Australia to Pay Massive Premium for Uncharted 3 "Explorer Edition"

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Australia to Pay Massive Premium for Uncharted 3 "Explorer Edition"

Hardcore Australian Uncharted 3 fans are going to need deep pockets or plenty of patience.

Australians tend to get a rough ride when it comes to videogames; if it isn't problems with delays or bans, then it's the perpetual problem of being asked to pay higher prices than the rest of the world. The "Explorer Edition" of Uncharted 3 [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053OOEAA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02YFJP312ZXMMTS0RPEF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] has taken this price disparity to a new level, however, costing more than twice as much as it would in the US.

The Explorer Edition contains a statue of Nathan Drake, a replica belt buckle and ring, as well as codes that allow the player to unlock new online skins, decals and taunts, as well as a cash multiplier that earns in-game cash faster when playing online. In the US, the Explorer Edition will set you back $100 USD, but in Australia it costs $208 AUD, or just a little more than $216 USD.

High prices are one thing - plenty of countries pay more than the US for games - but this is ridiculous. Aside from the wait, the only incentive for Australian gamers not to import the Explorer Edition is the possibility that the downloadable portions of the pack might be region locked, and that's a high price to pay for convenience and some DLC.

Uncharted 3 comes out for PS3 on November 1st.

Source: via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/eb-games-australia-sets-insane-price-for-uncharted-3-ce-208610.phtml?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Destructoid+%28Destructoid%29]

Glamorgan

Seer of Light
Aug 16, 2009
*rage face*

Im sorta used to paying a little more, but $108 more is just damned ridiculous.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
I WAS highly anticipating U3, but then I played the beta, and I thought it was complete shit, so I'll think about it.
OT: Meh, special editions aren't really my thing.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
And this is why i will never move to Australia!
No matter how much you try and make me, i will not grace you with my presence.

But sucks for them i guess.

May 25, 2010
omega_peaches said:
I WAS highly anticipating U3, but then I played the beta, and I thought it was complete shit, so I'll think about it.
It's all about the single-player honestly. Multi in UC2 was alright but nothing special.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
And this is why i will never move to Australia!
No matter how much you try and make me, i will not grace you with my presence.

But sucks for them i guess.
Considering we get paid on average double more than someone in the US, it levels out in the end. In this case I wont be getting it as I haven't even got 1 or 2 nor do I have that much interest in the series.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
omega_peaches said:
It's all about the single-player honestly. Multi in UC2 was alright but nothing special.
Yeah, but even the gameplay just felt meh to me.
Also wtf you got your sprinting in my Uncharted.
I hope the SP is different then the MP.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Alternatively: rip-off edition of game that people always masturbate and complain over simultaneously is more of a rip-off in some places than others.

Typical process of collector's editions:

- People say, "oh cool, it has shitty item X that comes with it"
- People say, "what the fuck, this thing is soooo expensive!"
- People buy the bloody thing anyway
- People moan about how much item X was a waste of money because its a cheap piece-o-shit

If people weren't so willing to sell their souls over a bloody papier maché figurine or whatever they put inside, then the prices wouldn't be costing you double of what it costs to buy the actual game, which is the thing you're actually buying it for in the first place.

weaselblower

Aug 4, 2009
It sux for the aussies. A game that costs $60 in the U.S costs $100 Australian. Yet buy it online and import it and it works out to around $70 Australian. It can't cost that much more and now this. Wwwwhat!

May 25, 2010
omega_peaches said:
omega_peaches said:
Well, I wouldn't know, I didn't try the beta. I certainly hope you're right. What's this about sprinting?

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
omega_peaches said:
omega_peaches said:
Well, I wouldn't know, I didn't try the beta. I certainly hope you're right. What's this about sprinting?
You didn't try the beta?
It was free download for everybody.
But yeah, sprinting in my Uncharted makes me raegfaec

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Hmm, support local businesses that would overcharge me without a second thought, or buy 5+ games from overseas instead?

This is such a difficult choice that I'm surprised a Morality meter isn't involved.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
omega_peaches said:
I know it was free, I just wasn't in town at the time. There were a few days left when I got back home, but I didn't bother. However, I don't remember seeing any sprinting in the E3 demo.
Oh.
Yeah, there's sprinting.
I downloaded it, played about 10 games, decided it was shit, and went back to Rainbow Six, and after I beat that, I went back to MW2, but since a friend is borrowing that, I'm back to CS 1.6

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Absolutely ridiculous. Any news on the UK/EU price? Are we going to get ripped off as well?

Also as for the DLC. Permitting you make a US account, and redeem the codes on that. The downloaded dlc will work on all your accounts. So in other words, import away!

Zethrax

Jul 11, 2011
I think they can stick their statue of Nathan Drake and the rest of what's in this pack in a place where the sun rarely penetrates to.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I wouldn't have even been able to afford it if it was just normal priced, seeing as I've already up and preordered the Skyrim Collector's Edition, despite barely having the funds for even that. Plus, most of this is just multiplayer crap which I'd never have used anyway, and as much as I actually like Drake, despite what other people might say, I'd never have paid for a stupid statue of him.

Thanks for making the choice extra easy for me, Australia. :D

PS. You suck.