Fake an Alien Invasion, Save the U.S. Economy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fake an Alien Invasion, Save the U.S. Economy

Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman says that what the United States needs right now to get the economy chugging again is a good old-fashioned fake alien invasion.

The U.S. economy is in pretty rough shape right now and all signs point to things getting a whole lot worse before they start to get better. Plenty of people have plenty of ideas on how to turn things around - raise taxes, cut spending, invade Canada - but Paul Krugman has what may be the most audaciously imaginative silver bullet of them all: fake an invasion of the planet by aliens from outer space.

"Think about World War Two, right? That was actually negative social product spending and yet it brought us out," Krugman said in an interview on CNN. "If we discovered that space aliens were planning to attack and we needed a massive build-up to counter the space alien threat, and inflation and budget deficits took secondary place to that, this slump would be over in 18 months."

"And then if we discovered, 'whoops, we made a mistake, there aren't actually any space aliens,' we'd [still] be better," he added.

Krugman, for the record, isn't just some guy [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krugman] off the street with a stupid idea. He's a Professor of Economics and International Affairs at Princeton, Centenary Professor at the London School of Economics, a columnist for the New York Times and he won the 2008 Nobel Prize in Economics. That's a pretty solid CV right there.

He also pointed out, in support of his idea, that this isn't the first time someone has put forth such a theory. "There was a Twilight Zone episode like this, in which scientists faked an alien threat in order to achieve world peace," he said. "Well this time we need it in order to get some fiscal stimulus."

via: BoingBoing [http://boingboing.net/2011/08/17/paul-krugman-save-the-economy-by-staging-an-alien-invasion-hoax.html]

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Plenty of people have plenty of ideas on how to turn things around - raise taxes, cut spending, invade Canada
...hey, that's not nice...

OT: Sounds like he was inspired by the original War of the Worlds.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Damn, that'd actually be really entertaining. I kinda want to see something like that happen.

Since when did Ozymandias start working as an economist?

Artanith

Summoner
Feb 10, 2010
We'll know it's fake until it turns out to be real. Then we will be in a perfect position to deal with it.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
He also pointed out, in support of his idea, that this isn't the first time someone has put forth such a theory. "There was a Twilight Zone episode like this, in which scientists faked an alien threat in order to achieve world peace
Watchmen

Also with a CV like that i agree with everything he says about his field.

LaBarnes

Oct 23, 2009
Yeah, because the two wars we were just in were SOOOO good for our economy. Wait no, that's why we just about had to default the other day... Shut up, Keynesians.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Ok, something is physcologically wrong with you when your suggestion to make the US economy better iscrazier insane than the Onion's: http://www.theonion.com/video/us-government-stages-fake-coup-to-wipe-out-nationa,14356/

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
esperandote said:
He also pointed out, in support of his idea, that this isn't the first time someone has put forth such a theory. "There was a Twilight Zone episode like this, in which scientists faked an alien threat in order to achieve world peace
Watchmen

Also with a CV like that i agree with everything he says about his field.
The Twilight Zone was before Watchmen though. :)

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Hey I've read the watchmen too. Seriously, this is how you know it's a slow newsday.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
World War II is only one data point! There's no guarantee something like that would work again.

LeeshaJoy

Jun 22, 2009
Sure, WW2 was good for America, because afterward it was the only major first-world country that didn't have its infrastructure decimated by bombing, and therefore had a near monopoly on manufacturing. The post-war era sucked for the rest of the developed world. Try again, Krugman.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
We are all aware that the quality of life during World War II was not better? Whatever the "economy" means, and I think such people want it to mean "production of goods for the purposes of the State," I could care less if it is improving when the quality of life on the mass is decreasing. I won't go into the massive loss of liberty seen in America during the second World War.

To sum up, I could give a shit about the "economy," so long as improving it meant a loss of liberty and/or purchasing power. An alien invasion would make plebs of us all. We would become conscripted. While we would have zero unemployment, we would also go hungry. On the up-side, we would all go hungry together. Well, that's not true; our leaders have to eat well... to keep up their strength.

Jan 27, 2011
So...the plan to get out of the recession is to spend even MORE money on weaponry? ...Isn't that part of the reason the US got INTO the recession in the first place?

Andy Chalk said:
Plenty of people have plenty of ideas on how to turn things around - raise taxes, cut spending, invade Canada
...And then get owned by the harsh winter? I want to know who is suggesting the US invade us. I got some strong words for him. Words like "dude, Don't be such a jerk!"

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
It wasnt any more true when Regan said it back in the 80s. We have the proof in that weve been in "war mode" since 1990s and at the early part of the 90s yes it helped get the economy moving, but this illustrates the effect of a long protracted war effort has on an economy. After a while it begins grinding to a halt, which is what we are in now.

You can only migrate production from typical manufacturing industry to war centric industry before the infrastructure starts to crack under the stress.

Edit: this is a case where peace is hurting the economy because we are on too good of relations with those who would be considered adversaries to the point we keep sending them our manufacturing jobs. Places like Pakistan and China come to mind. Perhaps we could save the economy by taxing the hell out of any corporation exporting jobs out of the country equal to the amount they make by doing so. You would see one of two things occur. Either these companies bring the jobs back to the US in order to stay in business here Or the company would be more concerned with their profits and stop all relations with the US thus giving smaller companies in the US the opportunity to rise up and compete.

Seriously you dont have to go looking for aliens to save the economy, just look at the situation in front of you.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
RatRace123 said:
Damn, that'd actually be really entertaining. I kinda want to see something like that happen.

Since when did Ozymandias start working as an economist?
He always was... I personally think Ozymandias is probably the most OP non-superhuman hero ever concieved. Smart enough to conviece of such a plan and skill combatant (even more so he can actually predict his oppenants moves, if I remember correctly), never fair.

OT, he does have a point, wars suck but can be good for the economy... that is not a perfect theory, as there are flaws.