Wii Loses Backwards Compatibility in Europe

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Wii Loses Backwards Compatibility in Europe

A new European Wii makes backwards compatibility a thing of the past.

If you live in Europe, have a stash of old GameCube games, and want to buy a Wii, your time is now limited. According to Nintendo, this Christmas will see the release of a newly-designed Wii in Europe. The new model is smaller and allows for easier horizontal orientation, but there's a catch: The system will lose its backwards compatibility with GameCube titles and accessories.

This news is especially salient for gamers who use GameCube controllers with Wii titles, such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii. Players who want to enjoy these titles without motion controls will still be able to, although they will have to invest in a Classic Controller or a third-party gamepad. Of course, players who simply wanted to play through titles like The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker or Eternal Darkness will be out of luck, too.

Starting this Christmas, Nintendo in Europe will be focusing on the new Wii bundles. A bundle will include the new Wii model, Wii Sports, Wii Party, a Wii Remote Plus, and a Nunchuck. Nintendo has yet to announce a price.

While GameCube compatibility is a nice thing to have, dropping compatibility features for cheaper prices or expanded features (PS3, DSi) seems to be an increasing trend in the console market. With Christmas still many months away, European gamers have plenty of time to get their hands on a backwards-compatible Wii.

Source: Eurogamer 3 [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-17-new-wii-loses-back-compatibility]

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
The Wii was like the smallest and cheapest console on the market. Why make it smaller and cheaper? It's not like the PS3 where they need to cut the cost of making the console to make a profit. I'm afraid I just don't get this.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
/shrug

thats sad but it has been 5 years now

I'm sure there are plenty of used ones that still have backwards comparability if someone cares. Nintendo really needs to let you use an external USB drive because there just isn't enough space for all the wiiware and VC games.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
The main source of the Wii's greatest games removed? Huh. Going to stick with my cube thanks.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, backwards compatibility was the main reason why I bought a Wii in the first place.

I like to play whatever game is compatible with the Cube controller whenever possible.

Also, my Cube has remained broken for quite some time, so the Wii is my main platform for all things Nintendo.

But on the other hand, I seriously doubt that 95% of the people who bought a Wii was for the same reason, heck, I even doubt they even know there were other consoles before and that the Wii is an amazing piece of retro gaming without inquiring the use of ilegal emulators.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
What happened to Nintendo used to being the best company for backwards compatibility but they have been going downhill since dsi. Do they think we have infinite inputs on our tvs? I see no reason to not have it.

tjoris9

Nov 25, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
/shrug

thats sad but it has been 5 years now

I'm sure there are plenty of used ones that still have backwards comparability if someone cares. Nintendo really needs to let you use an external USB drive because there just isn't enough space for all the wiiware and VC games.
I got a 2GB SD card for $20 and it works like a charm, and is the only extra space I'll ever need (It's something like 10x the Wii's internal storage). The port for the card is in the front panel you flip open.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
This doesn't effect me, as I already have a wii. But what is this bullshit?

Everybody seems to be going "Oh, we can't support past games because...money!" Screw you people, we want to play the older classics without having to BUY THEM AGAIN.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Well it lasted longer than the PS3's. I don't see why this and that new downgraded PSP are coming to Europe, and what the fucking point of it all is.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Well, I can sort of see the sense of removing GCN compatibility at this point. There are next to no GCN controllers on the market and the newest revision of the Classic Controller is almost just like one minus the rumble. If you ever wanted to play a GCN game, you could easily pick up a GCN for $30 used on the internet. Many stores are phasing out their GCN stock and most of the good games have been completely bought up. If you seriously wanted to play the GCN backlog, you'd likely need to search the internet anyway.

This makes much more sense than removing wi-fi from the PSP, at least.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Well at least it's not as bad as removing wifi from the PSP, which is an incredibly stupid move that Sony should be ashamed of themselves for.

kyoodle said:
Ah..I'm assuming the Wii U will be able to play GameCube games...
I think it was already confirmed that it won't.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
xyrafhoan said:
Well, I can sort of see the sense of removing GCN compatibility at this point. There are next to no GCN controllers on the market and the newest revision of the Classic Controller is almost just like one minus the rumble. If you ever wanted to play a GCN game, you could easily pick up a GCN for $30 used on the internet. Many stores are phasing out their GCN stock and most of the good games have been completely bought up. If you seriously wanted to play the GCN backlog, you'd likely need to search the internet anyway.

This makes much more sense than removing wi-fi from the PSP, at least.
The Classic Controller Pro is nothing like the Gamecube controller, it's more like a Dualshock controller (without the dualshock...LOL).

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Funny, most of the games you'd actually want to play on a Wii are Gamecube titles.

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
The only Wii games I still play regularly are Metroid Prime Trilogy - a collection of three games, two of which were made for the Gamecube - and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which I invariably play with a Gamecube controller. Other than that, I use my Wii for Gamecube games - I love The Wind Waker, and Super Monkey Ball is brought out whenever my younger neighbors come over.

In short, backwards compatibility is pretty much the reason I use the Wii nowadays. That doesn't seem like a feature you'd want to cut out.

]DustArma[

Mar 11, 2011
So they removed backwards compatibility with the Cube from a console that achieved it on the case of just being a beefier Gamecube?