New Screens Give Fresh Look at Skyrim's Elves, Orcs and Lizard Folks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Screens Give Fresh Look at Skyrim's Elves, Orcs and Lizard Folks

It's the small details that really make a character come to life, and Skyrim [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HYK956/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d0_g63_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0AJC2GX3BNSJ1T4K7WT5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846] seems to have those in spades.

If you think you've seen everything that Skyrim's character creator has to offer, then think again, because these new screens show that there's plenty of little touches that you can add to your characters to make them truly unique.

[gallery=434]

These screens don't show as wide a range of races as the previous batch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112271-Bethesda-Shows-Off-QuakeCon-Skyrim-Characters], but they do show some of the smaller details you'll be able to apply to your character. The Redguard, for example, has lost the use of her right eye, and the Khajiit and the female Dark Elf have scars on their faces. There are also the various face paint options you can see on the Orc and the male Dark Elf.

As a long-time Oblivion player who has spent hours wrestling with the game's various sliders and options just to get something that looks vaguely human - or Argonian, or Khajiit, or whatever - it's pretty exciting to see just how much better Skyrim's characters look. I don't know about anyone else, but I can myself losing hours making countless Redguard pirates, Breton knights, Orc illusionists, and plenty more characters besides.

The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Does this mean we get canine companions!

Anyway, they've really upped the level of character customation. One of those had a damaged eye.

Dec 14, 2009
I am one of those people who will spend hours trying to get my characters to look just the way I like.

This pleases me.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Still no Altmer or Breton.

Well I'm glad we can now once again make Khajiits tiger-ish compared to Oblivion.

I also hope that Bethesda bring back the chain-smoking Dunmer voice from Morrowind, plus others of course for some variety.

Also blue Argonian skin needs to be brought back, there was only one character in Oblivion I made that actually looked remotely good, and that was my blue Argonian.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
i.want.to.see.a.breton!

hah, looks pretty cool.... but im afraid of one thing, oblivion also looked cool and turned out to... well, not bad, but "not as good as on the screens".....

im also impressed with the dog.... looks awesome. hoods looks cool too.

gah, need to stop watching skyrim trailers/ss.

I.CANT.WAIT!

Fertro

Aug 19, 2011
If only we could make our characters fat, at the sacrifice of some stamina. I could truly create myself!

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Optional facial scars! WOOO!

Do we have to choose from preset scar patterns/combos, or do we get to design them from scratch? I'm not saying I particularily WANT to play as a character with a Tic Tac Toe pattern or a dirty word scrawled on their face - but having the POSSIBILITY would be awesome!

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Man, this game cannot get here soon enough for me.

First playthrough? Dunmer spellsword. AWWWWWWWWW YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Catchy Slogan said:
Does this mean we get canine companions!

Anyway, they've really upped the level of character customation. One of those had a damaged eye.
Yep, they've said you can have companions, both human and animals :)

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
EightGaugeHippo said:
Why does the Female Dunmer look like a Klingon?
Ninja'd.

*sigh* Well, at least they're getting customisation almost to the level of what the modding community did with the last game. Female Dark Elves are generally my character of choice, and if Bethesda's vision of them is as ugly Klingons, that does not bode well.

GruntOwner

Feb 22, 2009
D'awwwwwww. Look at the scraggy mut >.<.

I'm also curious about the lack of Altmer and Breton. Mainly altmer, because they looked awful in Oblivion and I wanna see how they... Do whatever they did to make Dumner look so cool... With Altmer.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Some of them Orcs look like Orc/Human halfbreeds. lol. Normally i play Dark Elf, but those Argonians look awesome so may play as them.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Now that's a good looking orc. I can't wait to make an orc who actually looks like a total badass. I wonder if I can give him the same red skin tone that I gave my orc in Oblivion...

noble cookie

Aug 6, 2010
Oh yeah! Pets FTW!

Never knew until now that there would be companions, now my dreams of become an archer-hunter are beginning to come true!
All I wanted was pets to complete how I was gonna play in Skyrim.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I now have a dilemma in morrowind and oblivion I just chose one of the human races as I couldn't stand how the other races looked so silly. But now I'm spoilt for choice; Dunmer, Argonian or Khajiits I can't decide they all look amazing.