Japan & US Getting Totally Different Metal Gear Solid HD Collections

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Japan & US Getting Totally Different Metal Gear Solid HD Collections

If you live in the United States and were hoping to play the original Metal Gear Solid with the new HD collection, it ain't gonna happen. Sorry.

Hideo Kojima's upcoming <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110334-Rumor-Metal-Gear-Solid-Peace-Walker-Remaster-Infiltrating-PS3>Metal Gear Solid HD re-release has generated a ton of excitement on the Web, even though not too much has been revealed. Well, the good news is that Kojima himself has unveiled some new information, but the bad news is that all of us who're stuck in "overseas" territories won't get the first Metal Gear Solid included in the package.

Kojima recently took to Twitter, explaining that Japan and everywhere else are getting two very different versions of the collection. In his home country, the package will include the core games of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 - both of which feature 1080p graphic remastering and play at 60 FPS - and gamers will get a download code for the first Metal Gear Solid.

The United States, however, which Kojima labeled as "overseas", will instead feature an upgraded version of the PSP game Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker. Also, both versions of the collection will receive the original 8-bit Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, as both titles originally shipped with Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance.

Kojima also tweeted images of the PS3 Trophy icons that will be available <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Gear-Solid-Collection-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SX97I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313471618&sr=8-1>when the game ships in November.

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/#!/hideo_kojima_en>@hideo_kojima_en

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Honestly, since I don't own a PSP, I'm happy to be getting Peace Walker, I can download the original MGS easy.

EDIT: I would like to emphasize that by this, I mean buy it off PSN...not pirate it, relax.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
The lack of MGS1 is a little disappointing, but like Jin up there I've yet to play Peace Walker. That'll suffice well I suppose.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
I just wish that MGS3 was Subsistence.. That version is so much better IMO (due to the 3rd person)

vansau said:
Also, both versions of the collection will receive the original 8-bit Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, as both titles originally shipped with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
No, they shipped with MGS3 Subsistence, on a seperate disk. MGS3 Snake Eater was just MGS3

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
SilverJin02 said:
Honestly, since I don't own a PSP, I'm happy to be getting Peace Walker, I can download the original MGS easy.

EDIT: I would like to emphasize that by this, I mean buy it off PSN...not pirate it, relax.
This. Already played MGS1, unlocked a bunch of stuff, it was great. Never got to play peacewalker.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
sounds awesome heck not owning a psp either and having played mgs1 3 or 4 times on ps1 and whatnot, peace walker is fine by me. guess it would have been better if you could have chosen if you had a psp and pw, wonder how good it will look.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
It would extra radtastic if they make it so you can transfer your PW saves to the PS3 version. I would love them forever.

Sep 30, 2010
I have something like 90 hrs logged on Peace Walker and I'm buying this collection. I'll probably log another 90 hrs at least (much more if it has online multiplayer which it had better). I'm not heart broken over not getting the first one, although it could just be that I played and loved The Twin Snakes so many times and couldn't imagine it without first person.

Sep 30, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
It would extra radtastic if they make it so you can transfer your PW saves to the PS3 version. I would love them forever.
You can. They're introducing the stupidly named "Transfarring" to do it. No love for us on the Xbox though.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Dr Jones said:
I just wish that MGS3 was Subsistence.. That version is so much better IMO (due to the 3rd person)

vansau said:
Also, both versions of the collection will receive the original 8-bit Metal Gear 1 and Metal Gear 2, as both titles originally shipped with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.
No, they shipped with MGS3 Subsistence, on a seperate disk. MGS3 Snake Eater was just MGS3
Arg! Thanks for letting me know. I can't believe I screwed that up; it's fixed now.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
itsausernamewhatofit said:
Frostbite3789 said:
You can. They're introducing the stupidly named "Transfarring" to do it. No love for us on the Xbox though.
Probably due to that whole PSP being a Sony device thing. You know.

LostNumber

Jul 17, 2009
I just bought MGS1 on PSN a few months ago and don't own Peace Walker, so you won't be hearing any complaints from me =)

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
I realize this is kinda off topic, but to my recollection, the video of Kojima had him holding up a placard with the PS3 AND Xbox box art. So is there an Xbox version too?

(Maybe there'll be a Silent Hill xbox release too * optimistic*)

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
numbersix1979 said:
I realize this is kinda off topic, but to my recollection, the video of Kojima had him holding up a placard with the PS3 AND Xbox box art. So is there an Xbox version too?

(Maybe there'll be a Silent Hill xbox release too * optimistic*)
Yup.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I have MGS1 on disc, so it doesn't affect me much unless the code was for access to an updated HD version. I also have the Gamecube version Twin Snakes so it kinda meets it half way.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
So both sets will have:
MG (8-bit)
MG 2 (8-bit)
MGS 2 (PS2 remake)
MGS 3 (PS2 remake)

Japan will get:
MGS (PS1 download)

overseas will get:
MGS:pW (PSP remake)

Why can't we all just get all 5 instead of making it complicated like that? I understand that the overseas group are getting the better deal (downloadable PS1 game vs remastered PSP game), but still.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
So I have to shell out some money to get MGS1 meh I was going to shell out some money to get MGS Peace walker anyway its win win and I get it on the PS3

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
....So? If I'm not mistaken, MGS1 is still on the PSN store, as well as the PSP version for thirty dollars. The overseas version is the better deal by far.

Sep 30, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
itsausernamewhatofit said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Probably due to that whole PSP being a Sony device thing. You know.
Yeah I understand that, but I still feel the need to complain about it, funny how that works isn't it.