Japanese Scientists Unveil Thinking, Learning Robot

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Japanese Scientists Unveil Thinking, Learning Robot

In an effort to remove the one advantage mankind has over our mechanical underlings, Japanese researchers have created a robot capable of human-like problem solving.

Created by the Tokyo Institute of Technology's Hasegawa Group, the 'bot uses a Self-Organizing Incremental Neural Network (SOINN) to learn from its past experiences. It can then apply this accumulated "knowledge" to future occurences, and work out the best way to approach problems or react to external stimuli.

If that sounds familiar, it's because that's exactly how human memory and cognition works.

The YouTube clip at right shows the 'bot in action as its creators put it through a test of its abilities. DigInfo TV explains:

In this experiment the robot will solve a problem by deciding what actions it should take and in what order. The robot will be told to pour a glass of water, make it cold, and give it to a person. The robot will decide how to do this while being aware of its surroundings and its own situation.

If the robot is told that cold water is wanted, it recognizes that after pouring the water, it can't pick up ice straight away, because it's hands are already full with the glass and the bottle. So it chooses to put the bottle down, and then put the ice into the glass.

As well as the robot's sensory information, in the form of visual, auditory, and tactile data, SOINN obtains information from other sources, including the Internet and other robots' experiences and knowledge. In this way, it gradually becomes smarter.

Even with the handy explanation above, I highly recommend you watch that clip. There's something incredibly eerie to watching a construct explore its nascent understanding of the world around it, even before you dip into alarmist predictions of the impending robot uprising.

Though leaping into that cliché would be the obvious route for this article, I will instead point out the myriad opportunities this technology presents. Or, at least I would, if I thought any of you had a few hundred days to read through all of that. This is the kind of tech that fuels Philip K. Dick stories, and we're witnessing its birth in real-time.

Savor the feeling, ladies and gentlemen. You'll need that innate hope when the metal ones come for you.

Source: DigInfo TV [http://www.diginfo.tv/2011/08/01/11-0158-r-en.php]

FallenPrism

Jan 7, 2009
Finally my wise and future-thinking investment in building an EMP-armed bunker below my apartment will pay off! I'll just go triple-check my inventory of bottled water and emergency rations.

Sep 14, 2009
IamQ said:
Ah, skynet, you're here. Take a seat.

what? that's not that amazi-ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL.

OT: this is pretty cool, can't wait until things like this can be applied in real world situations

"ROBOT! ***** make me a drink!"

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Please let cybernetics become common before the war with the Machines. I really don't feel like fighting for the fleshbags.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
Atleast they didn't make it look like those creepy human-robot things :O
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.244175-Creepy-Japanese-Robot-Can-Really-Dance?page=1

Also wtf captcha

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
It gets information from the Internet huh? So it is going to start trolling people and starting flame wars?

It also might become addicted to My Little Pony.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Oh lord.. what are we doing..

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
This is pretty cool. A machine that can dynamically adapt to its environment is actually incredibly useful, I somehow doubt that this will lead to any sort of technological singularity or some other form of robot apocalypse. Learning how to interact with your environment is a far cry from sentience, much less sapience.
EverythingIncredible said:
"SOINN obtains information from other sources including the internet as well as other robot's experiences and knowledge. In this way, it gradually becomes smarter."

Yep. That's not a recipe for disaster.

I can imagine it now.

"What is fairness?"
Fairness is a quality in which multiple groups are treated the same. It's not really a difficult concept, even for a computer. Even if it means inflicting harm, as long as you inflict the same harm on everyone, you're being "fair". Actually, a computer is by definition impartial unless programmed to be otherwise. As long as it knows to treat everything the same way, it would be considered fair. It becomes a matter of Copy->Pasting your actions on everyone involved in whatever action needs to be adjudicated for "fairness".

Teaching it to be unfair would almost be harder. You would have to teach the rules of particular construct and then explain to it why it would want to cheat, given that one can't logically succeed outside the rules of a given construct. Once the rules are broken, the parameters of the construct no longer apply and thus, the attempt has failed by default. Why would a computer, who has chosen to perform a specific task "sabotage" itself in such a way?

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
Now all they have to do is attach the weird mouth thing onto it to go with the voice.

Also, does anyone else find it kind of scary that the bots can tell each other how to do tasks from around the world?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Useful, and amazing, but people ought to remind themselves that it is not self-aware, and that self-awareness is impossible with an Artificial intelligence.

May 29, 2011
...I'm sorry but this is in no way new or even amazing. Not by a long shot.

An american team designed a robot that learned to walk, avoid holes in the ground, move around with one leg removed by itself years ago. And it looks like a three legged spider.

Read cracked, be aware of crazy shit.

busters

Aug 5, 2011
"SOINN obtains information from other sources including the internet as well as other robot's experiences and knowledge. In this way, it gradually becomes smarter."

That's scary as hell. It also seems like a crazy plotline for something. Robots that can literally give their life experiences to other robots, so they can learn from it. Replace the word "robots" with "humans" and you've got some crazy ass cyberpunk stuff going on.

Although it also reminds me of that annoying video game AI, where once one guy finds your position, everyone else automatically knows.