Twist and Browse in New Xbox Dashboard

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Twist and Browse in New Xbox Dashboard

The next dashboard update for the Xbox 360 will expand the options for anyone who'd rather not touch a controller.

Be honest: is your 360 dashboard looking a little jumbled lately? Microsoft thinks so, and it has a solution. The Xbox 360 dashboard will see a new interface called Twist Control sometime around Christmas. This update will work fine with a normal controller, but is optimized for voice commands and motion controls via the Kinect add-on.

Twist Control uses channels on top of the screen instead of the traditional Xbox channel-scrolling. While the interface does not appear radically different from the existing dashboard, a video [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-19-new-xbox-360-dash-is-called-twist-control] outlining the improvements made finding media and connecting with friends considerably more streamlined than before. In addition to the aesthetic differences, Twist Control will allow Kinect owners to browse with expanded motion and voice controls. One new feature in particular, the Beacons, will allow users to "signpost" their activities in order to attract friends via XBL and Facebook.

Representatives from Microsoft debuted the new UI at Gamescom and detailed the thought process behind the redesign. "Hopefully the new dash will show this service proposition goes beyond gaming," said Robin Burrowes, an Xbox live product marketing manager. There are currently over 20,000 pieces of media available through the various Xbox and Zune services, and some selections have attracted a whole new audience. Burrowes notes that the availability of Disney movies through Zune has broadened their demographics considerably.

Twist Control may not revolutionize the Xbox 360 experience, but it seems like a big step towards making the game console friendlier to a less tech-savvy audience.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-08-19-new-xbox-360-dash-is-called-twist-control]

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
question for kinect users: can i use my dick for anything?
otherwise idgaf. and why does the dashboard need more shit?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
The tabs kind of remind me of Steam's layout. You know, Store - Library - News - Community

I can dig it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
You can watch you avatar watch TV, fucking fantastic...

What is RARE doing for the past few years?

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
T-Bone24 said:
Why is "games" the fifth tab on this new dashboard?
I agree, just because social media is a big use of the Xbox doesn't mean that games are being used less.
Come on guys, it's a game device first.

PHOENIXRIDER57

Mar 2, 2010
I walk into my living room and yell: "Xbox, on. TV, on. Netflix, play Firefly." Nothing happens when I do this. Is Microsoft gonna fix this problem I have soon? I also get nothing to happen when I say things like: "Xbox, I'm hungry." or "Xbox, make me a sandwich."

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I was only interested in the new menu interface. Seems like a reasonable step, especially after the last major menu change made the individual "planes" to select more difficult to use.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The first thing their technology can learn about me is that I don't want 50 million facebook icons getting in my way, so keep that like shit out of my way so I can play some god damn video games.

Seriously, at the rate facebook is going, I'm going to wake up one day and find that they've put like buttons on everything from my alarm clock to my pack of gum.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
"A Less tech savvy audience?"

Who was the "special child" who started crying when they couldn't get viva pinata to start up. you put the CD in, if for some odd reason the game doesn't start up, you press A on the box that says the name of your video game on it.

Fuck I miss the first 360 dashboard, something was sex about it, hell bringing it back would bring back alot of nostalgia, but apparently the sound it makes when it switches menus freaks out moms and special children.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
2 things:

First, they have the option to hide the Welcome channel. Why can't I hide all the useless shit they have and just show the tabs I want and use?

Second... once again, MS says "Fuck you. You're an idiot if you spent any money on buying themes". I still miss the blades.

EDIT: One last thing: My mom has a 360 for the few games she really enjoys. It took her a while to get comfortable with the blades and then she was quite upset when they changed the interface. Now the so-called "less tech-savvy" has to learn a new interface again. Why the fuck is that?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I get the feeling that M$ don't even want gamers to use the 360...

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
GeorgW said:
Dear Microsoft: XBox Division - You need to replace about half of your team and fast. You went from"Ggggrrr... We iz hardcore gamerz. Grrr Extreme!!" to a Wii driven kitten meme. While you seemed to brilliantly reach a middle ground (albeit for a short while) during the transition, the release of the kinect and those in charge of it has seemed to chop your proverbial nuts off.

Seriously though, they are so obsessed to pandering to that Wii/Kinect crowd that they fail to see if they continue this path, they'll be doomed with their next console. The majority of people who helped Microsoft lead the competition with the other consoles since the early Wii boom will choose another console during the next gen. We only tolerate this shit because we're stuck with you shoving it down our throats.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
PeePantz said:
GeorgW said:
Dear Microsoft: XBox Division - You need to replace about half of your team and fast. You went from"Ggggrrr... We iz hardcore gamerz. Grrr Extreme!!" to a Wii driven kitten meme. While you seemed to brilliantly reach a middle ground (albeit for a short while) during the transition, the release of the kinect and those in charge of it has seemed to chop your proverbial nuts off.

Seriously though, they are so obsessed to pandering to that Wii/Kinect crowd that they fail to see if they continue this path, they'll be doomed with their next console. The majority of people who helped Microsoft lead the competition with the other consoles since the early Wii boom will choose another console the during the next gen. We only tolerate this shit because we're stuck with you shoving it down our throats.
Yeah, it's gonna take a lot for me to get the next xbox. That said, I think it's a pretty smart move by M$, financially, the xbox fanboys are pretty resilient.