Rumor: Team Bondi Merging With Happy Feet 2 Studio

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rumor: Team Bondi Merging With Happy Feet 2 Studio

George Miller's movie company might pick up the L.A. Noire developer because of how its leader addresses deadlines.

Team Bondi's had a rough go of things lately, between the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111340-IGDA-Investigating-L-A-Noire-Dev>accusations of terrible work conditions and the news that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111445-Report-Rockstar-Saved-LA-Noire-Wont-Work-With-Team-Bondi-Again>Rockstar had no desire to actually work with the studio ever again. As a result, a couple of new rumors have started floating around the Web, claiming that the developer is facing bankruptcy and is possibly going to be acquired Kennedy-Miller Mitchell Films, the movie production company currently working on Happy Feet 2.

The Neogaf forums is filled with posts claiming that the company is filling out the preliminary paperwork for bankruptcy procedures. That said, requests for a statement from a Team Bondi spokesperson has yet to appear, so this is pretty unsubstantiated.

Meanwhile, sources from within Dr D Studios (a subsidiary of KMM) recently spoke to Kotaku about the possible acquisition:

"The word is going round that Team Bondi is being folded into Kennedy-Miller Mitchell Films studios.

"Brendan McNamara was seen walking through the buildings of Dr. D yesterday, where Happy Feet 2 is being made."

"Because Dr. D is filled with former Team Bondi employees who left due to the abusive work conditions. This unexpected visit was quite... unsettling - to put it mildly."

Rumor also has it that George Miller himself was impressed with McNamara's "attitude to deadlines" (read: slave-driving techniques) because his company is running behind schedule on Happy Feet 2. If KMM ends up acquiring Team Bondi and brings in McNamara to run a division, how long do you think it'll be before the man's tactics end up making headlines again?

Source: Kotaku and <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=439822>Neogaf

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I hate how I like LA Noire, knowing that the conditions were probably shittier than shit for the developers and not all of them were even credited.

I also feel bad knowing there is a Happy Feet 2, an unnecessary sequel to a great movie. So overall, bad working conditions maybe implemented by a man, who allegedly ran his workers like a slave to meet the oft delayed deadline, for a movie that shouldn't exist. My god, this news post is depressing.

Calumon: Maybe you can dance to make you feel better?

Jack: No, then all the fish will be scared away by my devilish feet.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Wow, that's a contrast in work projects. The grittiness of LA Noire to the child friendliness of Happy Feet 2.

Poor Team Bondi.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
In a sane world McNamara's record wouldn't be opening doors, it'd be slamming them in his face. Between this and Bill Roper's inexplicable ability to keep finding work I wonder just how detached from reality video game/movie execs actually are.

Also, George Miller needs to stop fucking around with CGI penguins and get on with Fury Road.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Random thought #47:

Wait a second... why is the Elder working on video games? isn't he supposed to be dead/in the Mojave?

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
So does this mean we'll get CGI penguins with realistic faces???!!!!

OT: This is just too weird. Just goes to show what kind of labor a company would put in to produce what will, imo, be a rubbish kids movie.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
This is a rumor eh?

I don't have evidence so...

I choose doubt!

OT: If this is confirmed, I will laugh. The CGI penguins will be perfect

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i got another idea for whoever wants that guy: once we can clone people from genetic material clone Himmler, that guy knew how to organize slave labor.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
vansau said:
If KMM ends up acquiring Team Bondi and brings in McNamara to run a division, how long do you think it'll be before the man's tactics end up making headlines again?
As soon as he gets brought in, probably. From the sound of how he did things for LA Noire, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people quit on the spot.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
wait wait wait. didn't i see a news post awhile back saying that prior to a massive intervention by Rockstar, LA Noire was sinking fast and probably wouldn't have made it. If that's true, what happens to HF2 when this clown runs all his people off and there's no one to ride in and save him?

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
WAit.....wat? I don-...i mean....wait wat? I dont understand. I see the pieces, but don't seem to fit....at all....not even close....at all! Gritty game developers goin into children film? The hell is wrong with this picture?!!?!? WAT WILL HAPPEN TO FUTURE LA NOIRE STUFF?!?!?! *denial*

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Team Bondi haven't done anything wrong, and they won't until someone proves it.

InsomniJack

Dec 4, 2009
War Penguin said:
Wow, that's a contrast in work projects. The grittiness of LA Noire to the child friendliness of Happy Feet 2.

Poor Team Bondi.
Coming Summer of 2012:

Happy Feet 2: The Black Dahlia Blues

Tell your friends.

OT: Well, I see it being as a mixed blessing. They'll survive, except they'll be making penguins that act like they're from the early 50s. And misogynistic.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
42 said:
Yeah, course... all those lying programmers making things up just for the sake of it... Also, Rockstar also lying... must be a publicity stunt for them or something. Team Bondi are completely innocent I tell you!!.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Sovvolf said:
42 said:
Yeah, course... all those lying programmers making things up just for the sake of it... Also, Rockstar also lying... must be a publicity stunt for them or something. Team Bondi are completely innocent I tell you!!.
No, i'm not saying they are lying. I'm saying I'm not buying any of the rumours until someone comes out with proof. thats the problem with anonymous people speaking out against their own company. if they really wanted to make headway and get compensation for it they would've gone public. i'm not saying that i don't believe that it didn't happen, i'm just not taking it at face value.

Plus i don't want to see another dev from Australia go under (pardon the pun)

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
42 said:
Sovvolf said:
42 said:
No, i'm not saying they are lying. I'm saying I'm not buying any of the rumours until someone comes out with proof. thats the problem with anonymous people speaking out against their own company. if they really wanted to make headway and get compensation for it they would've gone public. i'm not saying that i don't believe that it didn't happen, i'm just not taking it at face value.

Plus i don't want to see another dev from Australia go under (pardon the pun)
I think there's been plenty of proof of it. I'm pretty sure the fellow himself as stated that people were working some pretty horrendous hours during crunch time. The verdict isn't out on whether or not he did it... He did. Whats at question is whether or not it was legal.

Look one or two devs coming out and saying something? that's shifty, when the majority of them come out and say something, then a full company says they no longer want anything to do with them because of it... It looks less like one or two angry devs making stuff up or exaggerating out of spite.

You know, having a little patriotism and not wanting to see one of the few companies in your country go down (whether or not that's true is shakey, I'm pretty sure theres plenty of big time Aussies dev companies... Naughtydog maybe?) is admiral and I can understand that but honestly its hard to defend Bondi on their actions. They screwed up royally.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Well I'm sure those former Team Bondi employees (read: refugees) were just THRILLED that McNamara showed up and might be their boss again.

It's terrible that Dr. D is considering using his tactics to finish a *children's* movie too. Kinda sick when you think about it.