Review: Cogs

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
DAMN those grafixs look great, looks like the're on another planet now fighten them locust' and this time you're not Pheonix!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Reviews queue getting a little backlogged? I got this one on Steam ages ago. Still, a really good game, and I agree about Time Challenge. There's one in particular that no matter how quickly or perfectly I get through it, I'm always just one second off from being able to make those last couple clicks to finish it out. Time Challenge is basically for OCD freaks like me who feel the need to complete a game 100%.

Also, some of the puzzles are just plain evil. There's literally no other way to describe them.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Reviews queue getting a little backlogged? I got this one on Steam ages ago. Still, a really good game, and I agree about Time Challenge. There's one in particular that no matter how quickly or perfectly I get through it, I'm always just one second off from being able to make those last couple clicks to finish it out. Time Challenge is basically for OCD freaks like me who feel the need to complete a game 100%.

Also, some of the puzzles are just plain evil. There's literally no other way to describe them.
We figured this one was under the radar enough that no one would mind if it was a little late. But then you came along. *shakes fist*

nevernow

Jun 25, 2009
Are you implying that a device that costs more than a PS3 and is basically a phone is the best place for small, cheap bite-size-gameplay games? I think the PC is one of their natural homes, and the DS would be the other one.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
nevernow said:
Are you implying that a device that costs more than a PS3 and is basically a phone is the best place for small, cheap bite-size-gameplay games? I think the PC is one of their natural homes, and the DS would be the other one.
My iPhone didn't cost me more than a PS3, in fact, I could have gotten it for free if I'd wanted.

TheDoomThing

Jun 24, 2009
This looks like one of those puzzle games that endlessly compel me to finish them, but my skills are far too caveman-esque to actually do it usually without a walkthrough. I can finish puzzle games, but it takes me a while. A grossly long while. It's kinda like scraping dog poo off the bottom of a boot--somewhat boring, but oddly contenting.

RavingPenguin

Engaged to PaintyFace
Jan 20, 2009
That may be interesting enough for me to get a steam account. It also looks like something my laptop will run, it hates games though.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Either I have deja-vu to such a severity that I recall that video supplement word for word, or I've seen it in its entirely on this site before!

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:

We figured this one was under the radar enough that no one would mind if it was a little late. But then you came along. *shakes fist*
Somebody's gotta keep you guys on your toes. ;D

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
I really like puzzle games but i've never been very good at the pannel sliding varaiaty.
Likewise. I enjoy both Pipe Dream-esque games and Incredible Machine-like games, but hate slide puzzles with a firey passion.

So... can you pick and choose? Is one style favoured over the others? Or are they pretty evenly spread out?

nevernow

Jun 25, 2009
nilcypher said:
nevernow said:
My iPhone didn't cost me more than a PS3, in fact, I could have gotten it for free if I'd wanted.
In my country, the cheapest iPhone on the Apple store (no subscriptions attached, you simply buy the device like you would buy a TV, this is the most common mobile business model here) costs 499?, or 703$. A PS3 usually costs 369?, or 520$. And having to pay an expensive subscription (like 50/60 ?/$) to get an iPhone for free or for a cheap price doesn't sound like an optimal solution to me.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
nevernow said:
nilcypher said:
nevernow said:
In my country, the cheapest iPhone on the Apple store (no subscriptions attached, you simply buy the device like you would buy a TV, this is the most common mobile business model here) costs 499?, or 703$. A PS3 usually costs 369?, or 520$. And having to pay an expensive subscription (like 50/60 ?/$) to get an iPhone for free or for a cheap price doesn't sound like an optimal solution to me.
Buying an iPhone solely for gaming isn't going to be a great purchase, but the point that Jordan was making is that the game feels like something designed to be played on the move still stands. An iPhone is one place it would fit, and by the look of it, you're right about the DS as well.