Trenched Gets New Name, European Release

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Trenched Gets New Name, European Release

Microsoft has finally caved and will release Trenched in Europe under a new steampunk-y title.

Double Fine and Microsoft <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.300528-Microsoft-and-Double-Fine-Committed-to-Bringing-Trenched-to-Europe>have been having a tough time bringing Trenched to the European market, but this is all about to end. Microsoft and Portugese board game manufacturer Rui Alípio Monteiro have finally reached an accord: Microsoft is going to release the game under a different name.

Microsoft announced the deal at the opening of Gamescom. Up until now, Monteiro owned the trademark to a board game called Trench; said trademark blocked the videogame from being released in major European territories. It seems that simply releasing the game under a new title was the easiest solution, as Trenched is coming to Xbox Live this September under the label of Iron Brigade.

As The Escapist's Logan Westbrook predicted, "If it comes down to it, Microsoft can just change the game's name, but that's almost certainly a last resort that Microsoft will only entertain if and when all other avenues have been exhausted."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to have Mr. Westbrook help me buy lottery tickets.

Source: Giant Bomb

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
That one screenshot alone has just piqued my interested. Quickly Robin! TO THE INTERNET!

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
FINALLY :D All of my pestering Double Fine on twitt- I mean, waiting patiently, has paid off!
Can't wait for it over here. WHOOP

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
And I wonder how the grinding war machine of Microsoft was made to be willing to back down and meekly change the name. It doesn't seem the way this big companies often work.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I knew it. It's going to come out after I go to an xbox live-less uni.

Colour me still p***** off, then.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
wait, how does a board game name Trench hold a trademark against a video game called Trenched? the medias are different and so are the names (though only slightly).

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
At the very least they get a cooler name.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Seems like a stupid reason to delay it, but at least we get it. Double Fine FTW!

Johnny Wishbone

Aug 17, 2011
Having already played the crap out of this game, I can tell you not to get too worked up. It's fun for about a week. Good game, but very short and limited. Doesn't take long to get the patterns down, after which it becomes kinda boring.