Gamigo Developing MMO Based on Tad Williams' Otherland

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gamigo Developing MMO Based on Tad Williams' Otherland

The science fiction series of novels explored various virtual realities and is perfect for offering various MMO settings.

Update: The lengthy announcement trailer for Otherland is pretty breathtaking. It's a little short on gameplay footage but the scenery sure is nice.

[video=3885]

Original post: Two developers from Hamburg, Germany announced at GamesCom today that they have been working on building a free-to-play MMO using the license for a series of science fiction novels by the American writer Tad Williams. In the books, Otherland is the name of a collection of incredibly detailed virtual realities that live on top of the normal "net" accessible by most everyone in the world. Gamigo will publish the game with a free-to-play model while its partner DTP Entertainment are building the retail MMO with the Unreal 3 Engine. After working on Otherland since 2006, they hope to debut the game in 2012 as a flagship property.

"Otherland marks another milestone in Gamigo's history. As an up-and-coming AAA game in the free-to-play market, the game boasts superb graphics, fascinating scenarios and truly innovative gameplay," Gamigo executive Patrick Streppel said.

[gallery=423]

"We are confident that we have found the right partner in gamigo and are really looking forward to working together and to the upcoming year, when players will be able to set foot in the fascinating universe of Tad Williams' novels for the first time," said Frank Brügmann from DTP entertainment.

Sometimes it seems like all of the fictional properties I loved as a kid are being adapted nowadays. First, Williams' fantasy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/gameofthrones] and was intrigued when he shifted focus with Otherland, a story set in the near future where people entered the nets with a physical representation of themselves in a virtual world.

Unlike Neal Stepehnson's Snow Crash, Otherland posited a virtual world that was indistinguishable from real life where those trapped in the system actually died when their avatar did. The characters travel from shard to shard of this uber-reality, from a perverted version of Frank Baum's Oz to a World War I battlefield to a jungle world where humans are dwarfed by insects.

The game sounds like it will have all of these fantastical settings and worlds layered so that you can explore each one while also having an action-oriented MMO experience. So far, Gamigo has discussed a fantasy world called "Eight Squared" that dramatizes the roles of the pieces on a chessboard and a Mars covered with Oriental architecture. Commerce and community will also play a big role as stuff you collect can be spent at the "Lambda Mall" on decking out your own personal virtual space.

In many ways, Williams' Otherland presaged the confluence of the internet and gaming worlds that places like Second Life and PlayStation Home tried to make commonplace. The fact that these experiments have largely become a novelty instead of how we access information on a daily basis has tainted the ideas presented in the books for me. That doesn't mean it's not a great story, I just think about Otherland more as a fantasy rather than something that might actually happen.

The IP certainly has a lot of possibilities, but I'm reserving judgement until I can see it in action. It can often be cooler to read about things like virtual reality and exquisitely crafted worlds, but it is quite another to play a game that just doesn't make good on the promises of its license.

If you're interested in signing up for the Otherland beta, head over to otherland.gamigo.com [http://otherland.gamigo.com/]. (The website appears a little borked right now but I'm sure they will get it up and running soon.)

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
It does look really... intriguing from the lengthy trailer/teaser thing they released, however, im not sure that between all the various virtual worlds within a virtual world (yo dawg!), player content creation and mix of action, pvp and social there will much space left for well, actual gameplay.

In theory in SecondLife you can make any game you wish in theory, but not that many actually bother. I wonder how it will turn out for Otherland, as usually, it can either be amazing outburst of pure genius or complete disaster and mess.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Ah yes, this trailer. Well, now I have to read the book, it sounds pretty cool anyway. As for what they showed in the trailers...eh, I'll give it a shot. Looks pretty interesting, kept my attention, and doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Let's just see how they execute it fully.

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
one of my favorite book series. But are you sure they just announced it? I've been aware of this game for a few months now, from Williams blog and there own web site.

Happy Sock Puppet

Aug 10, 2010
The books were...meh. Lots of action with no real purpose or character development, and the ending went off on some insane tangent. The setting was great, and the characters were really good, but LOTS and LOTS of filler. I could see how a good game could be based off of this setting.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I am sure they will ruin this somehow and try to make it into an MMORPG...

I know that is not the idea, but I cannot see how they won't do something like that.

Also, I did not particularly like the books. I find Tad Williams is a SLOW writer..

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Pure chance I started a thread about game adaptations of novels:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.307343-Book-to-Game-adaptation-Altered-Carbon#12385144

I wonder if these novels would be in fact easier to adapt to video games than to a feature film or even TV Series.

Cahir

Aug 16, 2011
I may just give Otherland a go. I enjoyed the books, and the game looks like it's going to be a pretty interesting experience. Who knows, it might even do the complexity of the books justice.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
" As an up-and-coming AAA game in the free-to-play market"

False. "AAA" means "top notch production values through adequate budgets".

Gamigo are NOT capable of that, IN FACT, they call their rubbish stilted "space" game Black Prophecy AAA, a game with servers currently running on starved hamsters and a game design so flat and flawed that it makes any Korean 5$ game look like best of E3.

I will be surprised if this MMO has any more than 20 hours of non-repeatable content. Black Prophecy sure as hell didn't.
wow much anger there?

lol i like it but is bp that bad? the great EVE killer that awful?

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Metalhandkerchief said:
cerebus23 said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
" As an up-and-coming AAA game in the free-to-play market"

False. "AAA" means "top notch production values through adequate budgets".

Gamigo are NOT capable of that, IN FACT, they call their rubbish stilted "space" game Black Prophecy AAA, a game with servers currently running on starved hamsters and a game design so flat and flawed that it makes any Korean 5$ game look like best of E3.

I will be surprised if this MMO has any more than 20 hours of non-repeatable content. Black Prophecy sure as hell didn't.
wow much anger there?

lol i like it but is bp that bad? the great EVE killer that awful?
Eve killer? Maybe before anyone could play it some people may have been mislead to think that it had potential. But BP is a mission terminal grinder where everything is instanced. There is no "space", only pockets. The only thing they have going for it is combat, which isn't that good. Most of the time it lags so much you're rubberbanding into your enemies, and the inertia and motion of the ship feels all Facebook-gamey.

EDIT: And when I say mission grinder, I really mean GRINDER. To reach level 20 you have probably done each mission type 500 times. And level 20 is just barely enough to scratch the surface of the "level curve".
hehe damn screens always looked nice on that game but never really looked at it, just all the people, and yea was before the game was out i suppose, claiming that eve would suffer because of bp.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
How are you suppose to play this!? What's the point behind eDNA, and am I stuck as those blank slates with blue lines the whole game, except when I extract another things eDNA, because that's dumb. I wanna make my own character not to have it where the skin your wearing is like the end game ePee. I'm not saying it looks bad, though I am currently betrothed to Guild Wars 2 (we're still settling on a date, some time at the end of the year), but it's definitely interesting. Hopefully if this game doesn't feature a subscription system it could make a mint (how much is a mint anyway?) off of micro-transactions off of selling eDNA or backgrounds for your Myland. Now if you excuse me I'm going to my local bookstore and pick up Otherland because Fahrenheit 451 has taught me the importance of books.