Nathan Drake Gets Airborne, Shows Tender Side in New Uncharted 3 Trailer

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nathan Drake Gets Airborne, Shows Tender Side in New Uncharted 3 Trailer

You can't leave Nathan Drake alone for five minutes without him boarding a plane and getting in a fight.

Nathan Drake is never one to shy away from danger, but in this new trailer, it's pretty clear that this devil may care attitude doesn't extend to other people. While Drake is more than happy to infiltrate a rather sketchy looking airfield, he's not so keen on putting Elena in the same peril.

As you might expect from a series that draws so much inspiration from movies, the trailer is rather cinematic. In it, Drake sneaks across the airfield and boards a plane, but is discovered and has to fight to for his life. The trailer ends with Drake hanging out the back of a plane over a desert, and considering the box art for the game shows Drake in a desert near a crashed plan, it seems pretty safe to assume that neither he, nor the plane makes it out unscathed.

[gallery=427]

As well as the new trailer, there are a bunch of new screenshots. As you can see, the screens mostly show the same parts of the game as the trailer does, but looks at different areas and scenarios within them. There are also a few screens of Drake sneaking around what looks like a battered old ship, with another where Drake appears to be in imminent danger of drowning.

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception comes out for PS3 on November 1st.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
He seems to lack his smart-alecky charm nowadays. I know a lot of people didn't like it but I don't think lovestruck bawl is a good substitute.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
I like that Elena doesn't come with Drake not because she ineffectual but hes more skilled and her presence would be distracting at least that's how I saw the scene. Naughty dog seems to understand giving characters weakness doesn't make them weak characters

Diminished Capacity

Dec 15, 2010
That bit with the cargo net and the plane will look very similar to anyone who's ever seen the Bond film "The Living Daylights". Still looks cool though.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Diminished Capacity said:
That bit with the cargo net and the plane will look very similar to anyone who's ever seen the Bond film "The Living Daylights". Still looks cool though.
Thank you! I was trying to remember which one it was. Living Daylights was one of my favourite bond films.

Trailer looks good, exciting! Graphics look like they could use a bit of a polish but that's a minor gripe.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Hans Zimmer called. He wants his Batman Begins soundtrack back.

On a more serious note, while the game looks impressive, I can't help but think Naughty Dog are going too far down the 'cinematic' route. Sure, the setpieces in Uncharted always look spectacular, but I've always thought they made the game feel very un-interactive. Drake climbing up the wheel of a plane during takeoff looks like something out of a Diehard film, but if your only interaction with the scene is pushing the analogue stick up or down to make him move, then its hardly a shining example of what the medium can do.

I know I'm bringing a ton of potential shit down on my head for saying this, but I've always preferred the approach of games like Halo, where due to the more non-scripted nature of things, you can make your own stunts. Sure, they may not always work, but when they do it feels better than anything else in gaming.
Uncharted may not be a shining beacon of pure interactivity, but it is a shining example of melding cinematic visuals and presentation with very seamless gameplay. Its hook is that it plays like a movie, and that's actually why I love it. It's just interactive enough for me to not feel like I'm just watching.