Summer School

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Summer School

Everything you think you know about movies could very well be wrong. Don't worry though, you're not alone.

Read Full Article

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm still a little skeptical on The Avengers, if only because I'm one of those people who held out hope for Spider-Man, Daredevil, and almost everything else they laid out in front of us. Every time something comic-related looks awesome, part of me goes "yeah, but...."

I'm still hoping, though

Also, not entirely sure Ryan Reynolds was the problem with those movies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure he's a DRAW either, but let's face it, the GL trailers were openly laughed at in theaters.

Finally, Yay to R rated comedies, provided they don't go the slasher route of raunch for raunch's sake. That just annoys me.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
Wow... Bob, if you don't start hitting the pavement and backing up your opinions with other critics, ESPECIALLY with reflective topics like this, I may have to get my movie culture opinions from someone else. I'm starting to find Ebert's blog reeeeeally interesting about now.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Am I the only one slightly disappointed this wasn't a review of this movie?

Nope. I loved that movie. Especially the horror movie scene.

And I had huge crushes on Courtney Thorne-Smith and Fabiana Udenio.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Short Circuit? Really? Well, okay, I'll accept and eagerly await the film if (and only if) they cast a better actor than Steve Gutenberg. They'd better not fuck up Johnny 5 though, or somebody's gonna get a hurt real bad [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VopC0g5UViM].

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
The Gentleman said:
Can Michael Bay and 3D still be on their way out?
Dear god, I hope so. I really hope Michael Bay somehow has a freak accident that leaves him crippled, paralyzed, braindead or otherwise unable to direct another movie. And that all his screenwriters never get any work ever again for the rest of their lives. Hacks, the lot of them.
3D I could give a flying shit about. If it's not being used to fling gimmicky debris "into the audience" so everyone can say "Omg it's coming right for us!" it's a waste of time.

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
I understand that one can't really site private discussion, but if your going to do something like this try to find some sort of source.

I know some of these were preconceptions but others seem like your just coming up with a wrong point after you have the correct counter-point.

"1+1=2! This is an exciting development, there was serious doubt that 1s could be put together to form a new number, but the proof is in the pudding!" Yet no one asked for pudding, didn't even really consider pudding an option. Did you just make the pudding and then say it was on the menu after you finished?

Kinda how it feels, put in a very very odd way.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
I could go on a big long rant, but I'll just say that popularity doesn't equal quality

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
s_glasgow99 said:
Wow... Bob, if you don't start hitting the pavement and backing up your opinions with other critics, ESPECIALLY with reflective topics like this, I may have to get my movie culture opinions from someone else. I'm starting to find Ebert's blog reeeeeally interesting about now.
So you want Bob to tow the line with other critics? Hell the only reason I listen to him is because he knows his nerd culture. He brings up good points. Especially the Johnny Depp argument. It's sad to see someone who was nominated for an award for the character stick with it through shitty films for the paycheck. I am so looking forward to the Avengers film.

s_glasgow99

Jan 8, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
s_glasgow99 said:
So you want Bob to tow the line with other critics? Hell the only reason I listen to him is because he knows his nerd culture. He brings up good points. Especially the Johnny Depp argument. It's sad to see someone who was nominated for an award for the character stick with it through shitty films for the paycheck. I am so looking forward to the Avengers film.
No, I don't want him to 'tow the line.' Bob's 'Old Logics' are either his own opinions; which contradict his previous thoughts if you've followed him. Or other people's opinions, which he fails to cite sources for. Either way, all he's doing is throwing words around like a Facebook post. I understand that these articles are editorials, and opinions are the meat of any editorial article. But when someone goes to compare the differences in opinions from the past and present, it's always important to cite where you got those old arguments from. Otherwise it simply looks like you're blowing smoke to get your own opinion some defense, as is the case here.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Surprised he didn't mention Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 at all. (Man that's a mouthful) Course it probably would have been like:
Old Logic: Harry Potter will make a lot of money.
New Logic: Harry Potter will make a lot of money.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
So, Bob, what did you think of Bridesmaids? You've mentioned it in passing, but I don't think we've heard you expound in any length.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I was surprised by the number of people that stayed during the credits of Thor and Captain America to watch what came after. Over half the room lost its collective shit for The Avengers teaser.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Am I the only one slightly disappointed this wasn't a review of this movie?

Jethro?

Sorry, but I can't see Mark Harmon anymore without thinking of NCIS >_<

edit... oh yeah, Movie Bob. sorry, can you really be upset that I was distracted by the Gibbs (no homo)

Generally agree with the basic premise of most of your points... but I will counter one. I think "raunchy" comedies that skirt by with a barely PG-13 rating will always generate more revenue than a hard R rating. Just a business fact.

Simply put, I have little faith in a world where transformers (a cheap cash in 3rd installment after 2 crappy previous installments) makes roughly the same box office pull as Harry Potter (a well thought out movie culminating a decades worth of interlaced continuity, leading up to this one big grade finale.) I'm not the biggest Potter fan, by any stretch, but just from an outside perspective, shouldn't Potter have blown away the badly designed bots?