Computers Can Now Sense Your Personality

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Computers Can Now Sense Your Personality

The robot overlords can sense your fear.

Other people can often tell how you feel based on your facial expressions. Now, machines can do the same thing. A group of researchers working with the National Institute of Mental Health programmed a piece of software that can read users' faces and approximate their behavior. Furthermore, upon testing the software on images of celebrity faces, the researchers found that the software's appraisal of them was in line with public perception.

"For some traits such as attractiveness and extroversion, there are relationships between specific structural features and social perceptions," reads a research paper published in the PLoS one science journal.

Operating on this principle, a team of scientists from the United States and Spain designed a program to measure the dimensions of a human face, then conscripted a number of undergrads to rate the faces based on traits such as "Competent," "Trustworthy," "Mean," and "Frightening." Combining the qualitative and quantitative analyses allowed the researchers to develop a system where a computer could autonomously predict an individual's traits.

"In a world characterized by an ever growing amount of interactive artifacts, it is important to develop better human-centric systems that incorporate human communicative behaviors," the paper explains. Facial recognition technology already has applications in security and social networking, so taking the technology a step further could help everyone from sociologists to policemen.

Of course, this breakthrough is somewhat limited by the fact that facial expressions are subject to interpretation, highly mutable, and vary from culture to culture. Still, a computer that can not only recognize a person, but also how the person feels, is one step closer to a truly autonomous machine. For your safety, we at The Escapist recommend wearing face-concealing Masks of Subservience when interfacing with machines from now on.

Source: CNET [http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0023323#s4]

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
The fact it always calculates a personality as "violent physcopath that must be exterminated" is nothing to worry about.

Dec 14, 2009
Wait, so the machines will soon be able to feel awkwardness?

I know I would if I had to watch a guy's sex face.

Son of a Mitch

Aug 7, 2011
Soon, everyone will be wearing Guy Fawkes masks while surfing the internet, just to fool our new robot overlords.

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
This actually pretty cool. I'm interested to see what games can do with it.

On another note, I'm predicting a site that examines your face and tells you how attractive you are sometime in the near future.

Sep 14, 2009
facebook has an all new meaning...

but this is pretty cool i suppose, if nothing for amusement or to tell the "freak of the week" guy that he looks like a pedophile rapist who is always pissed off.

Holyeskimo

Jul 14, 2010
Goddamn it, why are they making them smarter. i wonder if "protection of humanities future safety" would be a good enough reason to cause horrific damage to the equipment they're using?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Congratulations you programmed a machine to make the same mistakes about people based on stereotypical ideas of facial expressions that humans do. I think AI research works best when we try to program something that works in a way humans can't. That's useful. Programming machines to think like us is cool and all, but humans have flaws, that why we invented machines.

Carbonific

Apr 3, 2011
So it senses your personality based upon your appearance? I'm surely not the only one that can see the obvious flaw in this.

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
My computer always knows me, it refuses to do anything I ask of it when it's imperative that the computer should do what it is supposed to. It knows how to enrage me just for it's own personal amusement. In short my computer is evil.