South Korean Group Sues Apple for $26 Million Over Invasion of Privacy

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
South Korean Group Sues Apple for $26 Million Over Invasion of Privacy

A South Korean collective is suing Apple for $26 million over "emotional damage" caused by their iPhones secretly tracking location data.

It hasn't been a good week for Apple so far. Fresh from being accused of using their iPhones storing their location data in secret [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112349-Apple-Accused-of-Using-Doctored-Evidence-in-Samsung-Court-Case]. The suit has been filed electronically by Hyung-Suk's law firm, Miraelaw.

This isn't the first time that Apple has been sued over having iPhones secretly store users' location data; a similar case [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109569-Apple-Sued-for-Invading-Privacy-by-Tracking-iPhone-Movements] was filed in Florida by Vikram Ajjampur and William Devito in April of this year. Apple was also fined 3 million won ($2,851) by South Korean regulators for similar reasons earlier this year, a move which prompted the company to release a patch in May which it claimed would solve the iPhone's location tracking issues.

Miraelaw added that it hopes success will mean a boost for "privacy protection" in South Korea. At this point, it's more than a little tempting to wonder whether or not success would mean a raft of similar cases across the world (and about the consequences such cases would have for Apple), but we'll have to wait until October at the earliest to find out how the South Korean courts will respond.

Sources: Ubergizmo [http://english.aljazeera.net/business/2011/08/201181771314983753.html]

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
Let's all sue apple at once! no seriously! I want that to happen. Maybe microsoft can stop being the nice guy for a few months and fight back for once.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
I'm sure $26 Million is only a small fraction of what apple has.
It's pocket change to them.
[sub]Bastards...[/sub]

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
And after everyone is done suing them they will release the Iphone 17 and get all that money back.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
Argtee said:
[sub]Bastards...[/sub]
Why does everyone always act like losing millions isn't a big deal to a company. Losing 26 million dollars could cause Apple to have to cut jobs to make up for it. $26 million is a huge loss to any company, no matter what the company earns annually.

Argtee

Oct 31, 2009
JMan said:
Argtee said:
[sub]Bastards...[/sub]
Why does everyone always act like losing millions isn't a big deal to a company. Losing 26 million dollars could cause Apple to have to cut jobs to make up for it. $26 million is a huge loss to any company, no matter what the company earns annually.
please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere

iPhones are, let's say $200.

16% of smartphone users have apple smartphones.

There are, what, 6 billion people in the world?
So, 16% of 6 billion is about 960 000 000 (please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere)
Now, I know everyone in the world isn't using a smartphone ,so let's just use the population of America.

About 300 million.
Not all of america is using a smart phone, so let's cut it down to 100 million.

100 million people using a $200 phone, not to mention the iPad and all of apples other stuff. (i.e. mac)

I wasn't saying that Apple wouldn't have to compensate for a $26 million dollar lose, but seeing how much their stuff sells for, I'm sure that they'll get money that money back.

Edit:
SgtFoley said:
JMan said:
Argtee said:
[sub]Bastards...[/sub]
Its because the people who say things like that are idiots who do not think of the consequences.
Kind of rude, but it's your opinion.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Finally. Apple really is garbage. Their products aren't (hardware speaking) but the part where you really put your company's image into -software- is complete and utter bull. It really reflects how poorly they see their customers and how much a few little cosmetic touch ups can disguise any horrific business practices you may have.