couldn't they should expect to.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Hold on!

Wait...

Damn

I cant say I care....You are a shitty modern day band and produce bland same soundy music

Shut up and go...whatever the hell you were doing on my radio this morning...

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Mouse_Crouse said:
koroem said:
I would normally be all on board with this idea, except Activision made some pretty good points when the same thing was brought up with Cobain and No Doubt (both bringing suits). The major one is that all the Guitar Hero games have set the precedent from day 1 that anyone can be used for anything. Something like 3 games in the series before this had celebrity guest stars and it was well known that they were used for everything (Ozzy was hilarious to make sing all kinds of fun songs). Precedent had been set, and as long as the contract DIDN'T say they couldn't they should expect to.
Then it is misleading if the developers didn't specifically state their likeness would be used for other tracks. If they came to you and said "Can we use your likeness for this song" with the intention of using you elsewhere then how is the artist to know that without having first hand knowledge of the product? I doubt a lot of busy artists spend time researching things that they rely on agents or managers for. Perhaps that lays some fault on the artist, but it seems misleading and shady given that multiple artists have now complained over it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, to be honest I think the video game industry has a long history of defrauding people in the music business. I honestly think it started with Lady Miss Kier and the whole "Space Channel 5" thing years ago. She lost that case and the appeal... badly, and since then it seems to have been open season on any singer or musician that catches the fancy of the game industry. They seem especially fond of going after those bordering on "yesterday's news", with rare exception. Truthfully Gwen Stefani is the biggest one to get into it with the game industry seriously, but I think that kind of demonstrated a complete lack of fear on the part of the industry when it comes to this kind of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Miss_Kier

Basically whether they sign you or not, the game industry does what it pleases, and apparently the court system backs them up.

I suspect the tide might change though, when the whole Lady Miss Kier thing went down she was hardly positively received by anyone observing the case on either the game or music side of the fence. The response with Gwen Stefani was mixed but she definatly had her supporters. Even this this entertainer isn't well liked in these circles... well I think it's getting to the point where people are just starting to realize that the gaming industry is being a group of jerks.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
Woah, woah, hold on a second.

Cleetus has a last name?

OT: If he signed a contract that said they could do this, then he has no reason to complain. He should have seen it coming.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
It doesn't sound like something to get upset about. But it's Activision so I don't give a fuck.