North Korea's "Hacker Army" Turns its Sights to MMOs

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
North Korea's "Hacker Army" Turns its Sights to MMOs

South Korea has accused its northern neighbors of using a "hacker army" to attack popular MMOs.

South Korean police have arrested five individuals they believe were responsible for organizing a thirty strong hacking squad that breached the security of popular (in South Korea) online games Lineage and Dungeon and Fighter. The two games enforce limited playtime per day, a feature the hackers quickly disabled allowing them to set up bots that played the game around the clock. Once their robot minions had acquired enough virtual loot the group's organizers would sell items and virtual currency to human players via trading websites, making a cool $6 million in two years.

It all sounds fairly harmless so far right? Or at least, as harmless as any other illegal gold farming operation. But here's where it gets murky. According to Chung Kil-hwan, a senior officer with South Korea's International Crime Investigation Unit, the hackers were all graduates of North Korea's elite science universities and were dispatched from two locations: the state-owned Korea Computer Center and the Korea Neungnado General Trading Company. The latter, at least according to South Korea, reports to Office 39, a shady little agency that apparently gathers foreign hard currency via drug trafficking, counterfeiting and arms sales. Both South Korean and American officials believe that Kim Jong-il is using this money to fund his nuclear weapons program as well as smuggle luxury goods into North Korea in defiance of United Nations trading sanctions.

This isn't the first time South Korea has accused North Korea of untoward behavior in the virtual realm. Back in 2009 North Korea was accused of spreading malware that crippled the websites of various South Korean government agencies. It was also blamed for a similar attack this may, which brought down a South Korean bank's network.

Really, this just one more reason not to give gold/item sellers your business. Not only are you cheating and breaking the game's terms of service, you might also be helping build Kim Jong-il's army of nuclear death robots. I'm just saying.

Source: The New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/world/asia/05korea.html?scp=1&sq=hackers%20north%20korea&st=cse]

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Would the south Koreans really blame anyone else? Not that im siding with the north, but I cant imagine them even considering it could be others.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Come my brothers! The only way to destroy the decadent imperialists and reunite Korea under the Glorious Leader is to fuck with their online accounts!

"Not only are you cheating and breaking the game's terms of service, you might also be helping build Kim Jong-il's army of nuclear death robots."

That made my day!

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Because it's unthinkable that it could be a country other than North Korea. Such as one with a tendency for gold-farming [http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam]. Not possible. Why are you looking at me like that?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Wonder what china is doing that this is going on, china supports nk usually when nk is doing something like this it is misdirection :p.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Not only are you cheating and breaking the game's terms of service, you might also be helping build Kim Jong-il's army of nuclear death robots.
That needs to be in the terms of service of the game; just so we can see the look on some lawyer's face when he goes, "Zuh?"

OT: Who knows? Nobody seems to know these days if North Korea will collapse or invade the United States in the future. So, guess stopping these guys would make for a good step towards the former, methinks...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I remember when some guys in Eve online did something similar, you know what happened? The Admins Hunted them down, killed them and took their stuff.

I hope these ass holes get a similar treatment, hell you could make a guild of Communist hunters or something.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
The Plunk said:
"Remember kids, when you buy virtual gold, you're funding terrorism!"

How long till we start seeing PSAs along those lines?
I'm not sure but dammit we need them fast!

And now, because I'm very mean:

zerotkatama

Oct 20, 2010
SgtFoley said:
Grey Carter said:
Really, this just one more reason not to give gold/item sellers your business. Not only are you cheating and breaking the game's terms of service, you might also be helping build Kim Jong-il's army of nuclear death robots. I'm just saying.
Wait isnt helping to build an army of nuclear death robots an incentive to buy gold/items?
Not if said robots are going to be coming after me anytime soon.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Hmmm.
I'm going to say the same thing I always say when some militarized nation is pissing off the global theater.

Glass their country, Covenant style, look at the other terrorist nations, point to it and say "You're next if you don't cut it out!"

Problem solved.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
SgtFoley said:
Dragunai said:
Hmmm.
I'm going to say the same thing I always say when some militarized nation is pissing off the global theater.

Glass their country, Covenant style, look at the other terrorist nations, point to it and say "You're next if you don't cut it out!"

Problem solved.
Its kind of hard to due that when they can in return say eat nukes bitches. Or preferably eat giant nuclear robots of doom.
Snukes ftw ^^

Smuggle them in, detonate and win haha

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Grey Carter said:
Yeah. At least in Diablo 3 Blizzard is getting a cut of the profits as well.

Maybe this is the new age of terrorism where people hack your games. You know when a Deathclaw seemingly appears out of nowhere after a tough Vault crawl? Hackers.

I'd also like to thank Team America: World Police for these images of Kim Jong-il that the press always bring out when something happens in NK.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
A country which has an MMO police, is as scary as a country which organizes an MMO "strong hacking squad". That's all I can say.

P.S. Feel free to replace "scary" with whatever you like.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
It's a massive dilemma.

On the one hand I want to see what an army of nuclear robots would look like.

On the other I don't want to see what it looks like 30 seconds before my death.

Why can't someone make an army of rabbit petting robots. We'd still get to see a robot army but without the added doom.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Dragunai said:
Hmmm.

Problem solved.
You realise that not every North Korean is evil, right? I'd say at least 99% of their population are perfectly nice people, simply fighting to get by [http://www.wupia.com/2010/12/starving-girl-looking-for-grass-to-eat-died-in-north-korea/] under their tyrannical government.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I'm sorry but if North Korea launches a nuke and the history books forever say that it was funded in part by something like gold farming, I'm going to laugh at it forever. I'll be an 80 year old man talking to my kids about where I was when Korea launched the nuke and will start busting out laughing at gold farmers.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
GLo Jones said:
Dragunai said:
Hmmm.

Problem solved.
You realise that not every North Korean is evil, right? I'd say at least 99% of their population are perfectly nice people, simply fighting to get by [http://www.wupia.com/2010/12/starving-girl-looking-for-grass-to-eat-died-in-north-korea/] under their tyrannical government.
I was completely unaware of that story.
Makes me wonder why the Allied Nations doesn't declare war on N. Korea to remove Kim Jong from power.
They did it to Saddam for the same reasons and just "Happened" to find oil in his country.

What a coincidence.

I really hate the suffering of innocents, specially people in that girls position.