Mysterious Tweet Hints At Zone Of The Enders 3DS

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mysterious Tweet Hints At Zone Of The Enders 3DS

Hideo Kojima isn't known for his subtlety, so when a mysterious image appeared in his Twitter feed yesterday, many assumed it was a confirmation that a Zone of the Enders sequel is headed for Nintendo's handheld.

The aforementioned image, which you can see at right, features a figurine of the Jehuty Orbital Frame, the robot piloted by the protagonists of the Zone of the Enders games. Behind that pretty bauble however, is a piece of paper emblazoned with a stylized logo that reads "ZOE 3DS."

Kojima's accompanying tweet only serves to further the mystery. "Found this at Omori-kun's desk. What's this?" the designer wrote [http://twitter.com/#!/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/103269075823755264].

The last Zone of the Enders title was 2003's Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. Though Kojima has spent the intervening years focusing almost entirely on the beloved Metal Gear Solid series, he has repeatedly also stated an interest in creating another Zone of the Enders sequel at some nebulous point in the future.

Given that said sequel would technically be Zone of the Enders 3 and that there is already a 3 right in the name of Nintendo's handheld, one could argue for the game's existence based purely on the potential punniness of the title. Any gamer present for the early days of the Nintendo DS is already well aware of Nintendo's fondness for punny titles, so while this seems a tenuous connection, you can't deny the possibility.

That said, we probably won't know anything until Kojima and/or Konami decides to make this thing official. Or, alternately, until Kojima reveals that this entire thing has been a massive troll spawned from boredom and a longing to screw with gaming journalists.

Little does Hideo realize that we get paid either way, and writing about mysterious photographs is way easier than covering actual news. Keep 'em coming Mr. Kojima. You've always got a spotlight here at The Escapist.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/hideo-kojima-tweets-zoe-3ds-logo/]

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I would totally buy a 3DS for ZoE, but I get the feeling that this is a troll and it's actually a Vita title.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
I hope to have another game to play with my 3DS.
So I hope this pans out.
In addition, NOT A REMAKE!? WHOO!

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I love zone of the enders, I pity they join the ranks of sequels of awesome old games, finally making new games, but only on hand helds.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
I don't care if there are hardly any new good IPs on the 3DS, if they keep bringing back the good stuff to the modern age, I'll love it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*Throws up hands in irritation*

Great. I'll never be able to play, because Nintendo can brick a 3DS, even by accident.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
i can't get excited about this since it not for a system i own or will ever own

pheonixcaldwell

Aug 16, 2011
although i feel that it simply says ZOE EOZ the lack of . separating the letters on the second set gives me hope that this is true and not just a lie....i want a new Zone of the Enders so freakin bad..

Demoliboy2

Dec 21, 2009
This is not ZOE EOZ. If you look closely you can see sharp edges on the supposed 2nd "O", making it a D. That said, the lack of "." seperating the letters pretty much confirms ZOE 3DS

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
ZOE ye yes yes but not in the 3ds xbox or ps3 please hell even pc if you can pull it off but handheld games seem to always have that cheep feel like a toy made from bad plastic. i would want to play zoe 3 on a big screen so i can missle spam all over my walls

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
This is either the greatest prank ever or it's the most elaborate tease I've ever seen. Either way, I would be happy seeing as how I never did play any Zone of The Enders game, although it would be nice to see more upcoming 3DS games that don't have chewed meat on them.