3DS Tekken Includes 40 Fighters And A Movie

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
3DS Tekken Includes 40 Fighters And A Movie

Using the ongoing Gamescom conference as a platform, Namco Bandai has revealed a host of surprising details on the upcoming Nintendo 3DS Tekken title.

Dubbed Tekken 3D Prime Edition, the game is said to feature 40 characters, all new exclusive stages and a host of classic stages that have been redesigned specifically for the title. Siliconera also claims the game will feature wifi functionality and thus online multiplayer gameplay.

That all seems relatively congruent with the average big budget 3DS title, but less expected however, is the game's inclusion of Tekken: Blood Vengeance right on the cart.

For those of you who don't follow every bit of Tekken ephemera as if it was your own personal punch-fueled religion, here's a synopsis of the talent behind Tekken: Blood Vengeance, courtesy Twitch [http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/05/first-teaser-for-cg-animated-film-tekken-blood-vengeance.php]:

The full length CG animated film will be helmed by Youichi Mouri, the director of the cinematics to Tekken 5 and Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion. Also on board the project is Dai Sato, the screenwriter to Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex with Digital Frontier, the production house behind Resident Evil: Degeneration and Appleseed Ex Machina, producing the animation.

The film saw an incredibly small theatrical release here in the US, and while a Blu-Ray release is planned [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/3790-Tekken-Hybrid?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=news], this offers Tekken fans a chance to see a film that actually lives up to the game's wacky, hyper-kinetic fisticuffs.

So far the package seems solid, but based on the newly-released trailer embedded above, I have reservations about the game's aesthetics. After a year of Tekken 6's gorgeous one-on-one fighting, this 3DS adaptation seems a bit blocky. I realize that's probably an unavoidable issue given the hardware's capabilities, but it's still a glaring issue in my mind.

Hopefully Namco Bandai can smooth out the game's rough edges before it sees retail. I mean, obviously I'm going to buy it anyway because I have no impulse control, but it would be nice if the game looked a bit better than it does as of now.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/17/tekken-3d-prime-edition-includes-tekken-blood-vengeance-on-the-cart/]

Demoliboy2

Dec 21, 2009
If capcom could make SSF4 look almost as good as the console versions, there is no excuse for Namco to not do better than this. Too little space in the card? Don't include the horrible movie.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Demoliboy2 said:
If capcom could make SSF4 look almost as good as the console versions, there is no excuse for Namco to not do better than this. Too little space in the card? Don't include the horrible movie.
The reason that the 3ds streetfighter game looked good is the cell shading artstyle.
Tekken doesn't happen to have that. You can't have high end graphics without high end tech not sure why you believe that is possible.
Also extra storage space doesn't improve graphics quality either.
movie seems like agimick if i ever saw one.
whatever tekken was fun in the ps2 days and the 3ds has a great d-pad.