Big Witcher 2 Update Coming Next Month

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Big Witcher 2 Update Coming Next Month

The Witcher 2 Version 2.0 will be released at the end of September, a free upgrade that will add a new tutorial, difficulty level, "Arena Mode" and more.

CD Projekt revealed today at Gamescom that The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Collectors-Pc/dp/B004CQRCF4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1313609909&sr=8-5] will be given a major facelift in September with the release of The Witcher 2 Version 2.0. Along with a raft of technical enhancements, the overhauled game will include a new tutorial system that will ease players into the game rather than dropping them on it face-first from 20 feet up, an "Arena Mode" that sets players against successive waves of increasingly difficult enemies and a new difficulty setting, "Dark Mode," described as almost as challenging as "Insane Mode" but with game saving allowed. "Dark Mode" will also add a series of powerful new "dark" items to the game and alter the campaign in unknown ways.

This isn't the first time CD Projekt has done such a thing, as you may recall. The original The Witcher Enhanced Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-Pc/dp/B000R2XJJK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1313609909&sr=8-10], which featured dramatically improved dialogs, better stability, numerous bug fixes and a couple of new quests. The Witcher Enhanced Edition was offered as a free download to all existing Witcher owners and the Version 2.0 upgrade of The Witcher 2 will be as well. CD Projekt also announced that the Xbox 360 version of the game will include all the Version 2.0 enhancements, plus all DLC releases.

The Witcher 2 Version 2.0 comes out on September 29, while the Xbox 360 edition of the game is slated for release in early 2012.

Source: GameSpy [http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-witcher-2/1188475p1.html]

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Is an overhaul of the menus so they feel like a PC game instead of "insert X360 buttons here" and a fix to the horrid mouse smoothness too much to ask?

Well, well, at least I got over a month to complete my first playthrough though.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
In before insecure Baldur's Gate fanboys complaining about CD Projekt finally learning the difference between depth and dickery for the sake of dickery.

UltraDolphins

May 20, 2011
I'm really trying to tell myself I don't need a second 6950 but things like this keep whispering in my ear and tempting me. Must... resist... urge... to spend all disposable income in one place...

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Awesome. I'll be sure to get it. CD Project Red deserves all the support we gamers can give them.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
Sounds nice. I am certainly intrigued by the Dark Mode.
Altering!? Special?! I FEEL SPECIAL!

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is why CD Projekt Red is one of the best developers around. Very exciting indeed. You guys are the best.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Is it really that much to ask for other bigger, developers to treat their consumers at least half as good as CDP does? Every other company out there would split the contents of that 2.0 patch alone into 4-5 DLCs, 5-10$ each, and yet CDP gives it away, for free...

Oct 30, 2010
Hmm, I picked up Witcher 2 during the Steam sale, haven't played it yet. I guess I'll wait a bit longer.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
UltraDolphins said:
I'm really trying to tell myself I don't need a second 6950 but things like this keep whispering in my ear and tempting me. Must... resist... urge... to spend all disposable income in one place...
But... It's an investment for future purposes...

Apr 28, 2008
Keava said:
Is it really that much to ask for other bigger, developers to treat their consumers at least half as good as CDP does? Every other company out there would split the contents of that 2.0 patch alone into 4-5 DLCs, 5-10$ each, and yet CDP gives it away, for free...
Plus, there's this little blurb on the game's GoG page [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_witcher_2/].

Since customers from Australia, New Zealand and the ones paying in Euros pay more than the rest of the world, we give back the price difference (roughly $26 and $16, respectively) in free GOG bonus codes, as a form of store credit. Please read this FAQ for details
Just amazing.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
Arena mode sounds awesome, I remember running around a camp full of soldiers in Loc Muinne
seeing how long I could survive.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
A tutorial?! PAH! Only those weak and stupid need a tutorial! CONSOLE SCRUBS RAAAAAAAAGH
Okay sorry, I had to.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Would the other developers of PC games kindly take note of this treatment of customers.

Bugs fixed , new content handed out for free , major overhaul to improve the game overall... free , even a new mode... also free.

I bet reading about so much content being handed out without a price tag would give Kotick, and the rest of the big publisher suits a heart attack, make them choke on thier expensive cuisine... oh I can dream ( no, Kotick you cant charge for dreams ).

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I am pleased with this! Gives me something more new when I do my second play through.