Arkham City Bringing 3D Graphics To Non-3D TVs

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Arkham City Bringing 3D Graphics To Non-3D TVs

Even if you only own a regular HDTV, you can still see the Caped Crusader in all his stereoscopic glory.

Even though consumers don't seem to be embracing 3D TVs quite as much as manufacturers would hope, there are plenty of titles being created with the option for 3D gameplay. Case in point: <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JAVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313565373&sr=8-1>Batman: Arkham City will feature 3D support on all systems, and players will be able to enjoy the effect on non-3D television sets.

Arkham City's 360 and PS3 versions will be designed to work with stereoscopic 3D (or compatible) television sets. Additionally, though, "Fans with HDTVs can enjoy Batman: Arkham City in anaglyphic 3D with technology compatible with all high definition TV sets and visible to players wearing 3D glasses available for the video game." Of course, players who want to experience normal graphics without using special glasses will still have that option, too.

The PC version of the game will reportedly include Nvidia 3D Vision tech to support 3D graphics, provided gamers have a display system that will support them. Batman: Arkham City is due out on October 18th, so I'm sure that 3D fans will be relieved to learn they don't have to buy a brand new TV set in order to enjoy such graphics to the fullest. Spoiler alert: I'll be enjoying the game in all it's 2D glory.

Source: Joystiq

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
But the option to avoid playing it in 3D is available, right? It is optional? The way you worded it, it sounds like 3D may be the only setting. In which case I'd be passing on the game.

Supernova2000

Shivan Sympathizer
May 2, 2009
Not bloody interested. Arkham City's success will be in spite of the 3D support, NOT because of it!

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
But the option to avoid playing it in 3D is available, right? It is optional? The way you worded it, it sounds like 3D may be the only setting. In which case I'd be passing on the game.
I'll re-word it then. 2D is still an option.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
vansau said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Thanks. The prospect of being forced to wear a crappy pair of glasses over my other glasses to play it was scaring me. That makes more sense. You just never threw in the clarification that 2D was still available for console players.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
And while we're at it, why we'd want 3D anyway. Arkham City needs Avatar-level 3D for it to add anything to the experience.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
The PC version of the game will reportedly include Nvidia 3D Vision tech to support 3D graphics
Oh let me guess, it's going to be forced installed like the other crapware which only serves to re-install the same shit when the computer already has the current/above versions of the drivers.

One reason why I just love to hate PC gaming.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, anaglyph? The red and blue glasses? The stuff they already tried with the Thor and Green Lantern games that didn't really work? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
When I play an atmospheric, story based game, immersion is me focusing only on the game with my thumbs/fingers being the only minor disconnect between me and the game. When the picture appears to pop out of the screen, it forces my mind to acknowledge the physical screen rather than the world I'm supposed to be immersed in.

... Think of it this way, we all know what a monitor/tv screen looks like as in the shape size etc.. when stereoscopic 3D shows the 'pop up book' effect, it makes us reevaluate our understanding of the screen's form(should be flat, basically) and that slams us back into reality. I wonder if people had a similar experience when film went from black and white to colour(minus the headaches)? Anyway, this issue primarily has to do with familiarity with stereoscopic 3D and this brings me to the punchline about stereoscopic 3D. Once we finally become familiar enough with it to become as immersed in our shows/films/games as we did before, it loses all meaning. Immersion is losing your sense of self as your mind experiences a fictional world, stereoscopic 3D 'invades' your world, so if you're immersed in a stereoscopic 3D world, you're essentially ignoring it.

As for what any of this has to do with Batman, I shouldn't be noticing things that pop out at me if I'm trying to immerse myself in a world as Batman(as seen from a 3rd person view).

Long story short, I'm leaving the immersion breaking stereoscopic 3D setting off... Probably should have just said that....

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
When I play an atmospheric, story based game, immersion is me focusing only on the game with my thumbs/fingers being the only minor disconnect between me and the game. When the picture appears to pop out of the screen, it forces my mind to acknowledge the physical screen rather than the world I'm supposed to be immersed in.

(...)

Long story short, I'm leaving the immersion breaking stereoscopic 3D setting off... Probably should have just said that....
Arkham Asylum was one of the (few) games where 3D actually IMPROVED the immersion, so I'd give it a chance on Arkham City before you just write it off :)

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
vansau said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
But the option to avoid playing it in 3D is available, right? It is optional? The way you worded it, it sounds like 3D may be
the only setting. In which case I'd be passing on the game.
Thanks. The prospect of being forced to wear a crappy pair of glasses over my other glasses to play it was scaring me. That makes more sense. You just never threw in the clarification that 2D was still available for console players.
" Of course, players who want to experience normal graphics without using special glasses will still have that option, too." Looks like its optional to me

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
Steve Lovell said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
vansau said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
But the option to avoid playing it in 3D is available, right? It is optional? The way you worded it, it sounds like 3D may be
" Of course, players who want to experience normal graphics without using special glasses will still have that option, too." Looks like its optional to me
He added that in as clarification because of my first post. :p

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Steve Lovell said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
vansau said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
He added that in as clarification because of my first post. :p
ah ok, only just read it for the first time :)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Anaglyphic? Seriously? Does anybody actually use that in preference? The whole (flawed) premise of 3D is to make the experience more immersive. I can't imagine any way to make a game or movie less immersive than by making everything look reddy blue. No, really, I would actually love to know how many people would willingly use anaglyphic 3D. I'd be willing to bet the number of Arkham City players using anaglyphic would not extend beyond double digits. If it does, everything I thought I know about the world is wrong.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
These guys are bending over backwards to please everyone it would seem, if they manage to do it, it'll be a dark horse for GOTY.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Athinira said:
-Dragmire- said:

(...)

Arkham Asylum was one of the (few) games where 3D actually IMPROVED the immersion, so I'd give it a chance on Arkham City before you just write it off :)
I agree that Arkham Asylum was an extremely immersive game but I found the 3D distracting.

Fanboy

Oct 20, 2008
Cool. More options.

I believe Nvidia cards already have anaglyph as an option for any game that works in 3D, so I don't think it would be that hard a feature to add to the console version of the game.

I think it's a nice way to let people try out 3D gaming. Nothing wrong with that.