Warface Comes West in 2012

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Warface Comes West in 2012

Warface, Crytek's free-to-play online military shooter, will make its way to Western markets next year.

Crytek revealed Warface [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105643-Crytek-Shows-Its-Warface] in November 2010 as a free-to-play online military shooter aimed at Asian markets, where micropayment-supported games are common. Set in the near future, Warface will support both co-op and PvP gameplay, but what it didn't appear to support was a commitment to Western shooter fans; Crytek said the game is "especially dedicated to the Korean and other Asian markets" and that the office it opened in South Korea in 2008 was specifically intended to help the company reach that market.

But today the company revealed that everyone, no matter where they live, will be able to get in on the action. "With Warface we aim to become the next-gen of free-to-play shooters that are on par with traditional AAA games in terms of quality. We have the team and technology to make it happen and are starting with a strong partner in Asia to ensure we gain experience with the free to play business model," Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said in a statement. "It's the next logical step for us to bring this new IP to a global audience and thus to our worldwide community."

I'm not entirely sure what "Warface" means in the context of the game but I do know that there's no valid excuse for not immediately forming a mental image of R. Lee Ermey www.warface.com [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6vHOR8lzTg].

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
RAWG! Let me see your WARFACE!

I so hope this game is win. I would give anything to see Crytek's shooter prowess come to fruition in an MMOFPS that is actually worth playing(as opposed to the handful that aren't)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Same here. I haven't played many F2P online shooters, TF2 obviously and War, Inc., which was not great, although it suffered rather badly from underpopulated servers. If Crytek can bring its FPS expertise to the field and attract enough of an audience to make it worth playing, we could have a real winner on our hands.