Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Woman Goes Into Labor at QuakeCon, Chooses Skyrim Demo Over Hospital

A pregnant woman has shown what being a hardcore Skyrim fan really means.

A woman was so excited by the demo of the latest Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HYK956/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d4_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1QH1HDCDQVBS38RVZ2AD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] at this year's QuakeCon, that when she went into labor, she stayed to finish watching it before allowing herself to be taken to the hospital.

The new mother, Stevi, and her fiancé Chaz, said that there weren't going to miss the presentation for anything. "[Stevi] is a trooper," Chaz said, "and loves Skyrim." The pair originally thought that it might be a false labor, so decided to wait and see if the contractions continued, rather than leaving the demo immediately.

Chaz blamed Bethesda's Todd Howard, presumably as a joke, for what happened. "[He] showed off the Frost Dragon," he explained. "This is what started the whole thing, seeing this must have filled Stevi with so much excitement that it sent her into labor." The couple got engaged on the stage at last year's QuakeCon, and planned to get married at this year's convention. They shelved those plans- for obvious reasons - as they welcomed their daughter Atari Lynn into the world

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/08/05/woman-goes-into-labor-during-skyrim-presentation.aspx]

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Well, she got me beat on the skyrim fandom scale.

Wait a sec, Atari?!?!

On second thought, if it didn't have the inherent geekyness that comes with being a name of a gaming company, it might have been a cool name.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
This could be taking an obsession too far...but at least everyone's okay, including the child. Hope she grows up to be a Bethesda fan, otherwise they'll have a hard time explaining their actions.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Why Atari? Being Elder Scrolls fans I would expect them to name her Bethesda, or Beth, or maybe Almalexia.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can tell she'll be an excellent mother.

*4 months later*

"Baby starves to death while mother's playing Skyrim."

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
That kid is going to have the most awesome parents.

"Mum! Can I go out and play!"

"Not until you finished getting your level 15 mage."

"Awwwww."

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I can tell she'll be an exellent mother.

*4 months later*

"Baby starves to death while mother's playing Skyrim."
Pretty much what I expect to happen :D

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
If I was Bethesda, I would be marketing this so hard right now.

Seriously though lady, it's your baby, and you're around your due date. You shouldn't take chances.

fire-exit-man

Standing on the Edge of Reason
Oct 6, 2010
They called their daughter Atari? Atari? Do parents not even think about their children going to school with names like that?

Still, conga rats to them!

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I personally think this woman is an idiot and this should be used as an example of when gaming obsessions go too far, both the "waiting for Skyrim to finish" thing and the child's name.

I hate to think of how potentially neglectful this woman might be to poor little Atari when she personally owns Skyrim.

Fuckin' nerds...

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Bit of an odd choice, but a pretty die-hard fan.

Do i think she's insane?
Yes.
Do i think she should of gone to the hospital?
Yes.

just think of the children!!!
:p

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
It's kay, lil Atari will be playing Skyrim alongside them, instead of being left alone in her cradle. Hopefully.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Please tell me their last name does NOT start with a "Ks"

Well, their daughter should at least be grateful they didn't call her Colecovision

Sizzle Montyjing said:
Bit of an odd choice, but a pretty die-hard fan.

Do i think she's insane?
Yes.
Do i think she should of gone to the hospital?
Yes.

just think of the children!!!
:p
well, she's only got the 1, unless they're planning on having more... Oh God, they might have a Colecovision...

Coranico

Jul 28, 2009
Well there goes a missed opportunity to call a child who began birth at Quakecon Dovakhiin... Well there's always next year...

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
They named their kid Atari? Jesus Christ on an applestick...

Having experienced labor, I can say that there's a chance this lady isn't quite as crazy as she sounds. Some women's contractions kick in DAYS before they actually go to the hospital to deliver...Very few women actually start having contractions at the rate necessary to head to the hospital.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Doom972 said:
Why Atari? Being Elder Scrolls fans I would expect them to name her Bethesda, or Beth, or maybe Almalexia.
That beats all xD It'd be a great day when the kid asks "Is there a reason I'm called Beth" and they say "Yes because when Bethesda showed us a dragon, Mommy got excited and induced labor by accident"