Sony Slashes PS3 Price by $50

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Sony Slashes PS3 Price by $50

Sony cuts the price of the PlayStation 3 by $50 and offers an Infamous 2 bundle.

With titles like Resistance 3, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, and Uncharted 3 due out before the end of 2011, it's a good time to be a PS3 owner. If you haven't already invested in Sony's black behemoth (or its slimmed-down brethren), now might be the right time. As of August 16, 2011, Sony has shaved $50 off of PS3 prices, bringing the 160 GB model down to $249 and the 320 GB model to $299.

"PlayStation 3 is gaining momentum and giving gamers everywhere more of what they want: an unparalleled line-up of exclusive games and access to the best in sports, movies and TV, all at a great value," said Jack Tretton, President and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America. "The new price will make the PS3 more accessible than ever before." Sony representatives revealed the price cut at the Gamescom conference in Germany, and Tretton reposted the information on the official PlayStation blog shortly thereafter.

PS3 neophytes also have the opportunity to pick up the recent Infamous 2 and 30 days of the PlayStation Plus service at no extra cost. A new bundle that includes a 320 GB PS3, the game, and the Plus trial will retail for $299.

Considering that a decent Blu-ray player can retail for $250 on its own, the price cut makes the PS3 a very appealing prospect. Tretton promises that more exciting new PSN content is on the way, so both new and veteran PS3 owners should keep an ear to the ground.

Source: Official PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/08/16/live-from-gamescom-playstation-3-now-249/]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This might be the time to finally retire my good old 60gig: It's getting crowded in there.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
What about those who bought the thing years ago for £400odd? Maybe you should do something like Nintendo Sony?

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
TimeLord said:
What about those who bought the thing years ago for £400odd? Maybe you should do something like Nintendo Sony?
What did they do?

I still have my BC PS3 (upgraded to 250gb) but if that doesn't survive the generation; this price drop is comforting.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I think I might need to buy one now, especially with my brother taking his off to another province.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Make that thing backwards compatible and you got yourself a deal, Sony. Until then....ALL HAIL THE PC MASTER RACE!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
MrGFunk said:
TimeLord said:
What did they do?

I still have my BC PS3 (upgraded to 250gb) but if that doesn't survive the generation; this price drop is comforting.
When Nintendo cut the price of the 3DS, they gave out a load of free games to people who paid full price for it that wouldn't be available to people who bought it cut price.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
This might be the time to finally retire my good old 60gig: It's getting crowded in there.
Better idea: Buy a new, larger HDD for a fraction of the price.

My 60gb requires constant data reorganization, but I wouldn't replace the system. The newer models have fewer bells and whistles.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Casual Shinji said:
Better idea: Buy a new, larger HDD for a fraction of the price.

My 60gb requires constant data reorganization, but I wouldn't replace the system. The newer models have fewer bells and whistles.
I know, but I hardly use the bells and whistles I have now.

Though I might look into replacing the HDD.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
The 60Gb are popular, you can get a bit of money for that.
I recommend getting a new HDD, try the seagate brand.
Far more cheaper, but on the other hand you do get a copy of InFamous 2.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Valagetti said:
Casual Shinji said:
The 60Gb are popular, you can get a bit of money for that.
I recommend getting a new HDD, try the seagate brand.
Far more cheaper, but on the other hand you do get a copy of InFamous 2.
I already got inFamous 2.

I might head on over to Informatique in the morning for an HDD. The thing is, I have a phobia of dealing with technical issues: I can't really keep my head on straight and I panic easily.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
I know, but I hardly use the bells and whistles I have now.

Though I might look into replacing the HDD.
Cheaper if nothing else. Mine serves as my PS2 and intermittent PSX. My comp is sufficient enough to emulate PSX games well, avoiding the disc read and graphic anomalies that the PS3 present.