Capcom Consolidates Mega Man's PSP Adventures

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Capcom Consolidates Mega Man's PSP Adventures

This September, Capcom is releasing the Mega Man Dual Pack, a PSP title that includes both Mega Man: Powered Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X.

Initially a GameStop-spawned rumor, the existence of the Dual Pack was recently confirmed by Capcom Senior VP Chris Svensson on the company's site [http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/28099823/Mega_Man_Dual_Pack&post_num=5#504294011]. The game will hit shelves on September 5 and sports a $15 price tag.

The two games included in the Dual Pack, Mega Man: Powered Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X, are massively enhanced remakes of the original Mega Man and Mega Man X, respectively.

Now normally we wouldn't go to the trouble of highlighting every reissue that Capcom brings to market, but in this case we feel a strong moral obligation to highlight the Dual Pack. First, because the title is so cheap, and second, because this gives you PSP owners a second chance to support Mega Man: Powered Up.

The game may have been a modest success when it was originally released in 2006, but given the care and clever design nuances that Capcom pumped into it, Powered Up deserves far more. Five years ago, on a handheld no less, Capcom was giving players the opportunity to create and share levels over the Internet! For free!

That's not even getting into the actual gameplay. The original Mega Man is a brilliant, frustratingly hard example of NES-era platforming, and Powered Up both retains this taxing design (in the game's original mode) and improves on it (in the game's remixed levels). Likewise, the graphics and sound have been given upgrades (again, entirely optional) that take elements of the game's original aesthetics and aural design and merge them with modern Capcom sensibilities and now-generation gaming tech.

Add to that roughly a thousand unlockable extras and you have a game that really deserves more of your love (and all important consumer money). When the Mega Man Dual Pack arrives in a few weeks, I hope you'll remember what I've said here. You PSP owners have already let Capcom down once. You don't want to do it again, do you?

Source: Mega Man Network [http://www.themmnetwork.com/2011/08/11/mega-man-double-pack-on-its-way-to-playstation-portable/]

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Wait a minute- Capcom is releasing a Mega Man game? Even if it's just a compilation, they've actually taken the blue bomber out of his cryo tube for a bit? After cancelling Mega Man Universe and Mega Man Legends 3? Excuse me while I eat my hat.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I can see this as good news or bad news for Mega Man fans. The good news is that people who didn't play these games can play both of them for the price of one. The bad news is that people are still mad about the lack of new Mega Man games and not seeing any version of Mega Man in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
And you still won't release the megaman legend collection on psp over seas will ya?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/928758-mega-man-legends
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/928847-rockman-dash-2

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
WHARGARBBLE!

I've played those games already! Where's Legends 3! WHERE'S LEGENDS 3!?

*breaks down sobbing*

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
"Capcom tries to rekindle fans love by releasing some launch PSP games."

I already have these Capcom, I am not impressed and as a bigger screw you I got them preowned.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
D0WNT0WN said:
"Capcom tries to rekindle fans love by releasing some launch PSP games."

I already have these Capcom, I am not impressed and as a bigger screw you I got them preowned.
I couldn't even bring my self to buy The X remake used cause it was sooo stupid. The level editor from Powered up 2 was awesome and with universe going tio have the same thing was a day one buy for me. Now they got rid of that.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
You PSP owners have already let Capcom down once. You don't want to do it again, do you?
Excuse me, but no. It is Capcom who let us down. They were supposed to put Powered Up on the Playstation Store about 2 years ago, but then they decided not to and came up with some half-assed excused about it not working properly (which is why the Japanese Playstation Store gets the game, because it doesn't work if not on a UMD right?). I already bought Powered Up brand new when it first game out for my original PSP. I would have bought it again for PSP Go if they had kept their word and released the damn game, but they didn't. Now this is too little too late. I'm not buying a 3rd PSP just to play one game again, and it doesn't even remotely make up for all the screwing they've done to their fans recently.

Capcom can kiss my ass, this is a pathetic gesture. Give us the game on the Playstation Store like you promised 2 years ago so it will work on PSP Go for those who still have one (I got rid of mine, nothing to play) and Vita.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Unfortunately, I already own Maverick Hunter X and Powered Up. I would have loved to get them in a cheap combo-pack.

I was probably one of the few people who genuinely enjoyed Powered Up, despite the fact that they changed his name from "Rock" to "Mega" for some asinine reason. Giving you the ability to play as the bosses more than made up for that, though.

Still, it gave us another shining example of Capcom's legendary scriptwriting:

"Listen Mega... No... rather... Mega Man! Yes that's it! From this moment on, you shall be Mega Man!" - 6:16

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I believe most of the trouble stems from Capcom's cutting back on Nintendo titles.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I have both those games. between this and the daxter clank combo pack I'm going to be able to fit so much more room in my psp library. Still though one guy is right. Megaman legends did come out for the psp. They should have released that.