GameStop to Challenge OnLive with Streaming Service

Brian Albert

Aug 5, 2011
GameStop to Challenge OnLive with Streaming Service

GameStop's digital delivery service, which is currently in beta, may send OnLive downstream.

In May, GameStop purchased Spawn Labs, a streaming technology company, with the intent of offering high-definition videogames directly to "any internet-enabled device." The retail giant recently announced that the service is already in beta, with several testers currently streaming full games.

"Spawn recently began its first beta and is currently live, testing the streaming of Xbox 360, PS3 and PC games from a data center in Austin, Texas," said Tony Bartel, president of GameStop.

The cloud-enabled service is said to be capable of format crossovers, including streaming World of Warcraft to an iPad or full PC games to Facebook. Though currently in closed beta, there are plans for it to open up by the end of 2011. Early next year, GameStop is expected to drop details regarding dedicated hardware, pricing models, and a launch date.

OnLive currently offers 3-and 5-day rentals, most for fewer than eight dollars, as well as a $10/month bundle that includes unlimited access to several games. Though not an exact indicator, it's not unreasonable to expect GameStop's prices to be comparable to these, assuming they even allow for a rental option.

In addition to PC streaming, GameStop says it's working with publishers to stream games to smart devices (phones, tablets) as well as to dedicated hardware through a Spawn software client. Regarding a "GameStop box" similar to OnLive's microconsole, Bartel had this to say:

"Those conversations are taking place today," Bartel said. "There's a whole cadre of services that GameStop can offer far beyond just Spawn. The beauty of Spawn is it can take a very large assortment of games. There's really no restriction versus an Xbox 360 and PlayStation game."

"We're also experimenting with PC game delivery as well, but we can take that to any Internet-connected device including TV. So clearly, it's part of our acquisition forethought. We anticipated being involved in smart TVs as well."

Way to sidestep that topic, sir.

OnLive obviously has a head start on this section of the market, and if its talks with Sony, Microsoft, and Valve bear fruit, that lead may grow even more. Can GameStop, with its unrivaled retail power, hope to muscle its way past the competition?

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-08-19-gamestops-console-game-streaming-in-early-beta>Gamesindustry

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
They need to do this or they will be out of business in 10 years. Their entire business model is fucked because the people who supply their products are actively trying to cut them out of the supply chain.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Brian Albert said:
OnLive currently offers 3-and 5-day rentals, most for fewer than eight dollars, as well as a $10/month bundle that includes unlimited access to several games. Though not an exact indicator, it's not unreasonable to expect GameStop's prices to be comparable to these, assuming they even allow for a rental option.
It's a little unreasonable. We are talking about the same store that will offer you $10 for a game you paid $60 for a week ago then turn around and re-sell it for $57.99.
What gamestop needs to do is to make it personal and "friendly." I think one of the reasons people like gamestop is because when they go there, some bozo in a polo will engage them in conversation. The purpose is to sell used games, pre-orders, and magazine subscriptions but it makes the consumer feel like they have a friend who's interested in what they think about games. It's a little sad and to someone who just wants to go in there and buy a game it's pretty annoying but it works for them and it's probably the reason they have their own fanboys.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
No thanks. Just like OnLive, this is really nothing but always online DRM in disguise as a worthwhile service. I'm not falling for it though. Just like any other game that has this DRM, I'm not handing over any of my money. Get lost GameStop.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
GonzoGamer said:
Brian Albert said:
It's a little unreasonable. We are talking about the same store that will offer you $10 for a game you paid $60 for a week ago then turn around and re-sell it for $57.99.
What gamestop needs to do is to make it personal and "friendly." I think one of the reasons people like gamestop is because when they go there, some bozo in a polo will engage them in conversation. The purpose is to sell used games, pre-orders, and magazine subscriptions but it makes the consumer feel like they have a friend who's interested in what they think about games. It's a little sad and to someone who just wants to go in there and buy a game it's pretty annoying but it works for them.
Returning a 60$ game after a week will get you 30-35$, still a ripoff though.

OT: I guess something like this could work, but OnLive hasn't really caught on yet so we'll wait and see.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
mjc0961 said:
No thanks. Just like OnLive, this is really nothing but always online DRM in disguise as a worthwhile service. I'm not falling for it though. Just like any other game that has this DRM, I'm not handing over any of my money. Get lost GameStop.
really more of a service to people who cant afford buying their own console/games/gaming computer. this you just turn on tv, pay 10 20 dollars/euros, play game. this isnt really meant for people who can afford game costs, but more for people who cant.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
draythefingerless said:
mjc0961 said:
really more of a service to people who cant afford buying their own console/games/gaming computer. this you just turn on tv, pay 10 20 dollars/euros, play game. this isnt really meant for people who can afford game costs, but more for people who cant.
I agree with you.

It's sad to me that seemingly reasonable people have such a knee jerk reaction to video game streaming. I'm not sure why it is, but I think it's just ignorance around the technology involved.

Frankly, it all makes perfect sense if you think of it this way:

Imagine if you could subscribe to video games like you do with cable television. Any game you want to play, available to be played, by anyone in your home, for a monthly fee.

That's the business model and pretty much what it offers. People can quibble about the state of the current technology, but the assumption has to be that ultimately they will perfect it and the experience of video game streaming will be as good, if not better over all, than owning a physical copy and the console to go with it.

I'm actually a PC Gamer really (Although I do own a console), and I can say without a doubt that when the technology gets good enough and there are enough games on offer, I'd probably sign right up without a hesitation - and this is coming from a guy who loves hardware (and has a gaming computer that far exceeds the requirements of any modern game). The potential for convience and variety is just too great. I'd gladly subscribe to a system that gave me both of these...